I wonder how many comes from Palm Treos vs. WM Treos.

I agree with the Palm OS issues...it's a ten year old OS that is not up the task.

Yes, the web browsing is slick; I would almost get one for use around the house.

As Apple opens up the iPhone more, I'm sure there will be more switchers.

Unfortunately, too many functional requirement keep me on the Treo (WM).

It will be interesting to see where things are in another year.
    09-02-2007 01:01 PM
    I hate to say it, but one of my favorite "features" of the iphone was being able to wipe the screen with a piece of cloth and have it look as it was new.

With the Treo's embedded screen, it's a constant dust & smear battle even with screen protectors and of course there's the edges of the screen.

Another favorite was the web browser. You just find yourself actually using it. On the Treo, it just looks like crap now.

I may end up going to it in the winter. My wife had no reception at her work (her present, it went back though)..but it was fine for me. I may end up getting her a Centro on a sero plan and may even get a data card for the lappie so i don't even worry about the lack of tethering with the iphone.

I played with the windows mobile os at the store...and coming from palm i just don't like it.

Bottom line, i'm still waiting to see what Palm may have..but i don't have much faith. The 700p soured me big time on them.
    09-03-2007 03:27 PM
    cardfan - one of my favorite "features" on the Q is the screen for the same reasons. It is flush and glass - easy to clean and I don't need a screen protector.
    09-05-2007 12:53 PM
    I just switched from a Treo 600 a couple days ago. I was originally going to switch to the 680 but with the price drop of the 4 Gig model to 299 (I already have an 80 gig iPod so I don't need as much storage), I decided to get an iPhone. The main thing I have noticed is that the data seems faster. I was already on AT&T before but it seems that even though it is loading full pages it is doing it in half the speed. Although this could be because I was using a fairly old treo. Overall I am very happy with the switch.
    09-10-2007 03:27 PM
    I just switched from a Treo 600 a couple days ago. I was originally going to switch to the 680 but with the price drop of the 4 Gig model to 299 (I already have an 80 gig iPod so I don't need as much storage), I decided to get an iPhone. The main thing I have noticed is that the data seems faster. I was already on AT&T before but it seems that even though it is loading full pages it is doing it in half the speed. Although this could be because I was using a fairly old treo. Overall I am very happy with the switch.
    1RxTT and EDGE could likely feel similar (and maybe EDGE even faster, given the iPhone's processor.)
    09-10-2007 04:14 PM
    Well I think I got bit this afternoon......after seeing the iphone up close and personal for the very first time! After a co-worker told me how slick it was when he saw it and after the price drop, I decided to go see it and play for awhile...how about playing at AT&T for almost an hour?? I feel so guilty and like a traitor..lol...I really do love my 750 (and did my 600, 650, and 680...) and have had it only since March or April but this iphone just blew me away! Thanks for this thread and your comments..it is helping me decide or confirming that I need to do this! My wife thinks I'm nuts because I just got the 750. As her ipod is fast becoming filled I suggested she consider the iphone....she is not interested in giving it a look see so I figured I would and that was my first mistake! I really wonder if maybe I do get that she might change her mind...just don't know about that but it sure has me hooked, that is for sure. I dismissed it as first saying my treo did everything this one did, but I must say it is the WOW! factor...once one gets this in his or her hand it is very addicting and very difficult to put down. I felt as if I was loitering in the AT&T store this afternoon...but I wasn't just standing around...I was putting the iphone through its paces. I've always been a pc guy (buying a new Vista desktop and notebook this year, but this iphone attraction has me scared that I might be turning into an Apple/Mac person...yikes!!!

I'm a pretty simple user and my needs are pretty basic. The iphone out of the box should be fine. I have a few questions though..........

Can I use the same itunes software program on the pc to sync my iphone and her ipod nano with each of us having different music libraries? Does anybody know and could they help me on this issue? It would be easier if it does allow this as my outlook program with all my contacts and appointments is on the same pc as the one with the itunes software program.......

Secondly, I'm so used to all the great Treo resources out there to find out things and find programs, tips, etc....where are some of the great sources for iphone programs, tips, etc....(besides this site of course!!!!!!!)

Thanks all for your help..it is appreciated!

Mike
    09-10-2007 10:39 PM
    You can synch different playlists (from the same library) to each device (ipod and iphone). You can have multiple libraries, if you insist, by setting up different user accounts in windows.
    09-10-2007 11:24 PM
    Also: you can synch calendar and contacts from a different PC than the one from which you synch music. That's how I do it.
    09-10-2007 11:35 PM
    Bowler Man,
    I am in the same boat as you....love treo, but am wowed by the iphone. I was also wowed by the new imac and made the switch from dell to apple last month....have LOVED the imac! Now watching the iphone and deciding when to jump!
    09-11-2007 04:31 PM
    Secondly, I'm so used to all the great Treo resources out there to find out things and find programs, tips, etc....where are some of the great sources for iphone programs, tips, etc....(besides this site of course!!!!!!!)
    Check out the hackint0sh.org forums, it's a great resource with a big community of iphone-modders and tweakers.

The iPhone out-of-the-box is a very frustrating experience for a Treo switcher. Luckily, a bunch of clever, enterprising folks have opened this device up pretty completely now. I have a SIM-unlocked iPhone running on T-Mobile now, with a ton of third party apps on it thanks to Installer.app, which is a brilliantly simple package management/downloader system to get you all sorts of new apps for your iPhone with relatively minimal effort.

I am definitely not looking back at my Treo 650. The only thing I'm missing right now is Chatteremail. But I figured out how to crank the IMAP refresh frequency down below 15 minutes just by editing a plist file - it's not IMAP IDLE or real push email, but it's at least usable for now.
    09-12-2007 03:19 PM
    Check out the hackint0sh.org forums, it's a great resource with a big community of iphone-modders and tweakers.

The iPhone out-of-the-box is a very frustrating experience for a Treo switcher. Luckily, a bunch of clever, enterprising folks have opened this device up pretty completely now. I have a SIM-unlocked iPhone running on T-Mobile now, with a ton of third party apps on it thanks to Installer.app, which is a brilliantly simple package management/downloader system to get you all sorts of new apps for your iPhone with relatively minimal effort.

I am definitely not looking back at my Treo 650. The only thing I'm missing right now is Chatteremail. But I figured out how to crank the IMAP refresh frequency down below 15 minutes just by editing a plist file - it's not IMAP IDLE or real push email, but it's at least usable for now.
    I just registered over there and used you as the referrer; since your post is what led me there. Hope ya dont mind.
    09-16-2007 03:49 PM
    I carry both. I need my Treo 755 for Chatteremail and its great Sprint signal with fast EVDO and Slingbox access as well as others. I also need the important medical programs installed on it. The iPhone would be great if I had all the medical programs I need and push email.
    09-16-2007 11:48 PM
    One thing I really love about the iPhone is my monthly bill from AT&T. My Treo 700W and 750 costs $130 per month and the iPhone costs me $89. The minutes plan are exactly the same. The data plan is where the savings are. AT&T charges me $44 plus tax for unlimited data and 200 SMS for the Treo. Now I pay $20.
    09-21-2007 10:15 AM
    Does AT&T offer unlimited SMS for the iPhone? Everything I come across says 200 SMS which would be a downer for me being with Sprint and having unlimited SMS.

TIA
    09-22-2007 10:45 PM
    Yes. AT&T offers an unlimited SMS package. It adds $20 to your phone plan.
    09-22-2007 11:36 PM
    Yes. AT&T offers an unlimited SMS package. It adds $20 to your phone plan.
    Thanks Pro!

One more question....Its really hard to get a clear answer on this. Is AT&T (EDGE) network slower than Sprint (EvDO)?
    09-23-2007 01:08 AM
    One more question....Its really hard to get a clear answer on this. Is AT&T (EDGE) network slower than Sprint (EvDO)?
    By the definition of the platforms, yes... EvDO is much faster than EDGE by about 10-times.

But we have to look at it in perspective. I came from a Treo 700p which uses EvDO and I can tell you that because the iPhone has a wicked fast processor; EDGE + iPhone seem to show a full-page website (minus Flash) in about the same time as compared to my old phone.
    09-23-2007 09:25 AM
    That is very good info to know. I am a 700p owner wating to make the switch....I forgot about iphone's faster processor...
    09-24-2007 11:50 AM
    I don't know anything about processors, but by the time I got to any webpage on my Treo680...I'm already opening third one on iPhone
    09-25-2007 11:45 PM
    I don't know anything about processors, but by the time I got to any webpage on my Treo680...I'm already opening third one on iPhone
    One of my co-workers (iPhone) and myself (Mogul) yesterday did a side by side comparison test. While his first webpage opened almost instantly, mine was still dialing 777!

Needless to say, I wasnt happy.
    09-26-2007 06:21 AM
    thinking of making the switch this week. any of you with experience grandfathing your plans over to the iphone, from a cingular treo to an att iphone?
    09-26-2007 01:23 PM
    thinking of making the switch this week. any of you with experience grandfathing your plans over to the iphone, from a cingular treo to an att iphone?
    Since I have been thinking for a while about switching, I've been doing a great deal of reading about the iPhone. One of the things I've come across is that if you have an iPhone, then you have to get one of the "iPhone" plans. I dont know how true that is.

I've been with Sprint for 9 years, so I am only basing my knowledge from what I've read.
    09-26-2007 11:06 PM
    I was on AT&T before I switched and all they did when I activated my phone was drop my current data plan (I was using a Treo 600) and add the $20 iPhone data plan. I kept the same calling plan as before. Also if you get some sort of discount on your bill (I was getting 21% off because of where I work) they take that off as well when you switch to the iPhone. All in all I think it saves me about 15 dollars a month.
    09-27-2007 01:18 AM
    I just switched yesterday from a Sprint Treo 700p to the Iphone. I ported my number from Sprint to ATT in about 20 minutes... went flawlessly. I kind of had second thoughts about ditching the Treo/Sprint, but I am liking the Iphone more and more. The screen on the Iphone is superb and makes the Treo's look very weak. My eyes are bad and the Iphone is much easier to see. Application switching on the Iphone is speedy. I do miss several Treo applications that I used, but hopefully Apple will include them at a later date or I can look for widgets to use. Today, I did use Pocket DVD Wizard to copy a movie (Mars Attacks!) to the Iphone. Looks and sounds great! Much nicer than on the Treo. The Iphone switches easily from the Edge network to available WiFi. Edge is slower than Sprint's Power Vision, but the Safari browser is nice and web pages look like real web pages... not cut down versions displayed on Blazer. So far, the Iphone is a keeper and I may have to end up selling my Treo on E bay. Barry
    09-28-2007 05:24 PM
    Scandalex, EDGE is also more ubiquitous than EV-DO -- while EV-DO is ridiculously faster, EV-DO is not available in as many places.
    10-01-2007 12:19 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD