It's Official The Iphone Is A Dud!!!

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

Maybe the holiday season will boost the iPhone, but quite frankly, I don't think it will.

Giving iPods is one thing, but phones? That is usually not high on the Xmas list here in the states, mainly due to contract limitations (maybe different in Euroland).

Also, phone purchases tend to be a personal choice (more so than an mp3 player).

Anyway, on the topic of Dynasty parenting, if Dynasty was on today, Joan Collins and Linda Evans would be having hot monkey sex together.

As far as debt, I don't know anyone who caries a balance on their cards. Only buy what you can afford.

Freak4Dell

Dec 17, 2006
Visit site
Man, with a phone like this, I'm surprised they aren't targeting it more towards kids. That's a huge money maker right there. Think about it...Apple advertises the hell out of this thing, which is why people think it's so great. Most people don't realize that a lot of other phones do the same things that the iPhone does. They think that it's a true superphone, just because they don't realize it doesn't have half the features a real powerhouse phone, like the Mogul or the Treo does. If Apple can trick adults that easily, think about how easy kids would be. The so-called "cool" factor alone would be enough to convince many of my friends. Motorola did it with the RAZR, and Apple can do it with the iPhone. Plus, the no insurance thing means if a kid breaks it, Apple's got a chance at snagging another $500 from the same stupid kid, or the kid's stupid parents.

It's a good thing some engineers actually try and design good phones for the few of us who care. If all of them were like the ones at Apple and Motorola, every phone would be a complete piece of crap, and it'd be left up to the advertising departments to make the sales.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Most kids have to beg their parents to spend that much money, I would think. In some places, $600 is a school year wardrobe! It may look like everyone is doing well, but that's basically professionals in urban or suburban areas and also well paid blue collar workers. I bet you the majority did NOT get their kids $600 or even $500 iPhones, or themselves for that matter.

I actually liked the RAZR as a 2nd phone. And the RAZR2 is out and they finally got it right. They actually had it right for some time in Europe but shortchanged the US, as usual. :censored:

3G and fully functional(as non-business phones only, I mean) RAZRs finally made it! The new ones(and even some older ones) have features the iPhone does not if you can believe it! 3G, A2DP, IM, MMS, customizable ringtones, backgrounds, games, Java, etc.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Maybe the holiday season will boost the iPhone, but quite frankly, I don't think it will.

Giving iPods is one thing, but phones? That is usually not high on the Xmas list here in the states, mainly due to contract limitations (maybe different in Euroland).

Also, phone purchases tend to be a personal choice (more so than an mp3 player).

If Apple announces something "new" and flashy for it, it'll pick up sales. This always works on their other popluar models. iPod and laptops seem to pick up in sales when they come out with something new.

However I do notice a lot of people seem to be selling their Macbooks on Craig's List. That's not a good sign IMO. They aren't selling Powerbooks or Macbook Pros anywhere near as much, which makes me wonder if the new cheaper Macbooks are not that great and people feel the need to upgrade to the Pros. Or maybe people are thinking Apple will once again announce something new in September.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site

However I do notice a lot of people seem to be selling their Macbooks on Craig's List. That's not a good sign IMO. They aren't selling Powerbooks or Macbook Pros anywhere near as much, which makes me wonder if the new cheaper Macbooks are not that great and people feel the need to upgrade to the Pros. Or maybe people are thinking Apple will once again announce something new in September.

My guess there are simply more Macbooks on the market. Remember, a Pro is an up-market item, and even the Macbook isn't an inexpensive laptop starting @ $1100. My guess is it is like 5/1 ratio at least between the standard and Pro Macbooks.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
What (besides MikeC's awesome first hand iPhone sales reports from the streets) make you guys think iPhone sales are not on target? Didn't apple say they expect to sell their 1 millionth iPhone at the end of september? Maybe they are right.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Not seeing enough out in the open. I still see far too many flip phones, BB Pearls and older BBs. Also Blackjacks and Qs. And not that many iPhones at all.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
My guess there are simply more Macbooks on the market. Remember, a Pro is an up-market item, and even the Macbook isn't an inexpensive laptop starting @ $1100. My guess is it is like 5/1 ratio at least between the standard and Pro Macbooks.

I don't even see people dumping their old iBooks and old Powerbooks as much as I see Macbooks being dumped. I even saw half price a few times and that's rare for people to ask half price for such a newer laptop. Something is wrong here IMO. But then I compared specs again and no wonder no one wants to get rid of their Powerbooks and newer Macbook Pros, but they sure don't seem to want their plain old Macbooks!

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
mm

mobileman...you are back, after swearing off this thread and claiming you were leaving. You know, there a name for behavior like that...

I guess you got bored with your iPhone and came on back.

Please feel free to come back and gloat when the Sept. sales numbers, Dec 07 number and Dec 08 numbers are published.

I think they are not moving as fast as Apple would like...but again, what do I know, other than some salespeople at the Apple Store in one of CA's highest disposable income counties.

Diva, as far as phone, I think the new Nokias coming out in Q3 are pretty slick as well, esp. as second phone.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Not seeing enough out in the open. I still see far too many flip phones, BB Pearls and older BBs. Also Blackjacks and Qs. And not that many iPhones at all.

Despite not having seen any in the first month, I am seeing them in the wild now. I've seen about 5 or 6 in the last couple weeks. Always browsing the web or using functionality other than the phone. Of course, I'm in silicon valley, so it's not exactly a representative sample.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
mobileman...you are back, after swearing off this thread and claiming you were leaving. You know, there a name for behavior like that...

I guess you got bored with your iPhone and came on back.

Hey genius, please show me any where in this thread where I said I was leaving. Like usual, I think you have your facts wrong, or maybe you are lying again. You know, there is a name for behavior like that.....

I think they are not moving as fast as Apple would like...but again, what do I know

Judging by your inability to get your facts straight, and a clear history of "bending the truth", I would say you don't know much.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site

Even if Apple has already sold a million iPhones, spread out over the whole country, you still would not see that many.

There are probably tens of millions of Blackberry's sold. I very rarely see anything but a blackberry or a treo. Then again, I'm really never looking.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
mm

mobileman,

Sorry, you drivelling posts are so confusing.

It was the other thread you said your adieu...although it might as been for all of TC.

My apologies for confusing the threads.

(see how easy that is?)

Again, if iPhones were selling like hotcakes, we'd see more of them, esp. in metro areas like SF, NY, etc.

I can't speak for NYC, but in the SF area, lots of iPhones in stores, but not on the streets.

But like I said, come back and gloat at the according dates.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Toledo. And Wichita. iPhones are HUGE is Wichita.

Seriously, I deem the iPhone to be a success of a failure based on how it would function for me personally, not based on units sold in stores. I give it a 79 of 100, B-/C+. I couldn't switch to it now but it is one of the best looking alternatives in the future as it hopefully opens up to more functionality.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Despite not having seen any in the first month, I am seeing them in the wild now. I've seen about 5 or 6 in the last couple weeks. Always browsing the web or using functionality other than the phone. Of course, I'm in silicon valley, so it's not exactly a representative sample.

The few I saw did indeed use it as a phone, except one. He used it as a video iPod.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Even if Apple has already sold a million iPhones, spread out over the whole country, you still would not see that many.

There are probably tens of millions of Blackberry's sold. I very rarely see anything but a blackberry or a treo. Then again, I'm really never looking.

I really would have expected to see more here, due to the hype and lines. Looking at the frenzy of the first weekend and week, I should have seen at least two iPhones a week by now. One to two per month is more like it.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
mobileman,

Sorry, you drivelling posts are so confusing.

I have no doubt you find the treocentral message boards a little too confusing for you.

It was the other thread you said your adieu...although it might as been for all of TC.

I left that thread because of the constant lies and misquotes. I accept your apology though.

Again, if iPhones were selling like hotcakes, we'd see more of them, esp. in metro areas like SF, NY, etc.

I can't speak for NYC, but in the SF area, lots of iPhones in stores, but not on the streets.

But like I said, come back and gloat at the according dates.

I keep my iPhone in my pocket, unless ofcourse I'm on the phone. Who knows how many people have walked by you with an iPhone.

As for gloating, unless Steve Jobs sends me a check, I can care less how many iPhones he sells.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I really would have expected to see more here, due to the hype and lines. Looking at the frenzy of the first weekend and week, I should have seen at least two iPhones a week by now. One to two per month is more like it.

Still not so sure about that. For example, my AT&T rep tells me how great the Blackberry Curve has been selling. Outside of my office, I have never seen anybody using a curve.

It just hasn't been out that long.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
The Curve is still a business oriented phone, not really a general public phone. The Pearl is cute enough like a regular phone to get people to jump on it. The Curve looks like an original but miniature curved BB. Of course as you know, I like it as the best of both worlds. But general public wants "hot" and that would mean the iPhone. Maybe the price is keeping people away. When you have cute phones for a lot less, what will most of the US public take? They really should have given a subsidy of $100-$200 at ATT IMO. $400 would have grabbed more people.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I have no doubt you find the treocentral message boards a little too confusing for you.

I left that thread because of the constant lies and misquotes. I accept your apology though.

I keep my iPhone in my pocket, unless ofcourse I'm on the phone. Who knows how many people have walked by you with an iPhone.

As for gloating, unless Steve Jobs sends me a check, I can care less how many iPhones he sells.

You left becuase you got caught in your own mistatements (find that Jornada receipt yet?). Whatever projections you need to put on me is between you and a qualified therapist.

I may have walked by hundreds of people with iPhones in their pockets, just as I walk by thousands with other phones in their pocket. But still, people use thier phones and iPods quite a bit. I can't beleive it's just the "shy-pod" effect.

Steve already gave you the perfect device (for your needs), so why would he need to cut a check?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh