It would make the difference for me. I have almost (except for smartphonenotes) abandoned any kind of wired sync in favor of OTA on my Blackjack WM5 device. In fact, when my latest notebook took a dive, OTA helped immensely to keep up to date as long as the server was up. It also gives you To Do support (don't know why M$oft refuses to add Notes support to OTA).

Deliver this, and even the absence of Office doc editing won't keep many "business" users from joining the iPhone experience.
    07-06-2007 09:28 AM
    i'd have to agree. not having it is keeping the iPhone from becoming a business tool given my needs (heavy, heavy email communication). i would also need to have the ability to include inbox subfolders as the abundance of mail would cause an incredible amount of clutter to sift through. along with that, i would have to be able to delete more than one email at a time!

regards
    07-06-2007 12:31 PM
    It's so strange given that Mossberg was "speculating" there would be a licensing announcement for Exchange Activesync from Apple in time for the release last Friday. Maybe Apple is going to adopt the M$ approach of servie packs so they're waiting for the SP1 release.
    07-06-2007 02:29 PM
    There were also those cryptic comments from Jobs about how they are "working with" corporations on the email thing, which most people interpreted as some sort of exchange beta testing.

I suspect that Apple figured they could sell every iphone they make at full price in the early days to consumers, and that the corporate sector, which is always risk-averse in any case, would come later. When the initial clamor for the phone dies away a little bit, I'm guessing Apple will be motivated to make things more corporation-friendly.
    07-06-2007 03:11 PM
    Is this what you're talking about? It comes from the blog of a guy who seems to know what he's talking about:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/mithund/archiv...he-iphone.aspx
    "Apple is licensing Exchange ActiveSync licensing protocol for the iPhone."
    07-06-2007 03:42 PM
    Before enabling full Exchange support Apple will first have to update the iPhone's PIM support. Currently the calendar, email, tasks, and notes functionality is not inline with what Exchange requires, and Tasks is not even present.

Also, most corporations are not willing to support the iPhone anyway due to "security concerns". Translation - Corp IT can't manage policy on the iPhone so they will not support it. The reason corp IT is willing to use BlackBerry and Windows Mobile devices is they can remotely manage security policy.

But then this is just another example of a "feature phone" vs a "smart phone".

The iPhone may be a great "feature phone," but it cannot be called a "smart phone"
    07-09-2007 02:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD