The next class action?

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Now Apple is refusing to accept cash for iPhones in stores (but it's okay for other products).

I didn't think retail storefront companies could refuse legal tender. I bet some lawyers are salivating about this, with Apple discriminating against people without credit cards.

A straight move to block resales to Euroland, where the weak dollar is driving prices up.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
According to Engadget posters, Apple can put any conditions they want on payment. They know Apple fans will put up with anything in any case.

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

This is true...at the Federal level. But what about the state level? They can regulate commerce practices, and some may take issue saying this is discrimination (esp. since it is just iPhone, and not all their products.)

Whether or not it discrimniatory doesn't matter - the lawyers will find a way when the $$$ are there.

I'm hard pressed to find an example of a consumer electronic retail company not accepting cash (or gift cards!) for a particular item, but accepting it for all others.

But hey, this is Apple, so they forge their own path.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
This is true...at the Federal level. But what about the state level? They can regulate commerce practices, and some may take issue saying this is discrimination (esp. since it is just iPhone, and not all their products.)

Whether or not it discrimniatory doesn't matter - the lawyers will find a way when the $$$ are there.

I'm hard pressed to find an example of a consumer electronic retail company not accepting cash (or gift cards!) for a particular item, but accepting it for all others.

I think the federal law trumps state law where it comes to federal money, but I'm not a lawyer or anything.

About Apple forging their own path, for sure. It's a pretty teen-unfriendly way of doing things.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dormant_Commerce_Clause
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preemption_(law)

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I think the federal law trumps state law where it comes to federal money, but I'm not a lawyer or anything.

About Apple forging their own path, for sure. It's a pretty teen-unfriendly way of doing things.

Not true - at least not with state commerce (within it's borders, as long as it does not affect interstate commerce). State can regulate product purchases, etc. This is not regulating the money, but rather the commerce (intrastate). Two different things.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

Quoting wiki as your source is nice, but those don't apply here.

The first deals with INTERSTATE commerce. The second deals with state law conflicting with federal.

INTRASTATE commerce is still in the realms of the states. Also, there is no federal law that would conflict with a state discrimiation claim.

There in lies the rub. The states (or people could sue in state courts) and go after Apple. Will they? Who knows.

Still, when is the last time a retail business refuses cash for one item, but not another? I can buy a $2,500 Mac with cash, but not a $399 iPhone?

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Not true - at least not with state commerce (within it's borders, as long as it does not affect interstate commerce). State can regulate product purchases, etc. This is not regulating the money, but rather the commerce (intrastate). Two different things.

There's a famous case where the supreme court found that a law telling a farmer how much grain he could grow FOR HIS OWN USE was inTERstate commerce, because in aggregate it affects national commerce.

Here we have advertising/solicitation on TV and the internet, both of which are interstate media, a company with national presence and stores in many states, probably incorporated in one state and headquartered in another, selling phones to use on a phone network that crosses state borders and which is regulated by the FCC, and the issue comes down to whether federally printed and issued currency can be used or whether credit cards, which are issued by federally insured and regulated banks and which have their transactions cleared on interstate or international banking networks, can be required.

Given the case law, this particular case seems pretty interstate to me. Imagine the effect on interstate commerce if no one could require identification, credit checks, etc. prior to engaging in a transaction.

I'm willing to place a friendly wager on what happens, if you'd like :)

Update: The case to which I referred: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickard_v._Filburn

If you don't like wikipedia, I can PM you a copy of the actual decision by the court.