8 Secrets that Make Apple No. 1

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

They missed a few things:

Apple embraced Windows as a platform (for iTunes and iPods. That decision was key. There was a lot of talk internally to keep the iPod "Mac only" in order to drive Mac sales. Wisely, that idea only last a short time.

- Cost is no object. If you are part of the design team or elite engineers, you get anything you want. This is a good way to retain talent.

what is intersting...Apple is not "cool". Apple is "cool" to a kid's parents, but not the kids or teens. They don't aspire to work at Apple (Like many of their parents). Cool is generational...one man's "cool" is another kid's "lame".

But they keep getting the hits...and as long as they do, they win. As long as they have the content and devices locked in, they are set.

Theta

Aug 14, 2004
www.forensicsguy.com
What makes Apple Number 8+ in desktop computer sales?

That's easy. When governments, large and small companies, and people who don't know about Mac desktop computers look at the difference in the price tag (regardless of the fact there is little difference in the value), the less expensive desktop will be chosen.

It's why the Camry is the #1 selling sedan in the US, but the Lexus is a better vehicle. Price tag counts for a lot.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
That's easy. When governments, large and small companies, and people who don't know about Mac desktop computers look at the difference in the price tag (regardless of the fact there is little difference in the value), the less expensive desktop will be chosen.
That's easy? Please quantify the difference in value in terms the average purchaser can understand. Interesting - I think I just figured out why Apple is number 8+ in desktop sales.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
exactly Theta, they lost some of that "mojo" back in the 90's when Windows started rolling really well - AND bigger companies catering to the corporate customers (IBM, HP, Dell, etc) where on the Windows platform. That combination of market muscle and component pricing drops spurred on by Dell, really rolled over Apple. Steve came back and now we have the Prada of the electronics world.

Have to say, I have not had a Mac in the house in about 6-7 years. They are pretty impressive in both design and functionality now - but they still cost more!

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
That's easy? Please quantify the difference in value in terms the average purchaser can understand. Interesting - I think I just figured out why Apple is number 8+ in desktop sales.

It is not necessarily a tit-for-tat, IMO. The design of the product, the UI and the integration of multi-media operations in the Mac is a beautiful thing (IMO, Sony is now flat out trying to copy the look of the laptops). Are these features needed to get on the web or to check your email or write a paper? Not necessarily, but I also don't need to buy a BMW or a Lexus when a Ford or a Chevy at 1/3 the cost will do. If you have not seen a Mac lately, go to the local CompUSA and play around with one. Being better than number 8 on sales does not matter to them any longer - look at their profitability and stock price. Same with BMW, etc. It's not about volume sales and that was exactly what that article was about.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Umm..i have played around with Macs at the local apple store. What's up with those mice? I'd throw that out in the trash first thing.

Games? Windows is much better. Programs? Again windows. So i can run Vista on a Mac? So what? I wouldn't buy a Mac to run vista. If i bought a Mac, i'd want nothing to do with Vista. Can you even right click with Macs? I'll stick with Vista.

However, I'll take an iphone or ipod. Great stuff. But I really don't see the appeal of a Mac computer. I'll admit that the simplicity and elegance of the iphone made me look at what they might be doing in the computer department. And Apple knows how to market.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
and thus HP, Dell, Sony and Toshiba will not be going out of business anytime soon. To me, Vista is bloatware (I have a Sony laptop running XP, BTW) and I use only Outlook, IE, Word and Excel 99% of the time. Games? Again, Win is a better choice for the developers b/c the installed base is bigger - but that too is becoming a niche. Kids are moving to Xbox and Playstation and the PC gamers are buying or building custom boxes that cost more than a Mac (and there are companies catering to that niche - sound familiar?).

Again, this is just like the phone discussions on the other boards - WM vs Palm vs iPhone - it's not really about what is better than the other. They all are good and they all are bad - just depends on who is using them and what their expectations are.

whatever7

Oct 24, 2004
Visit site
So the author just pull the "no.1" figure out of where the sun don't shine and use it as the basis of the article.

Give me a break. Maybe in the U.S. you can make a case. iPod isn't that big in the music business outside of united states. Kind of like Nike.

Theta

Aug 14, 2004
www.forensicsguy.com
Umm..i have played around with Macs at the local apple store. What's up with those mice? I'd throw that out in the trash first thing.

And that's the beautiful thing about it, if you don't like the mouse that comes with it - buy something else. But if you are suggesting the mouse design of ANY computer is a show-stopper for you, I think you are a shallow purchaser.

Games? Windows is much better. Programs? Again windows. So i can run Vista on a Mac? So what? I wouldn't buy a Mac to run vista. If i bought a Mac, i'd want nothing to do with Vista. Can you even right click with Macs? I'll stick with Vista.

And console games are better than Windows at gaming. I don't play games on my computer, I use a computer as a tool for work. I use my Xbox and my Wii for playing games - choose the best tool for the job.

As far as other programs, that a bit of personal preference once again. But I have been self-authoring home movies onto DVD since early 2001. Heck I even made some money on the side doing it for other people. There was no PC equivalent software for the price (free), that could do that back then. And the current variations of the commonly used PC programs for the type of work I do as still not as good as the Mac versions - in my opinion.

Running Windows on a Mac - the reason why this is nice is that if there is a specific program you absolutely MUST run in a Windows environment, you can now do on a Mac, while still having access to Mac OS for the majority of the computer use.

As far as right-clicking, yes you can on a Mac - even with the one button Mac mice, but the true beauty of the OS is that you don't have to. Right-clicking to a native Mac user would be as odd to a PC user as having to pick your laptop up and shake it upside down in order to close a window. You could do it - by why would you build your user interface around it?

However, I'll take an iphone or ipod. Great stuff. But I really don't see the appeal of a Mac computer. I'll admit that the simplicity and elegance of the iphone made me look at what they might be doing in the computer department. And Apple knows how to market.

Here we are of a different opinion as well. I wont switch to an iPhone until it has some additional functionality, and will run on a CDMA network. I have an iPod and use it infrequently because when I'm heading out the door and can only bring one device along with me for entertainment, my PSP plays music, videos, games, and can browse the internet in a WiFi location.

It's the simplicity and elegance of the Mac desktop which keeps me purchasing them for personal use. I was a government employee for many years, and as such was forced to use Windows based computers at work. And like the poster above said, the Chevy for 1/3 (its not really 1/3 the price when you compare actual specifications) the price got me where I needed to go at work, but when I'm at home, I want a smoother, nicer ride. So I'll pay for a new Mac every couple of years. I would HOPE my government would not spend that kind of money every few years when it comes to computer replacement time.

But if price was the only factor to consider, Apple wouldn't ahve sold over a million iPhones, and who knows how many iPods to date. Because the "free" phone with a 2 year contract is always cheaper that whatever cost they are charging now for an iPhone, and a free AM/FM radio with your paid subscription to Sports Illustrated can let you listen to music for a lot less than the cheapest iPod.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I recognize that. Games i like are mostly on the PC. Xbox is mostly (for me) sports or shootem up games. I'd go as far to say that the Mac could probably run the games that I LIKE easily.

Yep, i'd have a hard time with the learning curve. Been using PC's since the early 90s. (and yes again, i wouldn't judge a computer by the mouse it came with..several vendors include crappy ones).

I have tons of windows software. Some of it is windows only..the accounting apps i use for example. Some people use computers to do internet, office, & browsing only. I use a computer for a bit more..recording in HD, editing & creating videos, editing pics, managing all my finances, etc. And i know the Mac supposedly excels at this other stuff.

Somewhere along the line, i need to get a cheap mac..see if it's worth owning for this other stuff i do. I'm not a huge fan of either in that i hate the other..i actually like what each would have to offer.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner