• No

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
There was a rumor on Wall Street yesterday of a new iPhone in the nano form factor that would sell for about $300-. The rumor claimed to be based in part upon an FCC filing but such a filing would be silent on price.

WatersWest

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't be shocked it at some point in the future, Apple comes out with a flip-style phone similar to what Blackberry is soon to release. I wouldn't expect this too soon. Right now, the focus of Apple is on a full-featured multi-media device with a big, beautiful touch-screen interface. However, remember a couple years ago when Motorola made a Razr that was iTunes compatible? This was a great concept with poor execution. Once Apple has saturated the market with the current model, it will probably look for money-making opportunities in other niches, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a flip-style phone with a smaller screen in a couple of years.

nsquared

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I just can't wrap my head around a flip-iPhone. It just seems like large, beautiful touch screens are were it's at. It would seem very cumbersome to have to flip something open then navigate with touch. But I could be wrong... It seems like smaller 'candybars' is the way they will likely go...

isitnyu

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
an owner of a nano, i dont think there is a great chance of this coming in the new future. It's so small light with not even a large enough screen to wrap my 3 fingers around it. Maybe a iphone boosted sized nano would be likely but not a nano sized iphone. With that, you probably cant even view a full screen on safari and will be extrememly hard to configure.

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
an owner of a nano, i dont think there is a great chance of this coming in the new future. It's so small light with not even a large enough screen to wrap my 3 fingers around it. Maybe a iphone boosted sized nano would be likely but not a nano sized iphone. With that, you probably cant even view a full screen on safari and will be extrememly hard to configure.
It would not be as much a true nano-sized iPhone, of course, but a smaller version of the current iphone thus the shorthand 'iphone nano'. I believe that there would be a robust market for a lower priced phone that incorporated some of the key apple features. Basically, this is what the ROKR was intended to do with iTunes integration but it was saddled with poor Moto design and a ridiculous 100 song storage limit. An Apple birthed ROKR would likely be a much slicker device with some kind of keypad and true itunes integration with a smaller storage capacity than the iphone (think 2-4gb). For $100-200 with carrier subsidy, they would fly off of the proverbial shelves. Don't believe me? Take a look at the ipod product line, specifically the shuffle. It has no screen, very limited memory and functionality but has sold in the millions of units. The ipod for the masses. Before the launch people claimed that no one would every buy an ipod without a screen, I guess they were wrong (a few million times over).

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
The biggest difference between the iPhone and all other cell phones is the Mac OS X interface. Shrinking the size of the phone would make it harder to use and might even require significantly different software. Apple is already making Mac OS X, iCal, iPhoto, Safari, iTunes, Aperture, Final Cut Pro, iMovie, iPod software, Mobile OS X (for iPhone and iPod Touch), and lots of other software. I can't imagine that Apple would want to introduce a whole new platform just to reduce the size a little. The iPhone is already the world's best phone, so there's no reason to change it that much.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
There was a rumor on Wall Street yesterday of a new iPhone in the nano form factor that would sell for about $300-. The rumor claimed to be based in part upon an FCC filing but such a filing would be silent on price.
Well, we got the price.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I absolutely think Apple is headed that direction. I think some people want a smaller, simpler phone. Just like when the original iPod came out, people wanted something smaller.

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
I would have to say that they are going in this direction but i dont really understand why they would want to. I know people liek small but at some point i think things become wayyy too small. Even the current nano i find to be a little to small and somethign that i could break in my hands if i really wanted to. I also think it would ruin the amazing functionality that the iphone already has. if we made a tiny little screen you arent goign to be able to view the beautiful internet browser like you can on the 3.5 in. screen that we have now. also videos are goign to be smaller. i love the screen size and although some peopel wanna get smaller, some times bigger is just better.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I think a phone the size of the original iPod nano would be nice. It would make it really stylish as a phone. It won't be too functional if you wanted to browse the internet, check your email, etc. So this could maybe be phone + ipod only. Then again, maybe not.

alex.stef

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I think their plans are for an iPhone Nano, but personally I don't like the idea. This iPhone is almost perfect as it is. But if they're going for a smaller version, then this one shouldn't be too small, not like the iPod nano.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I think it's possible they're looking that way but unlikely it will be coming out any time soon. I read an article in MacLife where they found a patent for a flip phone and drew a mock up something similar to:
apple-patent-application-dual-sided-trackpad-iphone-2.jpg

A touchscreen glass piece with small LED lighting. Interesting none the less.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I think their plans are for an iPhone Nano, but personally I don't like the idea. This iPhone is almost perfect as it is. But if they're going for a smaller version, then this one shouldn't be too small, not like the iPod nano.
Oh yeah, the current iPod nano seems really, really small for a phone. Maybe the size of the iPod mini or the original iPod nano. Those are good sizes.

HymerSchmidt

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
I can't really see it; I don't know if the market is there. I personally hate small phones. They are too easy to lose, and can be annoyingly small.

The UI would require a huge overhaul and the functionality would match a RAZr(no browser, no anythings but contacts and a phone). The smaller iPods retain most of the functionality of the larger ones, so it's mostly a storage downgrade. If they did this with the iPhone, the small version might get treated like an inbred cousin. Besides, there are a lot of companies already making severely handicapped phones -- and are doing it well. There's too much competition and not enough incentive.

Maybe they can go slightly smaller -- like a 3" screen -- but anything else seems very un-Apple. Less than 3" and it's an iPhone Shuffle.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal