iPhone battery replacement $85.00

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I don't know if my hands are the same size as the guy in the photos, but I'd estimate that the iphone battery has around 150% of the volume of my treo battery, which would put it at over 5000mAH.
What Treo battery do you have?! My 650 had an 1800 mAh battery. 1.5 x 1800 = 2700 mAh, which I would say is about right if the technologies are the same or similar.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
What Treo battery do you have?! My 650 had an 1800 mAh battery. 1.5 x 1800 = 2700 mAh, which I would say is about right if the technologies are the same or similar.

I bought an extended battery years ago. 3200 mAh. With that extended battery, and with chatter set to read two imap mailboxes (using idle push), I get about 24 hours per charge.

Now, w/o chatter my treo battery lasted much longer, but to compare apples-to-apples you need to assume that iphone mail uses about the same power as chatter (possibly more since it polls and chatter had some nice power-saving lazy-sync functions and could be set to load only small parts of the message unless you asked for more.).

...if the technologies are the same...

The iphone screen+light/proximity sensors will also doubtless take up more power than the treo touchscreen.

The processor, itself, runs at around double the speed, so, all else being equal, that's double the power. (see above thread).

The flash RAM is much bigger, and will likely consume more power in use. (I wonder if the OS pages to the flash?)

In any even, I think it's safe to say that the battery is at least 3000mAH. Personally, I think it's in the high 4000mAH range, but I wouldn't put a lot of money on it until we learn more about the circuitry.

Archie was missing a 0.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
When I said "if the technologies are the same or similar" I just meant battery technologies. Sorry for not making that clearer. I was estimating capacity based on physical size (and assuming a similar charge density to that of batteries from similar devices). It was just a quick estimate by eye though so it's likely to be pretty inaccurate. That said, I do think 'high 4000mAH range' seems like something of an overestimate. The battery in my MacBook is 'only' 5200 mAh.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Remember that your macbook battery is mostly casing, however. And, I assume, it is Li-ion, not li-poly.

I guess someday we'll find out.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Here's what Apple is saying about what a charge cycle is, and what happens after 300-400 of them:

Apple estimates that the iPhone will lose 20 percent of its capacity — a darn sight less than 100 percent — “after 400 full charge and discharge cycles.”

“Sadly, there are some inaccurate reports out there,” Apple marketing vice president Greg Joswiak told me today during a brief phone call from New York City. Joswiak isn’t quite sure where the story went off the rails — David Pogue’s initial New York Times review of the iPhone mentioned the battery issue, but Pogue got it right: “Apple says that the battery starts to lose capacity after 300 or 400 charges.”

Somehow, though, things got lost in translation. And follow-on reports started claiming that 300 to 400 charges would be the end of the line.

“After 400 complete cycles, the iPhone’s battery still has 80 percent of its charged capacity,” Joswiak said. “And by a complete charge cycle, I mean completely draining the battery, a full chemical cycle.” In other words, using a little battery and then putting your iPhone back in its dock doesn’t count as a charge cycle. If you use a quarter of your iPhone’s battery and then re-charge it, Joswiak said, that’s the equivalent of a quarter of a charge cycle.

“If you top it off, you’re not wasting a charge cycle,” Joswiak said.[\QUOTE]

Source: http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2007/07/iphonebattery/index.php

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Here's what Apple is saying about what a charge cycle is, and what happens after 300-400 of them:

Apple estimates that the iPhone will lose 20 percent of its capacity — a darn sight less than 100 percent — “after 400 full charge and discharge cycles.”

“Sadly, there are some inaccurate reports out there,” Apple marketing vice president Greg Joswiak told me today during a brief phone call from New York City. Joswiak isn’t quite sure where the story went off the rails — David Pogue’s initial New York Times review of the iPhone mentioned the battery issue, but Pogue got it right: “Apple says that the battery starts to lose capacity after 300 or 400 charges.”

Somehow, though, things got lost in translation. And follow-on reports started claiming that 300 to 400 charges would be the end of the line.

“After 400 complete cycles, the iPhone’s battery still has 80 percent of its charged capacity,” Joswiak said. “And by a complete charge cycle, I mean completely draining the battery, a full chemical cycle.” In other words, using a little battery and then putting your iPhone back in its dock doesn’t count as a charge cycle. If you use a quarter of your iPhone’s battery and then re-charge it, Joswiak said, that’s the equivalent of a quarter of a charge cycle.

“If you top it off, you’re not wasting a charge cycle,” Joswiak said.[\QUOTE]

Source: http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2007/07/iphonebattery/index.php

This is consistent with their web site, as you previously posted, no?

It's easy how it got lost in the translation - the media got involved.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Yep, consistent with the website. Just stated in a way that is particularly clear. The bit that I don't recall being on the website is that they are saying after 300-400 cycles you only lose 20%. That number was never clear to me.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2