Yahoo/ SBC constantly goes down

zrs70

Oct 21, 2003
Visit site
I am an sbcglobal person. A year ago, I had all my e-mail forwarded to Gmail, because SBC would break down on a daily basis. Now with iphone, I am back to retaining the SBC service.

I am now facing daily (hourly?) blips in service again, effecting both my iphone and my laptop. Any work-arounds?

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I am a sbc global person as well. (I assume you mean DSL service).

Can you explain in more detail what your problem is? You are now trying to use sbcglobal for email? If so, why not just keep using gmail?

zrs70

Oct 21, 2003
Visit site
I am back to sbc because of push email.

(btw... Those with sbcglobal accounts can get push email via yahoo by enterring "name@sbcglobal.net@yahoo.com in the mail set up area.)

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
ah, i see.

I have my own domain, and I forward the mail to gmail. From there i use gmail forwarding to forward to my own imap account; I don't get push, but I haven't missed it much. I'm hoping that they add support for push in other imap accounts besides yahoo at some point soon.

I was considering forwarding from google to yahoo, but i've seen too many people report intermittant delays and downtime; i recall back when I used to use yahoo for mail, i'd get multi-hour delays. Gmail is pretty much rock solid, so I'd rather accept a maximum delay of 15 minutes (due to polling) than risk a huge delay due to yahoo.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
if they just made the polling time shorter it would eliminate the issue. Checking every 1-5 mins is just as good as push IMHO.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
battery life would be pretty bad in that case
maybe.... though my treo never had battery problems checking every 5 mins which would probably be enough for the vast majority of users. I actually thing 15 mins is a little long to wait, but 5 would be fine.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
My treo battery life dropped by half when i installed chatter, and that was with imap push and maximum battery-saving settings.

But i'm often in 3 bars or less, so that's probably a lot to do with it.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Yahoo mail sucks. No much false postive spam, and mail the never gets delivered.

Gmail is much better (for a free service).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR