phonedifferent.com

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
thank you to those who made this possible but it just doesn't seem to receive the same attention as TC's "Other Devices/Other Handhelds" forums. I suppose that comes with it's plusses and minuses and believe me much of that is welcomed. look at the topics, threads, replies and views; there's not much to suggest that this is where one should come for information and discussion.

again, thank you for your efforts and making this website available to us.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
This isnt my first stop, but I also think it's worthwhile. I'll continue to hang around here as well as other places.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
Thx for staying on, AnteL0pe. We have a few changes coming that should charge up the forums. The main one is that we're unifying all of our forums later today, and there should be a lot more activity in here as a result of that.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, that should help. Also, consolidating the iphone forums down to just a couple would be nice - when there's so little traffic, there's no point in differentiation "iphone OS" from "iphone."

Note: if "consolidating" means surur's uninformed reposting of people's complaints from other boards will end up here, that'll be the last time i visit this place. I mean, the guy hasn't even touched an iphone yet.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Thx for staying on, AnteL0pe. We have a few changes coming that should charge up the forums. The main one is that we're unifying all of our forums later today, and there should be a lot more activity in here as a result of that.
I think this site has a lot of potential, it just makes sense with the number of people like myself who were never happy with any of the Treo offerings after the 650 who switched to iPhones. Branching this site off of TC is a logical progression.

As for the "Other Devices" section, that section is so full of argument and disinformation i dont really find it useful. The more sane and grounded discussion here is appreciated far more.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i must agree with CMaier (especially on the Surur comment) and Antelope. what i would like to see though is more discussion here related to "other handhelds/devices" but if it's going to come at a cost (CMaier's point) then it's not worth it. like Antelope, i don't care for anything Treo at the moment and find Palm laughable in their attempts to create something new by offering an "antenna-less and curved sided" form factor. i'm not saying that it doesn't serve people's needs, it's brick-like bulkiness doesn't serve mine.

would love to see both iPhone and more non-iPhone related discussion here at phonedifferent.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Well, I took a look at the "new" forums.

1) disorganized mess. Iphone forums scattered all over the list.
2) logged in, but it won't let me post.

I hope it increases traffic, but I doubt it.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Just because there isn't traffic there yet doesn't mean there wont be. From the standpoint of forum management, it's much easier to have sections that sit idle and eventually start filling up than to be forced to branch a section into two and manually move over all the applicable threads.

The threads might be able to be consolidated a bit, but again, it would suck to remove a section then in 6 mos - 1 yr discover that it would be better to still have it. Then you have to move all those threads over... a real pita.

Clearly not being able to post isnt an issue for you anymore. I never experienced this personally.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Who was the brain that named this place PhoneDifferent?

I am glad you brought this topic up. I don't like the name "phonedifferent." It makes no sense in 2007. It did not immediately hit me that this was spinned off from Apple's "Think Different" media campaign 8 years ago. Who talks about Think Different? Yes, its been 8 years! Those pictures of John Lennon, Muhammad Ali, and the champanze lady, etc. are long gone.

I would suggest a new name and color scheme.

Suggested Blog Names
iPhoneCentral (I think this is taken)
iPhoneDecisions
iPhoneBlogSpot
iPhoneBloggers
iPhoneTalk
iPhoneCommunicators
iPhoneUniverse
iPhonePodPlace
iPhoneTechTalk
iPhoneIntelligence
iPhoneDish
iPhoneDifference

Anything, but "Phone Different!"

thank you to those who made this possible but it just doesn't seem to receive the same attention as TC's "Other Devices/Other Handhelds" forums. I suppose that comes with it's plusses and minuses and believe me much of that is welcomed. look at the topics, threads, replies and views; there's not much to suggest that this is where one should come for information and discussion.

again, thank you for your efforts and making this website available to us.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Yeah, that should help. Also, consolidating the iphone forums down to just a couple would be nice - when there's so little traffic, there's no point in differentiation "iphone OS" from "iphone."

Note: if "consolidating" means surur's uninformed reposting of people's complaints from other boards will end up here, that'll be the last time i visit this place. I mean, the guy hasn't even touched an iphone yet.

You're not exactly a sight for sore eyes in the morning either, buddy.

Surur

mausalot

Nov 2, 1999
homepage.newschool.edu
It takes a while to devlop a community, so we all hope that PhoneDifferent will become an excellent resource for us. TreoCentral certainly took a while to build up its user base as did the other sites you mention.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
It takes a while to devlop a community, so we all hope that PhoneDifferent will become an excellent resource for us. TreoCentral certainly took a while to build up its user base as did the other sites you mention.

That's not quite true. Neither of the sites i mentioned was an "iphone site" prior to a few weeks ago, just as this forum wasn't; but all three sites did have a base to draw from.

I think the main difference is that in the early days of the iphone-related forums you guys permitted a ton of irrelevant, uninformed, and uninformative postings to go on (more accurately, a bunch of name-calling and postings from people with no interest in iphone other than bad-mouthing it). I don't see the kinds of things I now see in "other handhelds" going on in the other sites I mentioned. I think this drove away a lot of traffic.

I know that far more people visit my apps from the other sites than from this site, and I really think the only way this can be salvaged is to ensure that this site be the place for accurate, reliable, impartial, and timely information about iphone and the iphone universe.

Your front page has gotten much better, but the forums are a horrible place to go for good information on iphone.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
The forums are built based on the membership. I think the members here are pretty good, we just need more of them.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Very true. Visor Central was a generally quiet backwater until all these newbie Treo users came along! :cool:

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
Well, I took a look at the "new" forums.

1) disorganized mess. Iphone forums scattered all over the list.
2) logged in, but it won't let me post.

I hope it increases traffic, but I doubt it.

I'll gladly acknowledge #1. If forums.smartphoneexperts.com becomes our primary chat site, there's a bunch of work that we have to do to organize it.

Regarding #2, that's been fixed.

Mausalot is Doug Morse, whom some of you may recall from TC. Doug will be writing for us. Also, I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a slot for one more writer/reviewer. Send me a PM if you're interested.

The idea for the name phone different was from septimus; we liked this one because it evoked apple, gives some leeway for the site to evolve along with a product, it evokes the successful ad campaign, and doesn't use the iPhone trademark. It's altogether possible that Apple will send lawyers after sites that are using the iPhone trademark. We also won't have to do transitions like visorcentral->treocentral->foleocentral and the like.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods