It's Official The Iphone Is A Dud!!!

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
it's funny. this thread is about the iPhone being a dud but it's actually quite refreshing compared to others.....

Calling is a dud is off-base. The only duds I know are Milk Duds and fireworks that don't ignite. ;-)

I agree it's breathing some life into the phone market, and pushing competition, which is good.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Actually, I think Vista is actually pretty darn good. The benefits outweigh any issues, as least for what I do. (Heavy email, office, web, VMs, media, etc.)

iTunes is a quirky beast on any platform (except Mac, of course). You'd think Apple would make it simpler instead of more complex, but noooooooooo.

But until something better comes along, it will still be on top.

MSFT's upgrade advisor claims 10 OEM drivers and programs won't work on my so-called Vista ready laptop(it says my laptop can take Vista). It's not Vista ready if the OEM stuff won't work! Although that may be Toshiba's fault more than MSFT because they didn't seem to issue updates for Vista usage.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Vista runs poorly on my laptop, the added security features is one big pain, and it just seems sluggish. I miss Windows XP. Doesn't really matter though, it will be on 90% of the worlds computers in a few years.

I think you need a recent laptop and lots o' ram (3GB) to have it perform well. But it is snapperier XP.

But if I have to run a 1GB RAM laptop, it's going XP.

As for security features, it's always a tradeoff; no security = faster, more security = slower. MS had to address it.

I think XP's edge is the drivers - Vista drivers are still lagging, which to me is the biggest problem. MS and ISV screwed the pooch on that one.

The better memory management is reason enough alone to switch (for me).

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
MSFT's upgrade advisor claims 10 OEM drivers and programs won't work on my so-called Vista ready laptop(it says my laptop can take Vista). It's not Vista ready if the OEM stuff won't work! Although that may be Toshiba's fault more than MSFT because they didn't seem to issue updates for Vista usage.

Well, to me, unless you are getting an OEM laptop (no upgrades), all bets are off as far as drivers. ;-)

The days of building fresh images is past (for me). Just remove the crapware, do a reg clean, and you are good to go.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I hate Vista. My lappy came with Vista Ultimate preinstalled and the webcam drivers that are bundled are ****. Every time I plug my lappy back to it's dock it reinstalls the HP printer drivers. If I had my way I would have gotten a machine with XP installed instead, or better yet a MacBook Pro like I knew I should have gotten at the time anyway. I really like my HP laptop hardware which is a semi-truck sized beast (nice having another HDD bay and huge screen) with great fit and finish, especially for it's enormous size. A comparable Mac would have cost $1000 more, but at least it wouldn't be running Windows. I'm afraid by the time I need a new lappy again I'll have all but forgotten this lesson.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I hate Vista. My lappy came with Vista Ultimate preinstalled and the webcam drivers that are bundled are ****. Every time I plug my lappy back to it's dock it reinstalls the HP printer drivers. If I had my way I would have gotten a machine with XP installed instead, or better yet a MacBook Pro like I knew I should have gotten at the time anyway. I really like my HP laptop hardware which is a semi-truck sized beast (nice having another HDD bay and huge screen) with great fit and finish, especially for it's enormous size. A comparable Mac would have cost $1000 more, but at least it wouldn't be running Windows. I'm afraid by the time I need a new lappy again I'll have all but forgotten this lesson.

What latptop did you buy?

Docks...yuck.

That dock behavior is odd for sure.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
OK, here we go, it looks like Windows is unable to tell me if anything of these will work:

Review these device issues for Windows Vista
Check the following table for device issues you should address to ensure they will work properly with Windows Vista. Issue Type Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

Bluetooth ACPI from TOSHIBA Toshiba After installing Windows Vista, this device will require an updated driver. To obtain the latest driver, go to the device manufacturer's website or contact you retailer.

Cannot find information on these devices
The following table contains devices for which we have no information. Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

TOSHIBA RAID Virtual Device TOSHIBA CORPORATION There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Toshiba BT Port Toshiba There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Intel Wireless Connection Agent Miniport Intel Corporation There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS Miniport Kaspersky Lab There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

WAN Miniport (ATW) America Online, Inc. There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

TOSHIBA ACPI-Compliant Value Added Logical and General Purpose Device TOSHIBA There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

pcouffin device for 32 bits systems VSO Software There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Bluetooth RFCOMM from TOSHIBA TOSHIBA There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller Texas Instruments Inc There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
If you really hate it that much, why not just reformat and install XP?

Because I hate XP almost as much? :D

I just don't have time to deal with it right now. Bottom line is that it is acceptable enough right now, and possibly a bunch of tweaks and optimizations probably could be done by me to get it working perfectly. Throw into the mix the fact that I got a 64bit AMD lappy and that may have something to do with it as well.

I have a HP DV9000. It's really nice in many ways and I like the dock since it is one cable to detach instead of 7 or 8.

The bottom line is I would have been happier with a Mac. It was through shopping by specs that I ended up with Windows and I really should have weighed other considerations more heavily. It is all the little things that make a difference for each of us in our preferences, whether it is a phone, car, computer or girlfriend. I'm not saying Macs are better, but I think in my case it would have been better for me personally. For others it could be completely opposite.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
OK, here we go, it looks like Windows is unable to tell me if anything of these will work:

Review these device issues for Windows Vista
Check the following table for device issues you should address to ensure they will work properly with Windows Vista. Issue Type Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

Bluetooth ACPI from TOSHIBA Toshiba After installing Windows Vista, this device will require an updated driver. To obtain the latest driver, go to the device manufacturer's website or contact you retailer.

Cannot find information on these devices
The following table contains devices for which we have no information. Category Model Manufacturer Action Required

TOSHIBA RAID Virtual Device TOSHIBA CORPORATION There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Toshiba BT Port Toshiba There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Intel Wireless Connection Agent Miniport Intel Corporation There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Kaspersky Anti-Virus NDIS Miniport Kaspersky Lab There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

WAN Miniport (ATW) America Online, Inc. There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

TOSHIBA ACPI-Compliant Value Added Logical and General Purpose Device TOSHIBA There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

pcouffin device for 32 bits systems VSO Software There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Bluetooth RFCOMM from TOSHIBA TOSHIBA There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller Texas Instruments Inc There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

What laptop is this?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
What latptop did you buy?

Docks...yuck.

That dock behavior is odd for sure.

Yeah, the dock also has issues when going from my 22" external to just the laptop monitor, and then back. One or both of the monitors will be at the wrong resolution and I'll have to manually change them. PITA.

Also, waking from sleep still sucks in Windows. On a Mac you can just shut the lappy, it goes to sleep. Open it, it wakes instantly. Inside the bag it stays cool. Windows is still hit and miss. OS X just works better in this one particular regard.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Because I hate XP almost as much? :D

I just don't have time to deal with it right now. Bottom line is that it is acceptable enough right now, and possibly a bunch of tweaks and optimizations probably could be done by me to get it working perfectly. Throw into the mix the fact that I got a 64bit AMD lappy and that may have something to do with it as well.

I have a HP DV9000. It's really nice in many ways and I like the dock since it is one cable to detach instead of 7 or 8.

The bottom line is I would have been happier with a Mac. It was through shopping by specs that I ended up with Windows and I really should have weighed other considerations more heavily. It is all the little things that make a difference for each of us in our preferences, whether it is a phone, car, computer or girlfriend. I'm not saying Macs are better, but I think in my case it would have been better for me personally. For others it could be completely opposite.

I personally think AMD is just as good as Intel with enough RAM. You may have Ultimate on that model and that needs 4GB.

So you're Macbook Pro material it seems, :D. What're you going to do with the HP if you get a Macbook Pro?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I personally think AMD is just as good as Intel with enough RAM. You may have Ultimate on that model and that needs 4GB.

So you're Macbook Pro material it seems, :D. What're you going to do with the HP if you get a Macbook Pro?

My wife will have something to say about that I'm afraid :( But I'm in the process of sourcing a comp. to be the home entertainment system box, I might get a Mac Mini after Leopard comes out for that, and thus get my Mac cravings out of the way.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox