Interesting and relevant article. If Apple fails to meet expectations it could be very damaging to their stratospheric stock price.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_6804816

I think the iPod Touch will cannibalize iPhone sales even more.

Surur
    It will. And Apple is counting on it. Give it a few years, maybe even next year, a VoIP type solution that works on the Touch and iPhone will be great. And considering the funds gotten from the iPhone thus far (2years at least guaranteed from several carriers), this could work out towards redefining computing, again.
    09-06-2007 11:40 AM
    Ignoring fanatical contract breakers, only a certain percentage of people are coming out of contract every month, whereas the whole population can buy a iPod Touch any time they wanted to. And when they have an iPod Touch they are unlikely to buy an iPhone also.
    That's certainly true. My argument isn't that there will be no cannibalisation but that it will be limited. Also consider that the Touch is a sort of advert for the iPhone. If people buy and like the Touch, some at least will be more inclined to buy an iPhone in the longer term - when their Touch dies or the specs of the current iPhone outweigh what they own. Again, not all, but some.

Anyway, lets face it, the iPhone sucks as it phone.
    In your opinion. Surveys of people who've actually used it say different.
    09-06-2007 11:41 AM
    It will. And Apple is counting on it. Give it a few years, maybe even next year, a VoIP type solution that works on the Touch and iPhone will be great. And considering the funds gotten from the iPhone thus far (2years at least guaranteed from several carriers), this could work out towards redefining computing, again.
    Hopefully this VOIP solution will be preceded by things like cut-and-paste and A2DP....

Surur
    09-06-2007 11:53 AM
    Is ANY discussion of the iPhone allowed on TreoCentral?

Surur
    09-06-2007 01:22 PM
    Is ANY discussion of the iPhone allowed on TreoCentral?
    Apparently there are Other Handhelds and there are "Other Handhelds." Two clearly different categories.
    09-06-2007 01:39 PM
    iPhone discussion belongs in the Apple forum. You can get there one of two ways:

http://forum.phonedifferent.com, if you want to see only the Apple forums, or
    http://forum.smartphoneexperts.com, which is our unified forums (Treo forums + Windows Mobile forums + Apple iPhone forums). Login credentials between phonedifferent and smartphone experts and treocentral are all the same.
    09-06-2007 04:50 PM
    I believe the freebie is called OTA upgrades to existing shortfalls.
    Store credit it appears. I need some stuff from Apple anyway, I'll take that if it pans out. Although I may not be eligible since someone else bought my phone directly from Apple, but if I can get my friend to go down there with me...
    09-06-2007 06:25 PM
    I assume you mean buying the GSM version retail? The Touch is coming to Sprint and it will require the same type of iPhone contract commitment.
    So now everyone's going to start copying ATT/Apple??? Bad for consumers. :shake:
    09-06-2007 06:28 PM
    Apple made a mistake!!!!!!!

They should have keep the iphone price the same and communicated their commitment to make it a even better smartphone in the future. Then, those who bought it would be happy they where part of a product of the future.

Tim
    Actually the real mistake was not using a similar pricing scheme to begin with! They would have sold more at $300-$400!! Then they may not have had to dump the 4GB so soon. At $300, more would have jumped faster.
    09-06-2007 06:37 PM
    But hey , you get $100 credit to take the sting away...

I prefer cash...
    09-06-2007 07:04 PM
    I agree that for those who barely use Apple for anything, cash is king.

Apple of course schemed to keep their money they already collected. I wonder if anyone will force them to issue cash refunds.
    09-06-2007 07:11 PM
    The article I read stated the above.. hehe either way I'll never buy one because it's on ATT.
    ATT customer service >>>>>>>>>>> daylight >>>>>>>>> Sprint
    09-06-2007 11:14 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD