iMacs with Multitouch?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
There is a documentary I'm watching right now called 'The Future We Will Create: Inside the World of TED' from 2006 TED conference in Monterey, CA. A research scientist shows off a version of Multitouch that can use all 10 fingers, and is something like an artist's desk. It is the second lecture into the documentary and I wish I had a YouTube clip, but it gives a good idea of what Apple and others may have in the works very soon :) Suddenly Microsoft's coffee table computer doesn't look as silly of an idea. Pretty cool!

nsquared

May 31, 2008
Visit site
My hope would be for a mulit-touch OS X tablet in the very near future. Anyone heard of such plans? I'm sure it's in the works - the popularity of the iPhone would make such a tablet seem very likely...

speced

Jun 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure there is much demand for a tablet. The iPhone works as such as is perfectly portable. And with the addition of multi-touch to the MBPs they've opened up the gestures bag. Why would you want work on a tablet as your everyday computer? Seems like too much effort if you ask me.

CoachFreak

Jun 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure there is much demand for a tablet. The iPhone works as such as is perfectly portable. And with the addition of multi-touch to the MBPs they've opened up the gestures bag. Why would you want work on a tablet as your everyday computer? Seems like too much effort if you ask me.

I have many UMPCs and tablet PCs, no more regular notebooks for me and I am ANXIOUSLY and patiently waiting for my iMacTablet.

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
can you explain to me the appeal of tablets? I find them cool and feature packed, but what are the main reasons tablets are so hyped?

Whenever i hear an interview from Bill Gates, he always swears by his tablet. I just want to know a little more about a technology that I am completely unfamiliar with.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
iMacs with Multi-touch would be great, but I don't see it as being very practical, considering you have a mouse and keyboard. It would be nice to manipulate pictures that way, but it doesnt seem precise enough for detailed work.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
The overall design would have to change a lot. Positioning the screen at a 30 degree angle might make it practical, at least to me. The way it is now doesn't suit multi-touch. Frumpy is what it would be like, frumpy.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I don't know how much I tilt my monitor now, but I doubt it is anywhere close to 30 degrees. I wonder how this is going to work. I don't think I will be as productive with a monitor tilted so much. The colors will be off too.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
My point is, the use of the computer would have to completely change. An iMac with a touchscreen would be like... putting wheels on its base. What would be the point? We don't take iMacs for walks(well I don't, not normally at least); likewise, we don't do any serious "touching" with any vertical-standing monitors. It's too awkward. It'd only be practical if it were a horizontal surface; think: non-portable modbook, except stylus-less.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73