iPhone Update 1.1.1 Released

Nick Carraway

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Thoughts thus far? I'm waiting till I get home to update my phone. I'm excited that the call volume is supposedly louder and being able to change the SMS message tone.

Nick Carraway

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Here are the reported changes:

- iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store
- Louder speaker phone and receiver volume
- Home Button double-click shortcut to phone favorites or music controls
- Space bar double-tap shortcut to intelligently insert period and space
- Mail attachments are viewable in portrait and landscape
- Stocks and cities in Stocks and Weather can be re-ordered
- Apple Bluetooth Headset battery status in the Status Bar
- Support for TV Out
- Preference to turn off EDGE/GPRS when roaming internationally
- New Passcode lock time intervals
- Adjustable alert volume

Also someone over at Everything iPhone with an unlocked phone reported that the update made their phone unusable. Link

So I guess if you have an unlocked phone and don't want an expensive paper weight, you might want to wait.

Nick Carraway

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
What about third party apps? Are they working? Broken?

I've heard some mixed things about that. I don't have any on my phone but I've heard that some are broken but other people have said things like ring tones were still there. I think a lot of them are going to break, because it's a pretty big update (a little over 150 mb).

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
What about third party apps? Are they working? Broken?
as of now, everything is hosed: 3rd party apps, ringers and especially unlocking.

No joke with the unlocking bit. Following the Gizmodo post and it seems you can't even use your original AT&T SIM to reactivate.

So until people unlock 1.1.1, those phones are offline. Not even a new SIM from AT&T works.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
Heh, they do?

Re the Euro release, that's very true. The Euro release might bring other opportunities as well; I'm halfway curious to see if a T-Mobile US sim card could be activated once T-Mobile Germany goes live on the iPhone.

Nick Carraway

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
I know this was mentioned on the front page but was anyone else disappointed in the choices for the SMS message alert? Why don't they let you use some of the tones that they have for ring tones?

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

You don't need to be able to select your alert tone for SMS. Apple knows best.

Shut up and take it.

What do you think this is, a RAZR?

;-)

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
again with the apologist.....stretching are we? sorry, it doesn't work anymore. i'm quite content with my iPhone. cya!
Seems like your only iPhone-toting credential is blind support of the phone...you sure don't need to own one to do that!

Oh look - it appears some of the iPhone owners are less apologistic than you Oalvarez - they put together this Youtube video reminding Apple what it means to "Think Different." It's hilarious, but do you think they have a point?