Wanna pull the trigger on an iPhone, but...

iomatic

Feb 6, 2005
Visit site
Will the iPhone SIM be usable on the Treo for DUN, and such? Or, will I be able to activate the iPhone and use my current SIM (64K cingular), or...?

thanks.

ronbo2000

Mar 16, 2003
Visit site
iPhone SIM is not user accessible. You have to open up the case and that voids your warrantee.

Either you get a new account to use the iPhone or transfer your account.

DITTON

Dec 26, 2006
Visit site
iPhone SIM is not user accessible. You have to open up the case and that voids your warrantee.

Either you get a new account to use the iPhone or transfer your account.

No you don't? The iPhone SIM slides into the top of the phone on a tray and is user accessible and does not void you warranty if the tray is removed.

ancker

Dec 6, 2006
Visit site
The iPhone SIM is user accessible and does not void your warranty to remove it. You cannot, however, activate you 64k SIM in the iPhone. The iPhone SIM will work in other phones, other SIMs will NOT work in the iPhone.

I have an iPhone and a Treo 680 and do just this.

I use the iPhone for most day to day stuff but swap the SIM back into the Treo for all sorts of business stuff. Haven't tried DUN on the Treo or the iPhone.

ronbo2000

Mar 16, 2003
Visit site
my bad ...

I misinterpreted that one unless the design changed. The initial reports was you cannot take the SIM card out. :(

iomatic

Feb 6, 2005
Visit site
The iPhone SIM is user accessible and does not void your warranty to remove it. You cannot, however, activate you 64k SIM in the iPhone. The iPhone SIM will work in other phones, other SIMs will NOT work in the iPhone.

I have an iPhone and a Treo 680 and do just this.

I use the iPhone for most day to day stuff but swap the SIM back into the Treo for all sorts of business stuff. Haven't tried DUN on the Treo or the iPhone.

That's totally fine as a scenario for me. I just want a functioning SIM for my Treo, be it from the iPhone, or my current 64K cingular card... so, it's all good then?

I need the Treo as a backup; and one that can perform overseas and DUN, and the like.

One more thing:
http://www.dr-chuck.com/csev-blog/000365.html
I just swapped my Cingular SIM into the iPhone from the Treo - connected to iTunes - and 10 minutes later I was making iPhone-calls.

Is this just a fluke?
Thanks.

DITTON

Dec 26, 2006
Visit site
As far as I know it should work fine man, I've never heard anything about a special SIM card, as long as it's a registered or unlocked iPhone it should work fine.

iomatic

Feb 6, 2005
Visit site
what what? Didn't exactly understand.

Can I get it at the AT&T store and activate it there with my Cingular SIM (I'm at work, so could I activate it at work, even though my 'main' computer is at home?)

iomatic

Feb 6, 2005
Visit site
TreoCentral.com > Palm Devices > Treo 680

WRONG FORUM.

Puhlease.

I'm just asking for help migrating from the treo. Well, now that I have, it is indeed time for the iPhone forum.

Congrats, you're the first and only person on my ignore list; feel free to return the compliment.

OKTHXBY

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
you need to activate the iPhone via itunes, probably best done at home. The sim, for full functuality, should be linked to an iPhone plan. Beyond that, the treo should work just fine.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
One thing to note is that even if you swap the iPhone SIM into a phone that supports MMS you still won't be able to send MMS messages. At least I haven't been able to from my Pantech C3b. I havent tried putting my SIM back in my Treo....

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
I should mention that you could use the iPhone on a non-AT&T sim (such as a Cingular SIM card), you just have to use a 3rd party activation tool. depending on which version of firmware you're using, that could be iNdependence.app for macs or iBrickr for PCs...

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
I've used my iPhone SIM in my Treo 750, Blackjack, and 8525. No problems at all, and I do get 3G service where available. Just like any other AT&T SIM card.

iomatic

Feb 6, 2005
Visit site
Interesting stuff. Haven't yet needed to dust off the Treo 680 yet, but it'll probably be handy for traveling, since it's unlocked and, well, the iPhone is not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR