treo switchers

Supes2000

Mar 17, 2006
Visit site
I have been through the 650 and the 680. Both developed stability issues and had trouble with bluetooth devices. The IPhone just plain works. It does not freeze up or reset at an inopportune moment. Bluetooth works great, loud and instantaneous. I justified the cost to myself by counting how many potential clients I lost in one week because of my Treo resetting during an incoming call. Web works faster, eventhough i'm supposedly on the same EDGE network. I was most worried about the calendar program. I've found that I love the one on the Iphone because it doesn't waste space, and shows more appointments for the week. I wish it showed a "to do" list, but I've found that I don't miss it that much, since I carry a Franklin organizer as a backup (I'm required to have a calendar backup system by my malpracitce insurance carrier). The way the screen scrolls with your finger is just amazing. When you slide your finger across the screen, it rolls kind of like a slot machine. I am amazed they can do that electronically. I do not miss the keys on a Treo at all. I would not get the 4 gig version, I put 4 gig on my 8 gig one without trying very hard.

I agree 100% regarding the speed issue. Coming off of Sprints Vision service, I have EDGE to be much faster, and the signal strength to be far superior.

SAKozicki as for the To Do ,list, try toodledo.com. This is a secure web site that is slimmed down for the iPhone and is abn online tasklist that will do all that the Treo does and more, and another option is rememberthemilk.com.

Supes2000

Mar 17, 2006
Visit site
Toodledo list and others

supes2000,

Thanks for the heads up about www.toodledo.com "slim" version. I did not realize it would SMS to my iPhone if I attached a Due Date to the item. I must have missed that the first time I took it for a spin.

Thanks,
Dave

Your welcome, this is by far the best list site I have found. Tada list is also good, but for my needs toodledo is the best. Tadalist.com is good for shopping lists etc.

neuronbob

Dec 3, 2004
Visit site
Potential Treo switcher here

My 15-month old 700p's keyboard just died. I had no major issues with it other than Palm's poor support of those who actually had problems. I paid $50 to get a replacement and should be receiving it shortly.

If I get a 700p with the MR and it has network problems, I plan to become a two-device person again. I plan to purchase an iPhone, switch to AT&T, and charge up my old Tungsten C to use for my Palm database software. The T|C still works after three years using Treos!

I hate to abandon Palm, but the iPhone is simply a more elegant solution.

Playberry1010

Jun 10, 2004
Visit site
My Treo history is common with a lot of others 600, 650, 680. They've been pretty stable with the usual 3rd party software conflicts on occasion. It was never ongoing, but on a few occasions having to deal with freezes on the 680 was a major annoyance since the reset is battery removal.The 680 was also the first one that I had to get replaced because the battery life was so beyond the pale. The replacement unit was better, but not outrageously so. I have no battery life complaints with the iPhone. I like the touchscreen so much better. I wouldn't mind a to-do list added to the calendar. But the web browsing is just so much better. The interface is so easy. At least for me, I find it much less cumbersome to access things-it's smooth.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

I wonder how many comes from Palm Treos vs. WM Treos.

I agree with the Palm OS issues...it's a ten year old OS that is not up the task.

Yes, the web browsing is slick; I would almost get one for use around the house.

As Apple opens up the iPhone more, I'm sure there will be more switchers.

Unfortunately, too many functional requirement keep me on the Treo (WM).

It will be interesting to see where things are in another year.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I hate to say it, but one of my favorite "features" of the iphone was being able to wipe the screen with a piece of cloth and have it look as it was new.

With the Treo's embedded screen, it's a constant dust & smear battle even with screen protectors and of course there's the edges of the screen.

Another favorite was the web browser. You just find yourself actually using it. On the Treo, it just looks like crap now.

I may end up going to it in the winter. My wife had no reception at her work (her present, it went back though)..but it was fine for me. I may end up getting her a Centro on a sero plan and may even get a data card for the lappie so i don't even worry about the lack of tethering with the iphone.

I played with the windows mobile os at the store...and coming from palm i just don't like it.

Bottom line, i'm still waiting to see what Palm may have..but i don't have much faith. The 700p soured me big time on them.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
cardfan - one of my favorite "features" on the Q is the screen for the same reasons. It is flush and glass - easy to clean and I don't need a screen protector.

Nick Carraway

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
I just switched from a Treo 600 a couple days ago. I was originally going to switch to the 680 but with the price drop of the 4 Gig model to 299 (I already have an 80 gig iPod so I don't need as much storage), I decided to get an iPhone. The main thing I have noticed is that the data seems faster. I was already on AT&T before but it seems that even though it is loading full pages it is doing it in half the speed. Although this could be because I was using a fairly old treo. Overall I am very happy with the switch.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I just switched from a Treo 600 a couple days ago. I was originally going to switch to the 680 but with the price drop of the 4 Gig model to 299 (I already have an 80 gig iPod so I don't need as much storage), I decided to get an iPhone. The main thing I have noticed is that the data seems faster. I was already on AT&T before but it seems that even though it is loading full pages it is doing it in half the speed. Although this could be because I was using a fairly old treo. Overall I am very happy with the switch.

1RxTT and EDGE could likely feel similar (and maybe EDGE even faster, given the iPhone's processor.)

BowlerMan

Dec 30, 2006
Visit site
750 User Probably Switching To iPhone

Well I think I got bit this afternoon......after seeing the iphone up close and personal for the very first time! After a co-worker told me how slick it was when he saw it and after the price drop, I decided to go see it and play for awhile...how about playing at AT&T for almost an hour?? I feel so guilty and like a traitor..lol...I really do love my 750 (and did my 600, 650, and 680...) and have had it only since March or April but this iphone just blew me away! Thanks for this thread and your comments..it is helping me decide or confirming that I need to do this! My wife thinks I'm nuts because I just got the 750. As her ipod is fast becoming filled I suggested she consider the iphone....she is not interested in giving it a look see so I figured I would and that was my first mistake! I really wonder if maybe I do get that she might change her mind...just don't know about that but it sure has me hooked, that is for sure. I dismissed it as first saying my treo did everything this one did, but I must say it is the WOW! factor...once one gets this in his or her hand it is very addicting and very difficult to put down. I felt as if I was loitering in the AT&T store this afternoon...but I wasn't just standing around...I was putting the iphone through its paces. I've always been a pc guy (buying a new Vista desktop and notebook this year, but this iphone attraction has me scared that I might be turning into an Apple/Mac person...yikes!!!

I'm a pretty simple user and my needs are pretty basic. The iphone out of the box should be fine. I have a few questions though..........

Can I use the same itunes software program on the pc to sync my iphone and her ipod nano with each of us having different music libraries? Does anybody know and could they help me on this issue? It would be easier if it does allow this as my outlook program with all my contacts and appointments is on the same pc as the one with the itunes software program.......

Secondly, I'm so used to all the great Treo resources out there to find out things and find programs, tips, etc....where are some of the great sources for iphone programs, tips, etc....(besides this site of course!!!!!!!)

Thanks all for your help..it is appreciated!

Mike

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
You can synch different playlists (from the same library) to each device (ipod and iphone). You can have multiple libraries, if you insist, by setting up different user accounts in windows.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Also: you can synch calendar and contacts from a different PC than the one from which you synch music. That's how I do it.

amakh007

Apr 23, 2002
Visit site
Bowler Man,
I am in the same boat as you....love treo, but am wowed by the iphone. I was also wowed by the new imac and made the switch from dell to apple last month....have LOVED the imac! Now watching the iphone and deciding when to jump!

rcgabriel

Jun 16, 2004
Visit site
Secondly, I'm so used to all the great Treo resources out there to find out things and find programs, tips, etc....where are some of the great sources for iphone programs, tips, etc....(besides this site of course!!!!!!!)

Check out the hackint0sh.org forums, it's a great resource with a big community of iphone-modders and tweakers.

The iPhone out-of-the-box is a very frustrating experience for a Treo switcher. Luckily, a bunch of clever, enterprising folks have opened this device up pretty completely now. I have a SIM-unlocked iPhone running on T-Mobile now, with a ton of third party apps on it thanks to Installer.app, which is a brilliantly simple package management/downloader system to get you all sorts of new apps for your iPhone with relatively minimal effort.

I am definitely not looking back at my Treo 650. The only thing I'm missing right now is Chatteremail. But I figured out how to crank the IMAP refresh frequency down below 15 minutes just by editing a plist file - it's not IMAP IDLE or real push email, but it's at least usable for now.

ScandaLeX

Jan 29, 2004
Visit site
Check out the hackint0sh.org forums, it's a great resource with a big community of iphone-modders and tweakers.

The iPhone out-of-the-box is a very frustrating experience for a Treo switcher. Luckily, a bunch of clever, enterprising folks have opened this device up pretty completely now. I have a SIM-unlocked iPhone running on T-Mobile now, with a ton of third party apps on it thanks to Installer.app, which is a brilliantly simple package management/downloader system to get you all sorts of new apps for your iPhone with relatively minimal effort.

I am definitely not looking back at my Treo 650. The only thing I'm missing right now is Chatteremail. But I figured out how to crank the IMAP refresh frequency down below 15 minutes just by editing a plist file - it's not IMAP IDLE or real push email, but it's at least usable for now.

I just registered over there and used you as the referrer; since your post is what led me there. Hope ya dont mind. ;)

emtkopan

Jan 15, 2005
Visit site
I carry both. I need my Treo 755 for Chatteremail and its great Sprint signal with fast EVDO and Slingbox access as well as others. I also need the important medical programs installed on it. The iPhone would be great if I had all the medical programs I need and push email.

JesseNYC

May 4, 2004
Visit site
One thing I really love about the iPhone is my monthly bill from AT&T. My Treo 700W and 750 costs $130 per month and the iPhone costs me $89. The minutes plan are exactly the same. The data plan is where the savings are. AT&T charges me $44 plus tax for unlimited data and 200 SMS for the Treo. Now I pay $20.

ScandaLeX

Jan 29, 2004
Visit site
Does AT&T offer unlimited SMS for the iPhone? Everything I come across says 200 SMS which would be a downer for me being with Sprint and having unlimited SMS.

TIA

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73