I had ordered 2 8-gig models at 6:00 on i-Friday. They arrived at my office in two separate brown boxes. I opened one of the brown boxes just to take a look.

Does anyone recall whether, prior to activation, you can see the signal strength meter on the phone? I figure the only reason to open the thing up is to see how the signal is at my office, since I can't activate until I get home.

The back of the box had more disclaimers than I expected. "Battery has limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by Apple service provider." The way that is phrased, I wonder if there may eventually be other sources for the battery swap (seems unlikely, but whatever.)

"1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less." Ah, the lawyers at work.

So, so far, I give the packaging an "A." Nice and compact. Very shiny.

Now I have to decide whether to transfer my numbers (i'm month-to-month on sprint) or to set up new numbers; I have enough hesitation about the at&t network and the phone's capabilities to wonder whether I'll keep these things. I figure cancelling the sprint over the phone (instead of by moving my number) will be a half-hour-minimum ordeal with some dude in Bangalore.
    07-09-2007 12:28 PM
    I had ordered 2 8-gig models at 6:00 on i-Friday. They arrived at my office in two separate brown boxes. I opened one of the brown boxes just to take a look.

Does anyone recall whether, prior to activation, you can see the signal strength meter on the phone? I figure the only reason to open the thing up is to see how the signal is at my office, since I can't activate until I get home.

The back of the box had more disclaimers than I expected. "Battery has limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by Apple service provider." The way that is phrased, I wonder if there may eventually be other sources for the battery swap (seems unlikely, but whatever.)

"1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less." Ah, the lawyers at work.

So, so far, I give the packaging an "A." Nice and compact. Very shiny.

Now I have to decide whether to transfer my numbers (i'm month-to-month on sprint) or to set up new numbers; I have enough hesitation about the at&t network and the phone's capabilities to wonder whether I'll keep these things. I figure cancelling the sprint over the phone (instead of by moving my number) will be a half-hour-minimum ordeal with some dude in Bangalore.
    I believe it will say "no service" until the SIM is activated. Without signal bars, of course. Sorry, but good luck with the phones!
    07-09-2007 02:20 PM
    I gave it a shot. There are "bars" but it looks like 0-bars - since I'm in a window office a few floors up in an area that should have decent service, I'm guessing there is a signal but it doesn't bother updating the signal meter.

On the other hand - wow. The little glittering animations and such really make the phone feel almost like a little living being. Those guys in cupertino sure know how to add little cues to a GUI.

Looking forward to getting it home and activating these things. I'm leaning toward new phone numbers just to make life simpler.
    07-09-2007 02:33 PM
    glad you're enjoying it so far. that's exactly what i did, i initiated service using new numbers and simply have my Pearl on call-forwarding during this trial period.

enjoy
    07-09-2007 05:30 PM
    Dude, thanks for that idea. It hadn't even occurred to me to forward. (Sprint charges for forwarding [or at least they did when I started my service - no idea if they still do] so I never used that service).

Has anyone, after activating the iphone with a new number, managed to transfer an existing number to the iphone? I'm wondering how befuddled at&t's customer service is right now.
    07-09-2007 05:37 PM
    Dude, thanks for that idea. It hadn't even occurred to me to forward. (Sprint charges for forwarding [or at least they did when I started my service - no idea if they still do] so I never used that service).

Has anyone, after activating the iphone with a new number, managed to transfer an existing number to the iphone? I'm wondering how befuddled at&t's customer service is right now.
    You're not home yet? What the hell are you waiting for???
    07-09-2007 06:05 PM
    It's only 3pm in CA right now - he has to work hard to buy two iPhones!
    Cut him some slack ;-)
    07-09-2007 06:07 PM
    I think my expectations are higher than what I'll find (for example: my house is probably in a signal blackhole), so I'm feeling okay with deferred gratification for the moment.
    07-09-2007 06:10 PM
    Well, we're waiting. House your home reception? Enjoying the videos? I love it. Got an oil change today and sat in air conditioning watching The Matrix Reloaded--scene where Neo fights the 6 guys after Morpheous and Trinity grab the Key Maker and run. I never enjoyed waiting for an oil change before.....

But enough about me; how's your iPhone experience so far?
    07-09-2007 10:23 PM
    Well, i've got them mostly set up now.

Negatives:

- family plan is confusing to set up. Wasn't clear if i could sync them both to same PC, or to different, or whether I needed to select family plan for the second phone or "add a phone to existing account."

The right answer might not have mattered, since my randomly informed choices seemed to work.

Positives:

-despite what someone else had said, there seems to be no problem syncing one phone to multiple computers or multiple phones to one computer, or a combo.

In my case I have both syncing to one computer for music (each picking a different playlist) and each syncs to a different computer (not the first one) for contacts, calendar, and outlook data.

Not yet tried:

- video
    - youtube
    - email

I kind of dread getting the email set up.
    07-09-2007 10:24 PM
    You should be able to import ALL of your email if you have it set up. Oh, wait, maybe it was effortless because it was from my Mac? Well, let us know. I didn't have to do one thing at all. Just click the email in iTunes.
    07-09-2007 10:28 PM
    that is correct....click the info/email tab in iTunes and you should be all set. you can always add your own email accounts on the handheld as well.
    07-09-2007 10:53 PM
    Email was ridiculously easy, although my Accts are gmail, yahoo, and aol.

And there are some wifi issues with WEP encryption with certain routers. Had to shut mine off. Just FYI in case you run into a problem.
    07-09-2007 11:00 PM
    that is correct....click the info/email tab in iTunes and you should be all set. you can always add your own email accounts on the handheld as well.
    Doing the "sync email account from outlook" didn't work. I deleted the accounts and hand entered them. Note, too, that I was using sprint's smtp server on my old phone, so I had to jiggle that around.

I am using my own imap server (running on a machine in my house). "Verifying IMAP account information" takes a very very long time. It finally worked for the first account (and i was able to send and receive mail) but it is still churning on the second account.
    07-09-2007 11:00 PM
    Ran into my first problem; it got stuck in a "checking for mail" loop and never found any (despite the fact that two new messages had arrived on the server.)

This is with imap and wi-fi.

I rebooted, and it recovered.

On the positive side, I am typing MUCH faster now, with two thumbs. Except in urls, where the auto-correction is worthless.

I do wish that instead of offering just one auto-correct choice it would offer several (it could assume it's first choice on spacebar).

Web browsing is amazing. And I'm happy to say that the ajax site I did myself worked perfectly :-) (I'd share, but my home server has no upload bandwidth and it couldn't take the load). So developing webapps for this thing isn't too hard.

Email is also great - in-line html and pictures, and pdf viewing is great (please apple, please let us rotate)

At home I typically get 4 bars of signal, though it sometimes drops to 0 for a few seconds for no apparent reason.

So far i've only been on wi-fi. Today I'll test edge (at least until i remember the wep password for my network at work :-)
    07-10-2007 09:48 AM
    Now I am noticing duplicate emails. It seems to have something to do with the way "delete" interacts with imap.

When I get home I'll check my imap server logs and see what the phone is trying to do. Seems that the imap support is clearly not up to chatter standards :-)
    07-10-2007 11:33 AM
    In my office, edge is noticeably faster than my treo 650 running on Sprint. dslreports reports 80-150 kbit/sec, averaging around 140 kbit/sec.

And, maybe ars technica is right and they're going to turn on that 3G chip :-)
    07-10-2007 11:53 AM
    I was able to log into an OWA exchange site and read mail. It doesn't render perfectly, but it renders as well as it does on firefox.

Gmail also looks nice (the website). But it doesn't offer chat. Probably no reason it can't; I think the methods used by the gmail chat widget are compatible with this browser.

Google calendar seems to load as a iphone-optimized page.

My bank website (wells fargo) loads ok. (I remember when firefox became popular it took the bank months to enable access from it :-)

A note on stability: I haven't noticed any crashes, but I think safari may have crashed a couple of times in the background, as when I went to sync i was asked if i wanted to send the logs.
    07-10-2007 02:09 PM
    In the advanced tab of the mail settings, did you tell it what to do with deleted emails? With AOL I do not have any duplicate issues. I had a duplicate issue once when I moved a mail from SPAM to INBOX. But it was my error, due to inexperience with the phone. The message stayed in my spam box for a few minutes, but moved to the inbox immediately on the server. I didn't know and moved it again, so I had the same message twice in my inbox.
    07-10-2007 02:29 PM
    Yeah, i told it to delete after a day.
    07-10-2007 02:45 PM
    I haven't had any problems so far with duplicate imap emails. I use imap with .mac and with a server at home running Mac OS X Server. Maybe it's something that can be resolved with the settings? I've used the email on both EDGE and wifi.
    07-10-2007 02:53 PM
    Could be a problem with my server. Anyway, I'll investigate tonight. It might have been a situation where the mail app actually crashed and I didn't notice, also. But whatever it is, I haven't seen any new duplicates since this morning.

Just got back from McDonalds, where I was able to use the wi-fi (thanks to at&t's new policy of giving free hotspot access to its dsl subscribers). Sweet :-)

And now, a word on the "it is too hard to delete email" comments... Yeah, it's a bit too hard. On chatter I press "d" repeatedly. I wouldn't mind the way iphone does it except that many times I swipe my finger too far and it loads the message instead of giving me the delete button. It would be nice if there was a "tap and hold" to bring up options like "delete," "reply," "reply-all," "forward" etc. without loading the message (and it's easier to tap-and-hold than it is to swipe, imho.)
    07-10-2007 03:24 PM
    To follow up my last point: why does SMS have that nifty "edit" button on the left that lets me easily go and delete a bunch of junk, but email puts it on the right? Inconsistent user interfaces drive me nutty.
    07-10-2007 03:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD