The second alert is nice, but i do miss the repeated alerts and having a list of alerts that have passed. I'm quickly learning to just look at my calendar for that purpose though.
    Yeah, I do that too. It's fun to use the time dials when setting an event :o

I also leave the volume up pretty high so I hear the alert the first or second time. If there is something I MUST absolutely do, I set my alarm
    07-08-2007 07:53 AM
    Nope, no external LEDs for any use.

I guess there's no external LED or anything to indicate that an alert has happened? I'll miss butler.
    07-08-2007 11:54 PM
    That sucks. Personally, my treo is always silenced, and I rely on the led to tell me i have email or a voicemail.
    07-08-2007 11:56 PM
    I'm shocked at the number of people who actually use that LED, most treo owners i know got software to just turn the thing off. Thats what i did.
    07-09-2007 08:15 AM

It syncs all the iCals with no problem. You choose which iCal category you want the iPhone events to go into as a setting.
    What are the steps for getting this done? The sales dude at my local Apple Store couldn't figure it out...

I'm hoping that this can be done, because the main sticking points for me, (other than the fact that I'm still in contract w/ Sprint) are this and the lack of matching features in the Contacts app on this and Address Book in OS X.
    07-09-2007 09:50 AM
    Connect the iPhone to your Mac. Open iTunes, click on the iPhone icon, then on the info tab. In there are the options for synching the calendar, contacts, and bookmarks. It's very very simple to setup, I can't believe anyone at an Apple store couldn't figure this out.

What are the steps for getting this done? The sales dude at my local Apple Store couldn't figure it out...

I'm hoping that this can be done, because the main sticking points for me, (other than the fact that I'm still in contract w/ Sprint) are this and the lack of matching features in the Contacts app on this and Address Book in OS X.
    07-09-2007 10:16 AM
    I'm shocked at the number of people who actually use that LED, most treo owners i know got software to just turn the thing off. Thats what i did.
    I use butler to actually make it useful. The light is always off. If I have an email, chatter flashes it green. If I have voicemail, butler makes it steady orange.

Out-of-the-box, the "flash green when i have a signal" behavior is pretty pointless, to me.
    07-09-2007 10:31 AM
    Connect the iPhone to your Mac. Open iTunes, click on the iPhone icon, then on the info tab. In there are the options for synching the calendar, contacts, and bookmarks. It's very very simple to setup, I can't believe anyone at an Apple store couldn't figure this out.
    Since it's as simple as that, I'm amazed also!

He was looking only at the phone, not at iTunes prefs, and nobody at the store seemed to think that one could have the iPhone display categories for iCal events on the phone. Strange. I'll go back one day this week and ask about it...
    07-09-2007 10:40 AM
    I use butler to actually make it useful. The light is always off. If I have an email, chatter flashes it green. If I have voicemail, butler makes it steady orange.

Out-of-the-box, the "flash green when i have a signal" behavior is pretty pointless, to me.
    I did the same thing with Chatter. The only good use for the light.
    07-09-2007 10:47 PM
    on this note, yes, it allows a sync into iCal, but only one category can be chosen being that the iPhone doesn't offer categories at this time; so if you choose, say a work category as your sole default one, but you added a dentist appointment into the iPhone, well, you will still have to manually move that appointment to the proper category on the desktop. I imagine this will be revised in a software update. I can live with it for now.
    07-10-2007 12:12 AM
    I just noticed that all my appointments are off by several hours (syncing with outlook).

I'm guessing it's a timezone problem. Checking it out now.
    07-10-2007 12:45 AM
    yep. had to go in to the settings and set my timezone.
    07-10-2007 12:52 AM
    Yes, only one category is chosen for adding new appointments on the iPhone, but you can synch any or all categories.

After you sync, you can open iCal and change the new appointment to the category you want. If does seem like a silly restriction, but I've noticed that all devices that sync on a mac even with third-party software like missing sync for Palm and Windows Mobile do this. Maybe it's a limitation in the sync services used.

Fixing this and showing category colors on the iPhone like iCal are my top wants for the calendar app. But as it, it still works better for me than other devices syncing to a Mac.

on this note, yes, it allows a sync into iCal, but only one category can be chosen being that the iPhone doesn't offer categories at this time; so if you choose, say a work category as your sole default one, but you added a dentist appointment into the iPhone, well, you will still have to manually move that appointment to the proper category on the desktop. I imagine this will be revised in a software update. I can live with it for now.
    07-10-2007 03:00 PM
    So even Missing Sync doesn't take care of the category issue on the other platforms?I had thought it did, and had considered getting it but never did.I synced my Treo to the Mac and just manually changed the events to whatever category was appropriate, so this is nothing I haven't been doing anyway. I guess just the fact that the iPhone is well, an Apple device, I figured it would sync with the Mac by nature. (how silly of me )
    But again, not the end of the world.
    07-10-2007 04:33 PM
    Missing sync does allow you to view multiple categories in a calendar and even to see which event goes to which category. But you still assign a default calendar that any new event on the device gets put into when you sync. Happens on both Palm and Window Mobile versions. Even the iSync conduit Apple supplied for Palm Desktop did this. That what makes me think it's some sort of sync services issue. It would be really good if they fixed this, but it's not too bad to deal with. I just know that when I open iCal to look at any items in my "iPhone" calendar and reassign them.

So even Missing Sync doesn't take care of the category issue on the other platforms?I had thought it did, and had considered getting it but never did.I synced my Treo to the Mac and just manually changed the events to whatever category was appropriate, so this is nothing I haven't been doing anyway. I guess just the fact that the iPhone is well, an Apple device, I figured it would sync with the Mac by nature. (how silly of me )
    But again, not the end of the world.
    07-10-2007 05:52 PM
    Sounds pretty limited Sure would be nice to have Agendus on the iPhone (without the crashes of course).
    So that's what you really wanted to say, isn't it? Why didn't you just start the thread with that comment?

By the way, the only thing that "crashes" on me is Safari - and it certainly doesn't happen nearly as often as other phones. I'm not sticking up for the fact that it happens like 3 times a week, shuld be more stable than that, but it does certainly do it gracefully. In fact, upon returning to Safari, that last page I was visiting shows back up when returning to the app.

I've used Agendus (paid for versions 6, 7, and 8), I much prefer iCal on the iPhone - even with the restriction of not having a to-do list (damnit Apple, give me to-dos).
    07-10-2007 06:32 PM
    Yeah, I'm used to Agendus logging when I've called a contact, associating contacts to meetings, daily journal, actually most of the functionality gets used. If Apple ever opens up to 3rd party apps I'll definitely get an iPhone because I know the apps would come. I have more faith that Apple will fix what is 'wrong' (from my perspective of course) with the iPhone than Palm will fix what is wrong with the Treo.
    Forgive me for questioning this last statement, but how can you say that? Two weeks ago you were all over my case about trusting Apple and the company's dedication to its product.
    07-10-2007 06:43 PM
    MacUser, thanks for the nice response. One of his questions you didn't touch on was notes - can you assign notes to a calendar event? (It almost seems silly to ask, but better to know for sure)
    Calendar events do have a notes field.
    07-10-2007 06:47 PM
    That's not entirely true. You can set TWO reminders for the same event so you do get two notifications--Alert & Second Alert. True, it would be nice to have a snooze feature like they have on the Alarm Clock app.
    Yes, this is true.
    07-10-2007 06:48 PM
    I guess there's no external LED or anything to indicate that an alert has happened? I'll miss butler.
    Nope. No tiny little LED to indicate an alert just a huge 3.5 color screen.
    07-10-2007 06:49 PM
    It syncs all the iCals with no problem. You choose which iCal category you want the iPhone events to go into as a setting.
    What are the steps for getting this done?
    Step 1.) place in dock.

The End.
    07-10-2007 06:53 PM
    Nope. No tiny little LED to indicate an alert just a huge 3.5 color screen.
    but, sadly, i have to press a button and swipe a finger to see if I have anything new. From a user-interface perspective, the LED was a lot more useful. If you're in a meeting and your iphone buzzes, you have no idea why. Turning the phone on to see why is considered rude in many circumstances. When my treo gets an incoming sms, email, or voicemail, i can tell why by the color. (I keep my phones on vibrate).
    07-10-2007 07:02 PM
    but, sadly, i have to press a button and swipe a finger to see if I have anything new. From a user-interface perspective, the LED was a lot more useful. If you're in a meeting and your iphone buzzes, you have no idea why. Turning the phone on to see why is considered rude in many circumstances. When my treo gets an incoming sms, email, or voicemail, i can tell why by the color. (I keep my phones on vibrate).
    If its an SMS the message is displayed on the screen along with the alert/buzz sound. If it's an email, you get the alert as well, just like voicemail and calls and calendar alerts and alarms... you can set different sounds to each.

Now of course this doesn't help if its set to vibrate, but the screen does come on and let you see the SMS message, or see who is calling (and you can choose to ignore and shut ringer/buzzer off or send directly to voicemail), or whatever.

If you completely miss it (say you leave the room and its on vibrate) and the screen shuts off before returning, then yuo won't know anything happened. But this is a rarity because I find myself wanting to use the iPhone all the time so anything I may have missed will probably be noticed right away.
    07-10-2007 07:17 PM
    "If you completely miss it (say you leave the room and its on vibrate) and the screen shuts off before returning, then yuo won't know anything happened. But this is a rarity because I find myself wanting to use the iPhone all the time so anything I may have missed will probably be noticed right away."

Your first sentence has "you" and your second has "I."

Well, it's not a rarity for me. I can't be sitting around fondling my phone while sitting in a meeting. I feel a buzz, I pull it out of my pocket at a time when I can do so inconspicuously, and I want to see what I missed. That's one of the great things about an external LED or OLED display. Having to turn on the screen, besides being rude, is more effort then seeing what color a light is.

Mind you, I love the phone, but I'm not going to defend some of its omissions. Another helpful thing would be a summary screen, like a 'today' screen, that just shows all the events in one place.
    07-10-2007 07:26 PM
    "If you completely miss it (say you leave the room and its on vibrate) and the screen shuts off before returning, then yuo won't know anything happened. But this is a rarity because I find myself wanting to use the iPhone all the time so anything I may have missed will probably be noticed right away."

Your first sentence has "you" and your second has "I."

Well, it's not a rarity for me. I can't be sitting around fondling my phone while sitting in a meeting. I feel a buzz, I pull it out of my pocket at a time when I can do so inconspicuously, and I want to see what I missed. That's one of the great things about an external LED or OLED display. Having to turn on the screen, besides being rude, is more effort then seeing what color a light is.

Mind you, I love the phone, but I'm not going to defend some of its omissions. Another helpful thing would be a summary screen, like a 'today' screen, that just shows all the events in one place.
    ???
    After you unlock it, you are taken to the summary screen. The active SMS icon shows you how many new SMS messages you have to look at, the Phone icon shows you how many new voicemails you have, the email app shows you how many new emails you have, heck the calendar icon even shows you the correct date. I personally thought this was one of the cooler features of the iPhone. All the new stuff is displayed in one location.

As far as turning on the screen for incoming messages, this is not neccessary as the iPhone displays these new events without you needing to turn the screen on.
    07-10-2007 07:48 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD