Albert Einstein weighs in on the iPhone

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Norton crashed my Mac. I removed it immediately. Probably because it was a memory hog though, which is also why I dumped the Windows version too.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
All I Know, is that I have been using Vista for about a month now on a brand new lenovo T60 laptop. It is awful. Every day I want to pull my hair out. It is painfully slow, takes forever to reboot, and doesn't work nearly as good as Windows XP. Open letter to Microsoft.....

Your new operating system should be better than your old one.

How much RAM do you have? You need 2GB minimum and 4GB is preferred, I understand. I hate that it requires so much memory to run smoothly. It is probably way more bloated than XP, due to all that multi-media stuff included.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
How much RAM do you have? You need 2GB minimum and 4GB is preferred, I understand. I hate that it requires so much memory to run smoothly. It is probably way more bloated than XP, due to all that multi-media stuff included.
I have 4 GB with my Vista machine ($84 more than just 2 GB) and I highly recommend that amount. Vista, in general, runs twice the processes as a similarly configured XP machine and reserves about 4 times the memory to do that. You'll easily eat up 1 GB of RAM just booting to your desktop.

However, FWIW, Vista hasn't crashed as much as my MacBook - I've had 1 Vista crash (lock up) since March and about 15 MacBook lockups since May. Although this may sound weird, I still feel the Mac OS is more stable - the crashes come from messing around with the configuration a lot and porting software to the Mac that was intended for Linux. I'm more "gentle" with Vista just because I've learned my lesson with Windows' durability over the years.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Maybe I'll just stick with XP. I would love to try Vista but the RAM requirement is steep. I use laptops, and they generally ship with a lot less RAM than desktops. In fact, I think only the newer ones allow you to upgrade to 4GB RAM.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Maybe I'll just stick with XP. I would love to try Vista but the RAM requirement is steep. I use laptops, and they generally ship with a lot less RAM than desktops. In fact, I think only the newer ones allow you to upgrade to 4GB RAM.
I strongly recommend XP to laptop users. Not only are the memory constraints generally tighter, but Vista has some serious issues with excess power consumption compared to XP installations. I stripped Vista off my Vaio-UX380N and replaced it with an XP OEM I had laying around. Turned that little powder-puff pixie into a completely different beast!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Maybe after Vista Service pack 1 or 2, they can help solve that problem.

But now all the new laptops have Vista. Guess I have to wait to use them until they address the memory issue. :(
Or at the very least, look at an immediate RAM upgrade.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I wish I had gotten a Macbook instead of a Vista laptop. Another 'D'oh!' in my life. Even when I know better I do dumb stuff like that.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I think it's OK to get the MacBook anyway, maybe even a used one so you can save some money. Two laptops are good in case one crashes badly, goes bad with hardware(like the hard drive dying or something), or gets stolen. You won't be left in the cold for your work. JMO though, but I get paranoid after listening to other people, LOL!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Vista (32 bit) with 3GB RAM works very well...faster than XP and more stable.

Definitely manages memory better.

3GB? I'll try it on the new one. I never use 64-bit anyway.

Most semi-old laptops only go up to 2GB I think. I have a good one from 2005, it has the specs for Vista except for the RAM. I think I can put in 2GB tops.Thanks for the suggestion! :thumbsup:

stroths

Apr 16, 2006
Visit site
If your Motherboard had dual channel memory support, make sure you install memory in pairs. My expertise is more in the desktop field, so I'm not sure how many laptops support dual channel memory. For example, to get 2 GB install (2) 1GB sticks. It makes a huge difference. For 3GB, you would install (2) 1GB and (2) 512mb sticks.

I am on Vista 32 bit and run 2GB without an issue. More is generally better, but I wouldn't go less than 2GB.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
3GB? I'll try it on the new one. I never use 64-bit anyway.

Most semi-old laptops only go up to 2GB I think. I have a good one from 2005, it has the specs for Vista except for the RAM. I think I can put in 2GB tops.Thanks for the suggestion! :thumbsup:

Unless you need to run 64-bit server applications, avoid Vista 64-bit at all costs. Just like in XP 64 there's a serious driver deficiency in 64-bit OS's right now, to the extent that you'll be lucky to get sound drivers working, much less all the other peripherals you like to attach to your computer.

FWIW you can usually get an XP 64 driver to run in 64-bit Vista (sometimes needs some tweaking to let you do it though) but you can't run any 32 bit drivers in Vista64.

Personally, I'd just avoid Vista entirely until you actually have a program that won't run in XP that you need Vista for. It's unfortunate that you can't buy a retail PC anymore (except online) with XP. Vista's a beast that has yet to be tamed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73