It's Official The Iphone Is A Dud!!!

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
The only problem being that ATT reported that only 147,000 were activated that first weekend and Apple blames the activation delay for the rest of them which I don't buy. I think someone's numbers are off.

Maybe surur is right when he said Apple is counting 'shipped to AT&T as 'sold'. Which doesn't mean they aren't sold to the customer by now anyway, but it could explain the discrepancy.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
AT&T is reporting "Activated" phones.
Apple is reporting "Sold" phones.
At the rate of phones being sold per hour, It's conceivable that a large number of phones were bought but not yet activated within that period of time they're accounting for. For one thing the activation system was messed up for a day or two which could be part of the problem.
Unlike normal phones which are activated by AT&T before you leave the store, people could have bought the iPhone a not yet activated it.

Not that this is necessarily the case, but it seems likely.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
Apple has rarely done that in the past.
Well look at the iPod.
First the iPod (expensive) then the ipod shuffle (Cheap.)
While the shuffle is more than just cheaper, a similar concept goes to it.
If they make an cheaper iPhone with smaller screen, reduced funcitonality and cost, how is that much different from introducing the iPhone shuffle for $99?
The iPod line has various cost models, and I assume Apple is going to milk every penny they can out of the iPhone line.
There is a consumer demographic that will NEVER pay $600 for any phone. Why not create a product to tap the under $600 market as well? Put Motorla's wireless division out of business for good? Get people hooked on iPhone so they want to upgrade at Christmas.

If anything the Playstation 3 at only $100 more than the XBOX 360 is evidence of a psychological price barrier. Then the Wii is flying off of shelves because it's half the price. Reduced feature set, but hey, there are a lot of people that won't pay $500 for a game console.

Of course other factors contribute to the console wars so it's not really the best analogy, but a lot of it does have to do with prices.

I used to work at TiVo, we launched the Series 3 at $700 or so. We knew there was a very small market for that and had to get the $300 or lower HD box with reduced feature set (and cost reduction) out ASAP to hit mass market. The series 3 would have been cheaper except it was so dang expensive to build we couldn't.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
The iPhone Shuffle will have no screen, and will just know who you should be dialing.

Surur

Actually a tiny little phone you could clip on your lapel with earbuds only use (but with voice dialing, managed within iTunes) might not be all bad. Especially if you could use it on the same line as your iPhone. So if your number rings, it will ring on both, but the shuffle would only let you know you have a call if your headphones are plugged in (no built-in speaker). No display or speaker could mean good battery life even though it is so small. I'm thinking this would only be for sports, jogging etc. Maybe driving. Just a (maybe dumb) thought.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
What will be interesting is seeing how many second hand iPhones are being sold at that point too :D

It won't matter...Apple makes money on the sales, and on the subscription revenues (very lucative for them...why get $600 from a customer with you can get $1800 over two years? (assuming Apple getting 50% cut of an average $100/month phone bill)

(I have no idea what percentage Apple gets, but whatever it is, it's gravey on the original sale.)

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
It won't matter...Apple makes money on the sales, and on the subscription revenues (very lucative for them...why get $600 from a customer with you can get $1800 over two years? (assuming Apple getting 50% cut of an average $100/month phone bill)

(I have no idea what percentage Apple gets, but whatever it is, it's gravey on the original sale.)
Are you referring to this?

From the Street.com (treat as "rumor")
People close to the companies tell TheStreet.com that AT&T is paying Apple a bounty of between $150 and $200 per phone -- plus $9 a month per phone over the life of the typical two-year customer contract.
source

That's $416 per iPhone that AT&T pays to Apple, if true. Say 200,000 phones sold so far = $83 million?

Yikes.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Are you referring to this?

From the Street.com (treat as "rumor")

source

Yikes, if true.

I was not referring to that specifically; if that is the the case, that means selling each iPhone is ~$1000 in revenue to Apple - almost like a full computer.

If they negotiated that deal, more power to them.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

Had to give this thread a bump...

Saw my 4th iPhone in the wild yesterday in the heart of Appleville.

Hadn't seen one in a while...was getting worried about the sales forecast for Sept. But now that I've seen another, all is well.

The back to school crowd will save the day.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Back to school crowd? So far I've only seen adults with iPhones, which is as it should be IMO. There's no way I'd give that to a kid! Look what they do with regular cell phones(or worse, cars) and parents are going to buy them this???

P.S. I suspect your statement was a little tongue in cheek, but still I really wouldn't like to see lots of kids with an iPhone. The breakage, abuse and theft possibilities scare me. JMO though.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Back to school crowd? So far I've only seen adults with iPhones, which is as it should be IMO. There's no way I'd give that to a kid! Look what they do with regular cell phones(or worse, cars) and parents are going to buy them this???

P.S. I suspect your statement was a little tongue in cheek, but still I really wouldn't like to see lots of kids with an iPhone. The breakage, abuse and theft possibilities scare me. JMO though.

Are you kidding, where i live I see them in kids hands in droves, and you know when the next toy phone comes out, their parents will pay penalty and buy them the new phone.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
diva

Diva,

Tongue was firmly planted in cheek, ala Selma Blair and Sarah Michelle Gellar.

While I agree that kids are not the target demographic, never underestimate the culture of entitlement that today's teens (and young college students) live in. Their parents give them pretty much whatever they want.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Where are you cglaguna? In CA?

How are the kids taking care of these? It's sturdy and fragile at the same time. I know 2 adults who busted their screens(not on iPhone) just having them in their pocket and forgetting to take them out when I think sitting or standing up, and apparently the screens bent somehow and broke. People dropping phones on sidewalks is not uncommon also.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
ahh..

cglaguna beat me to it.

There was Gen x, Gen Y, Gen Trough, and even Gen Z. But I call them Generation G - as in Gimme Gimme Gimme.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
For the topic of the thread, I think maybe the Christmas crowd is going to be big. September is coming and Apple likes September surprises. If they announce something good for the iPhone, like updated ROM or something, many may be lined up around Christmas.

I know I would like to see an updated ROM before I buy it. I'm already with the dreaded ATT, so that part is covered. :D

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
cglaguna beat me to it.

There was Gen x, Gen Y, Gen Trough, and even Gen Z. But I call them Generation G - as in Gimme Gimme Gimme.

IMO adults are to blame. Think Dynasty if you remember that. Ever since the indulgent 80s, everyone has wanted it all! And we passed it on to the kids. They see people up their a:censored:s in debt over stuff they can't afford and they want the same. Can we really blame them? We taught them this is the way of life here in the US.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
slippery

Yea, the old sit down and watch it slide out and drop on the floor is a lot of fun.

Screen bending? Hadn't heard of that one.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
That's what they said, I didn't question them. Maybe they did drop them and were too ashamed to admit it. It happened on a Dash and a Blackjack. Since those phones are thin, maybe they did bend.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods