Wow, the iPhone just drop $200 in price..

WreckRman2

Jun 22, 2007
www.athomemr.com
Umm, you better read up some more... they cut the price on the 8gig model and plan to phase out the 4 gig model. The 4 gig model does not offer a price drop.

The 8-gigabyte iPhone will be $399 - $200 cheaper than the same model when it went on sale in June. The 4-gigabyte iPhone, which sold for $399, will be phased out.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
However, 4GB doesn't appear on Apple's site. I guess you have to run down to the store?

Found it under the Clearance section.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
not true, the 4g is $299.

Maybe you should read up some more? :D

Actually Mal, maybe YOU should read more. The 4GB model is $299 while supplies last. It is being phased out.

Don't really know what to make of todays announcements. Not the best way to build product loyalty by slashing prices so quickly. It leaves many people feeling angry that they payed an extra $200.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Lame

Actually Mal, maybe YOU should read more. The 4GB model is $299 while supplies last. It is being phased out.
Quit trying to flame for chrissakes :rolleyes: / :thumbsdn:

Read the thread title and 1st post:
Wow, the iPhone just drop $200 in price..
Almost make me want to get a 4GB model just to hack it.
This was then followed by:

...The 4 gig model does not offer a price drop.

To which I posted that, contra to that statement, the 4gb iPhone did get a price drop, to $299.

No where did I challenge that it was being phased out, which was not relevant to the main point: the 4gb got a price drop and whatever7 is possibly interested in buying one b/c of it.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site

Don't really know what to make of todays announcements. Not the best way to build product loyalty by slashing prices so quickly. It leaves many people feeling angry that they payed an extra $200.

Yep, what Mal said right above me on the 4gb price......

As for the price drop - remember, Apple was first and foremost a computer company. Does seem a little quick though, but they might want to rid themselves of inventory before the holidays when the next rumored version is supposed to be out.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Quit trying to flame for chrissakes :rolleyes: / :thumbsdn:

Not trying to flame. My apologies.

I am kind of underwhelmed with today's announcements. I'm not really sure I see a huge market for the Ipod touch. Jobs called it "one of the seven wonders of the world". I just don't see it.

It would have been really neat though if I could tether a touch to a blackberry with bluetooth. I find I very rarely use my iPhone to actually listen to music, but I love the web browser.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site

I still love the phone, but am unhappy at Apple itself. A free package of some type should be offered to early buyers since they slashed prices so soon! If they give a free Nano or store credit, I'd take that.

I wonder if there will be lots of angry June-September 4 customers in the stores.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Interesting and relevant article. If Apple fails to meet expectations it could be very damaging to their stratospheric stock price.

Apple's iPhone outsells rivals, but may be falling short of expectations
EVEN SO, IT MAY BE FALLING SHORT OF HIGH EXPECTATIONS
By Troy Wolverton
Mercury News
Article Launched: 09/05/2007 01:38:33 AM PDT

The iPhone is popular - but how popular? And will it live up to all the hype?

Apple's new mobile handset was the top-selling smart-phone in July, its first full month on sale, research firm iSuppli reported Tuesday. The 220,000 iPhones consumers bought that month accounted for 1.8 percent of all cell phones purchased in the United States in July, according to the firm. The iPhone even outsold LG's popular Chocolate handset, which was the top-selling feature phone, a category of handsets such as music phones that typically outsell smart-phones, iSuppli said.

That is a "remarkable accomplishment," iSuppli said.

But not so fast.

Apple sold fewer iPhones in all of July than it did in the first two days that the iPhone was on store shelves. Moreover, the total number of iPhones sold in July was below the pace needed to meet Apple's target of selling 1 million by the end of September, acknowledged Greg Sheppard, iSuppli's chief development officer.

"It's a pretty darn successful product, but (its sales are) probably lower than what everyone else is expecting it to be," Sheppard said.

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris declined to comment on the iSuppli report.

Should the iSuppli data bear out, it would be at least the second indication that iPhone sales, while healthy, are not meeting the hype. The number of iPhones Apple sold in the device's first two days on the market were already below some of the wilder expectations on Wall Street, where forecasts for the first weekend of sales ran as high as 700,000.

Given the error margin in iSuppli's estimate, consumers bought between 200,000 and 240,000 iPhones in July, according to iSuppli's research. At that pace, consumers would buy between 600,000 and 720,000 by the end of Apple's fiscal quarter in September.

Apple predicted it would sell 730,000 iPhones in the quarter. And some analysts, figuring that the company was low-balling its forecast, have set much higher targets for the period. American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu, for instance, predicted Apple would sell 770,000 this quarter.

To be sure, iSuppli's numbers aren't directly comparable with Apple's. Apple's forecast includes both the iPhones it sells directly to consumers and those it ships to partner AT&T. Even if consumers don't buy 730,000 iPhones in the third quarter, Apple could ostensibly hit its mark by shipping more to retailers to meet the expected uptick in demand in the holiday quarter.
http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_6804816

I think the iPod Touch will cannibalize iPhone sales even more.

Surur

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Interesting and relevant article. If Apple fails to meet expectations it could be very damaging to their stratospheric stock price.

Surur

It would for me...I'm not sure I'm into a convergence device with so little storage...I already have a good phone so it makes more sense to ge the rest separatey.

The iPod classic is just what I want in terms of that..but the screen is the same size as my treo 680 so no improvement in watching movies or eBook/comic/magazine reading.... the iPod touch is perfect EXCEPT 8 GB is not much (which is what I'll go for anyway - it will hurt less when hey come out witht he 32 GB version next summer :rolleyes:)... think I may g the touch way and just keep my favourite tunes on it...

Btw the Touch OS takes up 250 MB of the 8/16 GB if you check the specs...I hope they hack a way to remove some of those apps (who nees contacts w/o a phone?!)

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site

Surur
The article goes on to say that sales will boom come the holidays, but given the quite expensive contract commitment I'm not sure how true that will prove to be. It's also the reason that I doubt that the Touch will cannibalise iPhone sales very significantly - the other way round seems more likely to me (they'd have sold more Touches if the iPhone didn't exist).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The article goes on to say that sales will boom come the holidays, but given the quite expensive contract commitment I'm not sure how true that will prove to be. It's also the reason that I doubt that the Touch will cannibalise iPhone sales very significantly - the other way round seems more likely to me (they'd have sold more Touches if the iPhone didn't exist).

I dont understand this part. With the Touch you can get the Apple slickness without the two year commitment, you get larger capacity for the same price, and you dont have to worry about running your phone down while watching video.

I think many many people who were considering an iPhone will go for the Touch instead, and much less the other way.

Surur

Tim413

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Apple made a mistake!!!!!!!

They should have keep the iphone price the same and communicated their commitment to make it a even better smartphone in the future. Then, those who bought it would be happy they where part of a product of the future.

Tim

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro