Thoughts thus far? I'm waiting till I get home to update my phone. I'm excited that the call volume is supposedly louder and being able to change the SMS message tone.
    09-27-2007 02:54 PM
    Here are the reported changes:

- iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
    - Louder speaker phone and receiver volume
    - Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
    - Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
    - Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
    - Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered
    - Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
    - Support for TV Out
    - Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
    - New Passcode lock time intervals
    - Adjustable alert volume

Also someone over at Everything iPhone with an unlocked phone reported that the update made their phone unusable. Link

So I guess if you have an unlocked phone and don't want an expensive paper weight, you might want to wait.
    09-27-2007 03:07 PM
    Apple will continue to break unlock phones. They want the carrier revenue, plain and simple.
    09-27-2007 04:38 PM
    Shouldn't be unlocking em..lol
    09-27-2007 06:19 PM
    What about third party apps? Are they working? Broken?
    09-27-2007 06:24 PM
    I've heard some mixed things about that. I don't have any on my phone but I've heard that some are broken but other people have said things like ring tones were still there. I think a lot of them are going to break, because it's a pretty big update (a little over 150 mb).
    09-27-2007 06:43 PM
    as of now, everything is hosed: 3rd party apps, ringers and especially unlocking.

No joke with the unlocking bit. Following the Gizmodo post and it seems you can't even use your original AT&T SIM to reactivate.

So until people unlock 1.1.1, those phones are offline. Not even a new SIM from AT&T works.
    09-27-2007 06:43 PM
    why somethings are sometimes better left untouched.

too bad for those.
    09-27-2007 06:55 PM
    Apple knows best, right?

Can't wait until the Euro release...this won't play there.
    09-27-2007 10:24 PM
    Heh, they do?

Re the Euro release, that's very true. The Euro release might bring other opportunities as well; I'm halfway curious to see if a T-Mobile US sim card could be activated once T-Mobile Germany goes live on the iPhone.
    09-28-2007 12:02 PM
    I know this was mentioned on the front page but was anyone else disappointed in the choices for the SMS message alert? Why don't they let you use some of the tones that they have for ring tones?
    09-28-2007 03:44 PM
    I know this was mentioned on the front page but was anyone else disappointed in the choices for the SMS message alert? Why don't they let you use some of the tones that they have for ring tones?
    Very disappointed. Got my hopes up for nada
    09-29-2007 05:14 PM
    You don't need to be able to select your alert tone for SMS. Apple knows best.

Shut up and take it.

What do you think this is, a RAZR?

;-)
    09-29-2007 08:55 PM
    hahaha, true. They probably just want to charge you 2 bucks to make your own
    09-29-2007 11:22 PM
    And they should
    09-30-2007 02:35 AM
    You don't need to be able to select your alert tone for SMS. Apple knows best.

Shut up and take it.

What do you think this is, a RAZR?

;-)
    for a person who doesn't even own an iPhone you sure do like hanging out in the iPhone forum.
    09-30-2007 11:13 AM
    oalvarez,

For a person who does own an iPhone, I'm sorry you have to be an iPologist for Apple.
    09-30-2007 11:41 AM
    again with the apologist.....stretching are we? sorry, it doesn't work anymore. i'm quite content with my iPhone. cya!
    09-30-2007 01:24 PM
    Smell ya later!
    09-30-2007 05:10 PM
    again with the apologist.....stretching are we? sorry, it doesn't work anymore. i'm quite content with my iPhone. cya!
    Seems like your only iPhone-toting credential is blind support of the phone...you sure don't need to own one to do that!

Oh look - it appears some of the iPhone owners are less apologistic than you Oalvarez - they put together reminding Apple what it means to "Think Different." It's hilarious, but do you think they have a point?
    09-30-2007 10:09 PM
    not anymore than a past owner of any Treo.
    09-30-2007 11:04 PM
    People have apparently uncovered a way to unbrick an unlocked iPhone that was upgraded to 1.1.1 by downgrading it back to 1.0.2.
    Link
    If I read correctly it will put your phone back to 1.0.2 but wont unlock it again, so you'll have to unlock it. It looks a little complicated but it's better then Apple's solution which was "Buy a new iPhone."
    10-01-2007 02:19 AM
    Hello all,

So, I'm new to this site; have had an iphone for a few weeks now. Heavy Apple enthusiast. In the spirit of those hard working programmers that brought iphone users great apps such iToner, iphoneringtonemaker and so on I thought it'd be both helpful and prudent to share something. Firmware update 1.1.1 doesn't kill your ringtones! Follow these steps and enjoy!

1. Save your desired ringtone file somewhere you'll easily locate it again.

2. Rename your ringtone with extension .m4r (i like to use ringtonator to ensure the file is a .m4r file) and double click the ringtone to have it open in iTunes and listed iin the ringtones section.

3. Sync your iPhone. The ringtone is now listed on your phone but will not play, but stay with me here.

4. Return to the original ringtone, the one in the area you chose to easily locate your tone. Change the extension back to .m4a. Once the extension has been changed drag the ringtone into MakeiPhoneRingtone and it will be added into the ringtone section.

5. Notice that in your itunes ringtone section you have two of the same ringtones. Do not delete either.

6. Sync your iPhone, making sure in the iphone tab for ringtones you have all selected or both copies of the desired ringtone.

7. Enjoy!

So there it is everyone! Have fun!

cheers,
    Mario
    10-07-2007 04:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD