It's Official The Iphone Is A Dud!!!

ilovedessert

Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
I JUST FOUND THIS ONLINE AND THOUGHT IT PROVES THAT AT&T STINKS AND THE IPHONE IS A DUD!

Print This Article | Close this window

Apple falls on initial iPhone activation numbers
Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:38AM EDT
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Shares of Apple Inc (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) fell 4 percent on Tuesday after AT&T Inc (T.N: Quote, Profile, Research) issued initial subscriber numbers for customers of Apple's iPhone that were below analyst estimates.

Shares of Apple were off $5.70 to $138.02 on Nasdaq after AT&T, the exclusive service provider for iPhone, said it signed up 146,000 iPhone customers as subscribers in the first two days of iPhone sales, well below analyst estimates for sales.

Pacific Crest analyst Andy Hargreaves said that while iPhone sales figures for coming months would be more telling than the first few days, AT&T's number had disappointed investors as some analysts estimated sales "north of 500,000."

Hargreaves had himself estimated 400,000 iPhone sales for the first two days, he said.

"The difference (between sales and activations) is going to be what was sold on eBay or activations that didn't happen immediately. There were some problems with activations but from what we heard it was minimal," the analyst said.

Apple and AT&T had attracted long lines of gadget enthusiasts to their stores when the much-hyped iPhone first went on sale in the evening of June 29.

? Reuters 2006. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

Reuters journalists are subject to the Reuters Editorial Handbook which requires fair presentation and disclosure of relevant interests.

zelgo#IM

Feb 20, 2005
Visit site
Thankfully you're not a scientist.
A report of stock going down doesn't prove anything...

Knowing how Palm has a strong history of dropping stock, I guess it's a dud and it stinks too.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Apparently we will get a better picture on Wednesday when Apple releases its figures. I try not to crow too soon.

Surur

Crimson

May 23, 2007
Visit site
Apple succeeding only helps push other players like Palm to innovate more.. which is a good thing. The iPhone is not a failure by any means, it might not live up to the hype but it pushes the envelope in many ways.

ilovedessert

Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
I am not calling it a dud because the stock dropped I am calling it a dud, b/c with all of the hype they sold only 146,000 which is not much considering the hype. The biggest problem as I see it is they are tied to AT&T which is the pits! I was with AT&T and with Cingular and they both STINK! Down at the bottom of Consumer Reports along with Sprint. The selected AT&T b/c they would let apple do what ever it wanted. The should have selected verizon and used Verizon's expertise in customer service, not AT&T who treats you like CRAP! For GOD'S sake you there were so many reports of not being able to sign on with AT&T!

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I'm glad. I really dislike Verizon in a lot of ways. Just one of many examples is forcing you to sign a new contract if you merely change your rate plan. There's no justification for that.

davidg4781

Jan 11, 2006
Visit site
I am not calling it a dud because the stock dropped I am calling it a dud, b/c with all of the hype they sold only 146,000 which is not much considering the hype. The biggest problem as I see it is they are tied to AT&T which is the pits! I was with AT&T and with Cingular and they both STINK! Down at the bottom of Consumer Reports along with Sprint. The selected AT&T b/c they would let apple do what ever it wanted. The should have selected verizon and used Verizon's expertise in customer service, not AT&T who treats you like CRAP! For GOD'S sake you there were so many reports of not being able to sign on with AT&T!

Read buddy. 146,000 were ACTIVATED in the first TWO days. A lot more were sold and put up on eBay, or weren't activated because of either long wait times or just wanted to wait until they got home. And remember, it went on sale at 6pm, so it's really just a little over 1 day of sales, and many places sold out, so there are a lot more on back order.

But, I do agree with you on AT&T/Cingular's service. I had horrible reception and the customer service was bad. Don't get me wrong, Sprint's customer service is really hit or miss, and usually it's a miss, but at least I don't have to call in so often.

Freak4Dell

Dec 17, 2006
Visit site
The iPhone isn't a dud, although I'm glad to see that users are being smart for the most part and not jumping over cliffs to get this POS.

davidg4781, the article said Apple expected sales of 500,000. I'm pretty sure the analyst is not just switching back and forth between definitions of sales. Apple probably expected 500,000 activations, not just sales.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
Doesn't ATT do this as well now?
If you change plans from say family to single, or standard to universal, then yes. But if you just change your rate within a plan (move up or down rates/buckets) then absolutely not. Then again maybe Verizon allows this also but I had heard differently along with things like if you cancel you data plan, you can't re-subscribe to one until the next billing period.
Ironically AT&T mandated a 2 year contract with the iPhone which is one of those very things I'm essentially bashing Verizon for. However $20 data plan was a nice surprise. It's one reason I didn't even consider the iphone. Forced contract with no subsidy, no-return policy after 15 days, no FAN discounts on the plan. So AT&T isn't exactly better necessarily.
I've had both and I honestly say although there is not as wide of a coverage area, I like AT&T a lot more. But each person has their own preference. Like I like Sirius but really don't like XM's programing while others are reverse.

If the iPhone had come out on Verizon, though, it would most likely be 3G I believe. So being (stuck) with AT&T could have a lot to do with why it's on 2(.5)G data.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Are you sure this is not a case of iPhone envy? Despite of its shortcoming, it will still sell. Lots of Apple fans out there.
<moved>
Interesting that you moved it here rather than to the dedicated iPhone forum at Phone Different.

I actually posted the same news at PD a couple of hours before the first post in this thread, but I guess it went pretty much unnoticed :(

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
And if the profits "soaring" is any indication, whatever happened post the initial 2 days must have been good.
Well, that Engadget interpretation of stocks is interesting.

At least one commenter disagreed saying:
AT&T profits were not up largely on iPhones sales. It was earnings related to the Bell South acquisition that caused profits to ride high.
Now I don't pretend to know enough about the matter to pass judgment, but it seems like there are either alternative explanations or correlating factors for the rise in stock price...

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
When I read it carefully, it does say those great profits are based on the 176,000 activations or whatever. So it's not as if it reflects anything above and beyond the revelation of 176k acts. Therefore a moot point. The same information being both disappointing and positive at the same time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR