Albert Einstein weighs in on the iPhone

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
To be certain, Albert is saying the addition of fancy interfaces, "real physics" scrolling, a web browser that crashes a lot, and a battery completely impervious to normal handling by competent users could have been better handled with simplicity? He's right! :thumbsup:

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I believe Jobs actually lives by that Barnum misquote "There's a sucker born every minute".

Surur

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
I don't think anyone can say, if being truly objective and honest, that Mac OS-X is snake oil to Window's Rogaine.

Say what you want about the iphone (for me, I love it, even though it's incomplete), but when I switched from Windows to Mac in the early 2000's, I was struck by how no reasonable person could possibly argue that windows was better.

There are very few products you come across that are so clearly superior than Mac to Windows. From ease of use to the absence of crashing, there is no honest argument here, although there's always alot of hot air expelled by Windows-supporters.

It was kind of liking stepping out of a Model T and being transported into the future to a 2007 Ferrari.

The iPhone is very similar in that respect; in many ways it is that much better and advanced- it just needs a few additions and a little tweaking.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I don't think anyone can say, if being truly objective and honest, that Mac OS-X is snake oil to Window's Rogaine.

Say what you want about the iphone (for me, I love it, even though it's incomplete), but when I switched from Windows to Mac in the early 2000's, I was struck by how no reasonable person could possibly argue that windows was better.

There are very few products you come across that are so clearly superior than Mac to Windows. From ease of use to the absence of crashing, there is no honest argument here, although there's always alot of hot air expelled by Windows-supporters.

It was kind of liking stepping out of a Model T and being transported into the future to a 2007 Ferrari.

The iPhone is very similar in that respect; in many ways it is that much better and advanced- it just needs a few additions and a little tweaking.

You actually have me laughing out loud. I have a bridge I can sell you too.

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Except for the fact that I can't use on a Mac a few products I really like and use a lot(phones, MP3 players besides iPod of course), and also a few programs, I'd have been over there permanently years ago myself. Too bad many products refuse to be Mac friendly.

But the iPhone really should have had a few more things upon release, seriously.

stroths

Apr 16, 2006
Visit site

To say one is better in a general sense is pretty biased. It's more like the Mac (or iPhone) is superior for your needs. I have used both operating systems and both products and each have their uses and serve their target audiences. Depending on ones needs should dictate which is "better" for that individual user.

Also keep in mind that the MacOS is more of a GUI for a customized build of BSD. It was a really smart move because the underlying efficiency and power of BSD was much more advanced than what they were using previously. Microsoft has been smart to borrow a lot of features and code from BSD and Linux as well. Not anywhere near what Apple did (unfortunately), but a good idea regardless.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Honestly, I think Mac is a lot cleaner than Windows. I wish we could CHOOSE which of the bloatware Windows includes to install, instead of it already being pre-installed and then you can't seem to get it out of the ROM. It really :censored: me off that about 200MB or so of my hard drive is reserved for stuff I can't use, but I can't remove it from the ROM apparently. The uninstaller seems to be unavailable for certain programs, all MSFT programs, but anything not really from MSFT can be uninstalled even if in the ROM. Hmm...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
zeze22, I would love to hear in which ways the iPhone is decades ahead WM phones, because of the top of my head I could give you 10 ways in which its way behind.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Bill Gates weighs in on the iPhone:

...the center of gravity in the computer industry has dramatically shifted toward software, he said. ?Why do you like your iPod, your iPhone, your Xbox 360, your Google Search?? he said. ?The real magic sauce is not the parts that we buy for the Xbox, or the parts that Apple buys for iPhones, it?s the software that goes into it.?
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/30/technology/30gates.html?pagewanted=2

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
It's 'magic'. Must be true if the Chairman of Microsoft says so :)

Sorry, its just true all by itself. Dont pretend I suddenly changed my position. Is the lack of MMS software software or hardware? It the lack of search software or hardware? No CE button? No ability to change font sizes in Safari etc etc etc.

MobileOSX is just plain immature.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
More on Bill and iPhone:

Lastly, Gates spent some time on natural user interfaces, which he considers “one of the most revolutionary things going on” and Microsoft apparently will be spending more time on. A “Surface” device was briefly demonstrated with future applications – but in terms of a current success in natural user interfaces, Gates had to point to competitor’s products: Nintendo’s Wii game console as well as Apple’s iPhone.
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33096/113/

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Sorry, its just true all by itself. Dont pretend I suddenly changed my position. Is the lack of MMS software software or hardware? It the lack of search software or hardware? No CE button? No ability to change font sizes in Safari etc etc etc.
I can't help thinking you're taking this discussion far more seriously than I am! I wasn't pretending you'd changed your position at all. I apologise if I gave you that impression, but I can't for the life of me see how I did. Relax. This is just a bit of fun...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I can't help thinking you're taking this discussion far more seriously than I am! I wasn't pretending you'd changed your position at all. I apologise if I gave you that impression, but I can't for the life of me see how I did. Relax. This is just a bit of fun...

It's 'magic'. Must be true if the Chairman of Microsoft says so :)

And you meant what by this line then?

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
And you meant what by this line then?

Surur
I meant Bill Gates said it's 'magic'? From the quote I posted above, i.e.:

Second, the center of gravity in the computer industry has dramatically shifted toward software, he said. ?Why do you like your iPod, your iPhone, your Xbox 360, your Google Search?? he said. ?The real magic sauce is not the parts that we buy for the Xbox, or the parts that Apple buys for iPhones, it?s the software that goes into it.?
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/30/technology/30gates.html?pagewanted=2

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
So I think I figured out what you were saying. Correct me if I am wrong, but in response to me saying the software is inadequate, you are saying the software is not just good, its magic, because Bill Gates says so?

Sorry, I decide for myself whats magic or not, and the iPhone ain't it (unless you mean its full of smoke and mirrors of course).

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
So I think I figured out what you were saying. Correct me if I am wrong, but in response to me saying the software is inadequate, you are saying the software is not just good, its magic, because Bill Gates says so?
Yes, sort of ... except that it was just a bit of a joke (hence the the smiley). It was meant to imply that Gates thought it was magic not me.

Sorry, I decide for myself whats magic or not, and the iPhone ain't it.
Me too. I think it's great in some ways but lacking in others.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2