iphone voice recorder

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
new macs will probably be announced today at the apple press event (10am PST?). if you're looking for a cheap one, I've read rumors that they might discontinue the mac mini, so you may have to settle for a used/refurbished mini.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I'm goin' macbook pro, baby! 17" WUXGA, of course.

My only gripe is that their harddrive selection is pretty crummy.

Now I just need to decide whether or not to wait for leopard - in the mean time I can learn objective-c. (I'm an expert at c++, c, and most forms of assembler, but objective-c gives me the creeps!) I need to find an "objective-c for c++ programmers" book or something.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
agreed on the hard drives. I've modded my g4 12" powerbook to take a much larger drive. ditto with the wife's mac mini. and ditto with my dad's powermac tower. seagate all the way, baby. I probably won't get to go intel until next year, so I've got to squeeze as much as I can out of my current gear.

apple usually does vouchers for software for people that bought hardware with older software very recently, but I don't recall their time limit for free upgrades to the new operating system. 14 days? 30 days? at any rate, rest assured that it will be $129.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I've replaced my windows laptop harddrive, but never owned a mac laptop - is the deal i can just swap the harddrive, throw an OS install cd-rom in, and let it do its thing? Or do i need to clone the existing drive to an external drive and then somehow copy it back?

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
it's pretty simple, just boot to dvd by holding down the 'c' key (or hold option to get the boot menu). osx will boot to pretty much any standard drive. it's a lot like installing windows except without all the driver hassle.

if you're installing a bigger hard drive on a new machine, it may be worth it to copy the hard drive over to an external drive, in case they bundle extra apps that aren't included on the install dvd. you can just drag & copy them over.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Does drag and drop work for the whole drive, or can I just play the old "tar" (or, I guess, "dd") game from the commandline?

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
I've replaced my windows laptop harddrive, is the deal i can just swap the harddrive, throw an OS install cd-rom in, and let it do its thing?
yup.

it's pretty simple, just boot to dvd by holding down the 'c' key (or hold option to get the boot menu). osx will boot to pretty much any standard drive. it's a lot like installing windows except without all the driver hassle.
Excellent info, but it may not be necessary as the machine will progress to the next drive when it doesnt find an OS on the new internal HD.

if you're installing a bigger hard drive on a new machine, it may be worth it to copy the hard drive over to an external drive, in case they bundle extra apps that aren't included on the install dvd. you can just drag & copy them over.
AFAIK Apple always includes optical media to reinstall everything that comes installed when the machine is delivered.

Thanks for the info. Does drag and drop work for the whole drive, or can I just play the old "tar" (or, I guess, "dd") game from the commandline?
dd should do the trick.