Albert Einstein weighs in on the iPhone

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Sigh. Again, I dont care what Bill Gates uses. I believe for the longest time he did not even use a WM phone.
I'm sorry you seem to have completely missed the intended humour. Can't be fixed now I guess :(

His opinions can give an idea of the priority and direction of the company
When he mentioned the iPhone, Gates was actually talking about trends in the computing industry. Here's another report of the same gathering:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003807974_msftanalysts27.html

This is the iPhone bit:

The most underappreciated trend, Gates said, is the emergence of more natural user interfaces such as speech recognition, touch and vision.

He complimented two competitors' products ? the Apple iPhone and Nintendo Wii ? for taking advantage of touch and motion-sensing interfaces.
Not sure how much this is an indicator of where Microsoft is going with WM of course. Apart from anything, he is about to step down.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Umm....we are actually talking about PCs here right? Let's see:

Honestly, I think Mac is a lot cleaner than Windows. I wish we could CHOOSE which of the bloatware Windows includes to install, instead of it already being pre-installed

You can. This isn't so much of an issue against Windows as the individual hardware manufacturers that pre-load junk on your computer. If you don't like it, use your Windows installation CDs (of the OS, not the "system restore" CDs) and install from scratch. Voila, clean windows and you can choose exactly what you want on it.
and then you can't seem to get it out of the ROM. It really :censored: me off that about 200MB or so of my hard drive is reserved for stuff I can't use, but I can't remove it from the ROM apparently. The uninstaller seems to be unavailable for certain programs, all MSFT programs, but anything not really from MSFT can be uninstalled even if in the ROM. Hmm...
You do realize we're not talking about phones here? The only ROM on a PC is in the BIOS, which I'm quite certain you're not talking about since you're referring to space on the hard drive. What you're talking about is a special partition on the hard drive that many manufacturers set aside to use as a backup restore. It has basically the same stuff that those restore CDs used to have on them and will put your system back to "factory fresh" like when you bought it. If you don't want it there (and have already used the above method to install windows yourself anyways) download partition magic, delete that little extra partition, and resize your main partition to make use of the extra space.

Again, this doesn't have anything to do with Windows itself, but instead it's a problem with the dirty little tricks the PC builders (HP, Dell, etc) like to do with their computers.

Iceman6

Jun 5, 2003
Visit site
I believe Jobs actually lives by that Barnum misquote "There's a sucker born every minute".

Surur

I gotta disagree with you there, man. It is pretty obvious that the iPhone is a personal device to His Steveness. He built the phone HE wanted.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Umm....we are actually talking about PCs here right? Let's see:

[/COLOR]
You can. This isn't so much of an issue against Windows as the individual hardware manufacturers that pre-load junk on your computer. If you don't like it, use your Windows installation CDs (of the OS, not the "system restore" CDs) and install from scratch. Voila, clean windows and you can choose exactly what you want on it.

You do realize we're not talking about phones here? The only ROM on a PC is in the BIOS, which I'm quite certain you're not talking about since you're referring to space on the hard drive. What you're talking about is a special partition on the hard drive that many manufacturers set aside to use as a backup restore. It has basically the same stuff that those restore CDs used to have on them and will put your system back to "factory fresh" like when you bought it. If you don't want it there (and have already used the above method to install windows yourself anyways) download partition magic, delete that little extra partition, and resize your main partition to make use of the extra space.

Again, this doesn't have anything to do with Windows itself, but instead it's a problem with the dirty little tricks the PC builders (HP, Dell, etc) like to do with their computers.

Yes, I am talking about PCs. It was early, not enough coffee yet, sorry if I messed up the terms, LOL! I can't get Microsoft Works out of the system and I'm not good at tinkering with computers. So Partition Magic could reclaim the space?

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Yes, I am talking about PCs. It was early, not enough coffee yet, sorry if I messed up the terms, LOL! I can't get Microsoft Works out of the system and I'm not good at tinkering with computers. So Partition Magic could reclaim the space?

Haha, ok I apologize for jumping down your throat then. I'm pretty sure Partition Magic has a trial version you can use to get your space back, if not it's worth it to own a copy(although it doesn't seem fair when Linux has several very good open-source partition editors that are just as good if not better...but that's a different argument entirely).

As for getting rid of Works, if it's not under "Change or Remove Programs" in the Add or Remove Programs section, try looking under the "Add/Remove Windows Components" tab. Sometimes microsoft programs get thrown in there.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
It is under "add/remove programs" but the uninstaller is missing or can't be found. Do I need to reinstall it from the recovery disk to get the uninstaller?

Norton left some nice uninstallable things on my computer too. :mad: Is the only way to get rid of these things to reinstall then try uninstalling? Or is there a better way? Norton tends to leave stuff behind even when you uninstall.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
It is under "add/remove programs" but the uninstaller is missing or can't be found. Do I need to reinstall it from the recovery disk to get the uninstaller?

Norton left some nice uninstallable things on my computer too. :mad: Is the only way to get rid of these things to reinstall then try uninstalling? Or is there a better way? Norton tends to leave stuff behind even when you uninstall.

Ugh, Norton is vile and evil. They don't play nice with other software and are just about impossible to remove completely. Interestingly enough, they actually provide tools on their site to help completely remove Norton products (makes you wonder why they don't just include that in the uninstalls) but you have to go look for them. I'll save you the trouble though:

Norton Removal Tool

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
zeze22, I would love to hear in which ways the iPhone is decades ahead WM phones, because of the top of my head I could give you 10 ways in which its way behind.

Surur

I was talking about Mac OSX, and bellieve that the iPhone will be there with a few additions.

I think everyone has priorities when it comes to operating systems, but there are a few characteristics that I think most users regard to be at the top of the list in terms of importance:

-stability
-ease of use
-both of the above as related to 3d party software
-corruptibility

I don't think anyone can dispute that a Mac possesses far superior qualifications in the above attributes.

-They DO NOT crash. Period. Windows machine crash hourly.
-I don't think I need to get into ease of use in regard to Mac versus windows.

-Third party software adaptability- I have never installed or uninstalled ANY program on OSX in longer than five seconds, even Window's massive Microsoft Office software.

I have never found bits and pieces of (what I believed was) uninstalled software on Mac. Installs and deletions are clean and seamless. Installtions into Windows is a lengthy and labyrinthene process.

Whenever you install something in Windows, it feels like you are unleashing reproducing termites into your cellar. You know that how ever much you exterminate, they will always be there.

Corruptibility? This goes hand-in-hand with the Windows labyrinth. How many millions or billions have had their machines grind to a halt with spyware. This doesnt and CANNOT exist in Mac's linear and simple storage system.

Again, say what you will about the iPhone, but the Mac OS-X to Windows argument is, to me, silly,

stroths

Apr 16, 2006
Visit site
Macs don't crash? You gotta be kidding? That statement alone hurts your whole argument as Macs can and do crash just like any operating system out there.

Windows Machines crash hourly? That is yet another misconception. I have a Windows 2003 server that's been running for almost a year without a reboot or crash. I rarely reboot my desktop Vista PC either. Windows can crash just like any other OS, but hourly is not even close to accurate.

Macs can't get spyware? omg...seriously...are you just messing with Surur?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I was talking about Mac OSX, and bellieve that the iPhone will be there with a few additions.

I think everyone has priorities when it comes to operating systems, but there are a few characteristics that I think most users regard to be at the top of the list in terms of importance:

-stability
-ease of use
-both of the above as related to 3d party software
-corruptibility

I don't think anyone can dispute that a Mac possesses far superior qualifications in the above attributes.

-I don't think I need to get into ease of use in regard to Mac versus windows.

-Third party software adaptability- I have never installed or uninstalled ANY program on OSX in longer than five seconds, even Window's massive Microsoft Office software.

I have never found bits and pieces of (what I believed was) uninstalled software on Mac. Installs and deletions are clean and seamless. Installtions into Windows is a lengthy and labyrinthene process.

Whenever you install something in Windows, it feels like you are unleashing reproducing termites into your cellar. You know that how ever much you exterminate, they will always be there.

Corruptibility? This goes hand-in-hand with the Windows labyrinth. How many millions or billions have had their machines grind to a halt with spyware. This doesnt and CANNOT exist in Mac's linear and simple storage system.

Again, say what you will about the iPhone, but the Mac OS-X to Windows argument is, to me, silly,

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Macs don't crash? You gotta be kidding? That statement alone hurts your whole argument as Macs can and do crash just like any operating system out there.

Windows Machines crash hourly? That is yet another misconception. I have a Windows 2003 server that's been running for almost a year without a reboot or crash. I rarely reboot my desktop Vista PC either. Windows can crash just like any other OS, but hourly is not even close to accurate.

All I Know, is that I have been using Vista for about a month now on a brand new lenovo T60 laptop. It is awful. Every day I want to pull my hair out. It is painfully slow, takes forever to reboot, and doesn't work nearly as good as Windows XP. Open letter to Microsoft.....

Your new operating system should be better than your old one.

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site

I've been through five macs from power-pc to intel. I have never experienced a crash on mac. At worst, you get a delay pinwheel and that happens very, very rarely.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site

Ah, yes, the oft-cited "Macs never crash" argument.

It's not just Macs, too. I used to work at a tech bench where we had iPods returned daily that needed to be refurbished.

Windows PCs do not crash hourly. The Blue Screen of Death hasn't been seen since Windows ME (if it comes up in XP it's due to a hardware malfunction or driver problem, and nothing to do with the OS or 3rd party software) and when application do crash they just crash to the desktop just like in a Mac.

So please don't get into another Mac/PC argument. You'll just look more foolish.

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
Ah, yes, the oft-cited "Macs never crash" argument.

It's not just Macs, too. I used to work at a tech bench where we had iPods returned daily that needed to be refurbished.

Windows PCs do not crash hourly. The Blue Screen of Death hasn't been seen since Windows ME (if it comes up in XP it's due to a hardware malfunction or driver problem, and nothing to do with the OS or 3rd party software) and when application do crash they just crash to the desktop just like in a Mac.

So please don't get into another Mac/PC argument. You'll just look more foolish.

OK.