IPhone questions

Motoracer

May 15, 2006
Visit site
I'm not sure if this should be in this section, but I see other iPhone threads, so I figured it was ok.

How is E-mail on the iPhone? I use a POP3 email and have my computer (outlook) and my treo currently recieving my e-mail. Would the iPhone work the same way?

Also, how easy is it to rough up the screen? I work in landscaping...sometimes I am in the office, and sometimes I am in the field. My hands do get dirty at times, and even though I'd be very careful, it seems like it can get scratched pretty easily.

Anything else I should be looking out for with this phone?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
mail: yes, with 15 minute intervals being the shortest automated setting (you can ck for mail yourself as often as you wish).

screen: is it easy to rough up? its glass material should be able to withstand scratches pretty easily. as for the rest of the shell i find the finish to be much more durable than any Treo i ever owned (cheap chrome-type trim, easy to peel paint).

i'd use a standard cell phone when working with dirt and the like and leave the pda (any pda) in the truck or office.

Motoracer

May 15, 2006
Visit site
so it will only be able to check for new e-mails every 15 minutes? Don't our treos check every few minutes if we set it to do so? (sorry, I don't remember the setting on my 700wx).

So it should be pretty durable as far as withstanding scratches and other abuse to the case? Obviously, I would be very careful, but in case I put it in my pocket or something, I don't want to take it out for a call and see a ton of scratches across the whole screen. Are there any sites that sell some sort of protection for the phone?

Does it freeze like the treo? What is the issue with the battery I read about somewhere?

THANKS!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
you can check and download mail each time you open up the mail application. 15 minute intervals are the shortest intervals available if you want your email downloaded automatically.

yes, the case is as durable as any other if not more so. do you know how hard it is to scratch glass? that's one of the benefits of having a glass screen. yes, they sell screen protectors but they're truly not necessary. there are many different protective sleeves to choose from.

does it freeze like the Treo? no, not at all.

battery issues you've read about? yes, there are some, feel free to go and read about them as i don't have any to tell you about.

i'm sure others here will be more than glad to help you with further questions.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Its virtually impossible to scratch the screen. In one test i saw after they beat the thing up in a ziplock with a bunch of keys it had no scratches. So they just took the business end of the key and forcibly ran it over the face in an attempt to scratch, still no marks. They then dropped it from ear height 3-4 times and the only thing that took damage was the thin chrome rim around the screen.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
what antel0pe said. The screen is glass, and won't scratch nearly as readily as the more common plastic screens will. If you're still worried, there are screen protectors available that work.

zeze22

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
I'm not sure if this should be in this section, but I see other iPhone threads, so I figured it was ok.

How is E-mail on the iPhone? I use a POP3 email and have my computer (outlook) and my treo currently recieving my e-mail. Would the iPhone work the same way?

Also, how easy is it to rough up the screen? I work in landscaping...sometimes I am in the office, and sometimes I am in the field. My hands do get dirty at times, and even though I'd be very careful, it seems like it can get scratched pretty easily.

Anything else I should be looking out for with this phone?

I would be wary of most feedback of the IPhone you get here. Alot of commentary but very little real experience with the device has been my observation.

I'd read the IPhone forum on Apple.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
I would be wary of most feedback of the IPhone you get here. Alot of commentary but very little real experience with the device has been my observation.

I'd read the IPhone forum on Apple.
I've had one iPhone since day one and after 5 days my wife decided she wanted one. So we've had two in the house since the first week they were available. I've only used mine with Mac's though, never tried syncing with a Windows box.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
I've had one iPhone since day one and after 5 days my wife decided she wanted one. So we've had two in the house since the first week they were available. I've only used mine with Mac's though, never tried syncing with a Windows box.

Same spouse experience here. After my having an HTC gsm device for a few years and it totally going kaput on me, and her having the cdma version, she was initially peeved that I would spend a couple hundred dollars more for my phone. Then, as it turned out, she later admitted that she was jealous and that I had to buy her one, as well.

:D

I think the comment about taking this particular forum's advice with a grain of salt is a result of the several posters on this site who adamantly - no, vehemently refuse to give the iPhone ANY positive comment. Seems like some of these people must be full time emplyees of someone who wants them to only spread bad press.

iPhone is a great product. The VAST majority of owners think so. It's not perfect, but most iPhone users agree that it currently represents the best set of compromises available in a converged cell based device.

By the way, I have two email accounts on the iPhone. It was the easiest device to set up that I have EVER used - bar none.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
To be fair, there's a number of palm & windows haters as well. Perhaps treo users got fed up hearing how bad the treo was and how the iphone was god's gift to the smartphone world.

It's not. But it did get people talking and hopefully will speed up improvements. No phone is perfect. The iphone probably can't do half of what a Treo can do but what little it does, the iphone does pretty good except for perhaps email.

I think treos are a mixed bag. Some get good ones out of the box. Others get buggy ones. Iphones probably are probably more stable and definitely have the cool factor & a unique touch interface. Treos can simply do much more though and aren't as unstable as you might be led to believe. I've not had a reset in weeks.

Once you get past that pretty interface on the iphone in a week or so, you'll probably start to get bored and wonder where the cool games are, why that treo user can watch tv (slingbox) on his, why he can't tether to the net, why it's such a slow connection (edge), why you made a 2 yr contract on the most crappy network (cingular) etc etc ..and much much more.

But its all in what you want. If the features on the iphone are enough for you , then buy it.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
To be fair, there's a number of palm & windows haters as well. Perhaps treo users got fed up hearing how bad the treo was and how the iphone was god's gift to the smartphone world.

It's not. But it did get people talking and hopefully will speed up improvements. No phone is perfect. The iphone probably can't do half of what a Treo can do but what little it does, the iphone does pretty good except for perhaps email.

I think treos are a mixed bag. Some get good ones out of the box. Others get buggy ones. Iphones probably are probably more stable and definitely have the cool factor & a unique touch interface. Treos can simply do much more though and aren't as unstable as you might be led to believe. I've not had a reset in weeks.

Once you get past that pretty interface on the iphone in a week or so, you'll probably start to get bored and wonder where the cool games are, why that treo user can watch tv (slingbox) on his, why he can't tether to the net, why it's such a slow connection (edge), why you made a 2 yr contract on the most crappy network (cingular) etc etc ..and much much more.

But its all in what you want. If the features on the iphone are enough for you , then buy it.

Wow - a lot of opinions and assumptions stated as fact there!

For example, (myself) I never had any desire to watch video on any of my Treos. I did watch a couple on my 8125, but found the overall experience lacking. Video on the iPhone is both watchable and entertaining.

Yes, we're still lacking resident 3rd party apps, but frankly, there aren't any I miss badly enough to go back to Palm or WM - at this point. It IS an evolving market, though. With all the new consumers the iPhone will bring into the whole "smartphone" market, I'd bet it will be a RAPIDLY evolving market...

Coming from Palm and WM5, I have found the iPhone to represent the best set of compromises yet for a converged device. All the OSs have strengths and weaknesses. For me and my particular needs, I have no regrets switching to iPhone and it's unique OS and interface. I've had mine for over three weeks now...

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Once you get past that pretty interface on the iphone in a week or so, you'll probably start to get bored and wonder where the cool games are

I have about 6 gigs of music, videos, movies, tv shows, and podcasts to keep me from getting "bored" with my iphone.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Once you get past that pretty interface on the iphone in a week or so, you'll probably start to get bored
These surveys suggest that's not true for the vast majority of iPhone owners:

Early iPhone owners are overwhelmingly happy with their devices, a survey out Friday says, and Apple (AAPL) and AT&T (T) are luring customers from rivals as a result.

In one of the first such studies, 90% of 200 owners said they were "extremely" or "very" satisfied with their phone. And 85% said they are "extremely" or "very" likely to recommend the device to others, says the online survey conducted and paid for by market researcher Interpret of Santa Monica, Calif. The firm surveyed 1,000 cellphone users July 6-10.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2007-07-12-iphone_N.htm

The honeymoon isn't over. A little more than a month after the Apple iPhone went on sale, nearly 90 percent of iPhone owners who answered a PC World survey said that they love their almost-new toy. But they also had a few complaints--most notably regarding the iPhone's voice and data networks--and lots of suggestions.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135595-c,iphone/article.html

90% satisfied is pretty darn good!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
What do you need a survey for? (considering most iphone users probably never used a treo that's capable of more..of course they're happy coming from a cheap candybar phone) This is coming from a treo user who bought an iphone for wife and took it back. She got bored with it and kept borrowing my Treo. For the first few days it was nifty, but again, once you get past the novelty of the iphone, it's just an ipod phone. The browser is too slow on the road but better than the Treo's..but again..too slow. So instead we bought her a treo. It's just easier and more enjoyable for her to use.

Since the OP is a treo user, i gave my opinion. Why do iphone users get so defensive?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2