Biggest iPhone disappointment

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
The one, by far biggest disappointment for me is no 3rd party apps. This is the real biggie because it limits the platform and what can be done. I'd love to see all kinds of applications for the device and with the same freedom to the platform that Palm gives. I want my Palmary Clock-type, selected from several attempts to make the best one, just like I have on the Palm. I want a music-creation app like Bhajis Loops (Hey Apple, how about an iPhone Garageband? iMovie to Go. A photo-manipulation app (doesn't need to be Photophop but something.

I want to see a successor to the Palm platform in the iPhone as a Mac in the palm of my hand, not just an iPod. We can only imagine what great applications could be made available. While the next iPhone may address the video recording, the on board memory, and other smaller things, this was a decision that is probably not going to change with at least the first couple of revision at least. Maybe an online petition could be done to ask for the phone to be opened for full development.

I'll give them a year, and see what Palm's Linux OS'ed devices have to offer. Who knows what else could be developed in the next year or so, which will be the minimum time I'd spend before buying into a new platform anyway.

C'mon Apple, make a true revolution in the market happen.

JustLeft

Sep 11, 2004
Visit site
If you want 3rd party apps, the iPhone isn't for you - at least not yet. On a bright note - you will never have to take the back cover off to do a reset. Day 2 and counting and no resets!

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Yeah but the promise of OS X on a mobile device is pretty neutered with no 3rd party apps. I don't buy the security concerns as the reason. I'm pretty sure Apple and AT&T want to control the system so they alone will profit. Why use AT&T's messaging when everyone could just use chat over the data connection? So they don't have a chat app. No chat=no competition. Sucks for us though. If they don't figure out how to profit exclusively, don't allow the functionality. Bluetooth stereo is another good example. They likely didn't have their own stereo gear to sell yet, so they are keeping the functionality out of the platform. I'd bet they'll announce some proprietary audio gear soon and didn't want to walk into a saturated market with users already happy with something that was likely also cheaper. I bet Apple looks at all the accessories for the iPod and wish they had gotten more control and profit there.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
They could solve this to some degree by offering their own developed apps in a timely manner. For free or low cost at least. Mobile iChat would be a good place to start. Wishful thinking for now, I know. But I do wonder what people think about no IM when it's usually standard.

Fafafoooey

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Think of it this way: Palm gives you a lot of options with applications, even some of them are built into the ROM, but you pay a price, an unstable device, even factory fresh.

Apple closes the 3rd party applications, other than web 2.0 Safari apps, and you get a rock solid stable device that will work, and just work.

I personally would rather have a device that works than a device that allows all these apps, but becomes a reset happy POS in the process.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Think of it this way: Palm gives you a lot of options with applications, even some of them are built into the ROM, but you pay a price, an unstable device, even factory fresh.

Apple closes the 3rd party applications, other than web 2.0 Safari apps, and you get a rock solid stable device that will work, and just work.
I personally would rather have a device that works than a device that allows all these apps, but becomes a reset happy POS in the process.

I try not to post in the iPhone forums, but this part is just a pure lie. The iPhone is unstable out of the box. See my mega-thread.

Surur

Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
Stable?

Given that the iPhone has been on the market a total of 2 days we don't really know if it is stable or not. My guess is that it will be more stable than most as there are no 3rd part apps to muck up the works.

For me there were/are several things that keep me from jumping on the iPhone and a few are complete deal breakers (in my order of importance)

1. No modem/wireless modem support
2. No removable battery
3. No 3rd party apps
4. Bluetooth only works with earphone devices (no hands-free options)
5. No file browsing system

Many, if not all of these will likely be addressed in the future but #'s 1 and 2 are absolutely critical for the way I use my phone. Given that Apple estimates that the battery has 300-400 recharge cycles a heavy user will have to replace the battery (by sending it to Apple or disassembling the thing) in 12-18 months.

ohbw

Feb 5, 2005
Visit site
I'm amazed by people, as always.

It's only been out of the box for 36 hours, but it's clearly a better device. (I'm speaking as the owner of four Treos over about 7 years, by the way). It's not going to do every single thing that every single human cell phone user wants! Someone wants to create music and manipulate images on his iPhone. Huh?! I have an entire music studio and Photoshop in my Macbook Pro, which is exactly where I want them. I also don't care about IM, but I'm not 16 and don't communicate in 7 word sentences.

It cracks me up that people object to Apple not ripping open the platform for any crack-headed 20 year old game developer to go inserting code into. Do people understand why Audi or Porsche or GM void your warranty if you chip one of their cars? Because it's a complex system! Which they designed from the ground up! And your ideas about valve timing might not be very intelligent! Why should they warranty anyone else's crazy (or half-crazy, or even great) ideas about how to manage their engine? They shouldn't, is the answer. That would be idiotic.

It's doubly amusing when you consider how regular Microsoft is sued or cracked on by a government for writing code that disables other companies' programs (you don't have to look very far back in your stack of newspapers to read about the latest instance with Google).

I've got 4G of music on a phone, 1.5G of photos, almost another G of videos. I've got my calendar, email, contacts, and notes, just as I did on my Treos. It all works great. My @emailtreo account is pushing perfectly to my iPhone. It's beautiful. It's sleek. It's built really tough. I didn't have to buy 8 programs for my computer and my handheld to resize videos and play them on the handheld, or to do anything else.

Is there anything less than perfect about it? Sure. If I'm answering someone's email and I decide I want to attach a photo to my reply, I can't do that. To email a photo, I have to initiate it as a new email from the photo corner of my iPhone. That's dumb. I can't believe they let something as fundamental as that get all the way to market.

But you know what? They'll fix that. They'll fix everything, in time, except maybe putting Photoshop and Digital Performer into your front pocket on a 3.5" screen. And they'll let qualified developers develop apps.

When something goes wrong on my Treo, I have a dozen different people I could call, and every single one of them says, "That's not our problem, call Palm/Kinoma/YourMama!" If my iPhone coughs (and it will, and I expect that, given the enormous power of the thing in such a small package), I have one number to call. And I anticipate that I'll get what I've gotten in many years of Mac ownership: quick, competent customer service.

I'm a big picture guy. As I said, the iPhone can't be everything to every person. But is it a fundamentally better device? More pleasing to use? Better designed as a SYSTEM, rather than a patched together jambalaya of programs? Very definitely.

I loved my Treos for what they were -- imperfect, but better than anything else around. And I'm pretty sure I'll be loving my iPhone the same way -- as an imperfect device, for me, today, for my hodge-podge of uses, professional and personal, but better than anything else around. Including Treos. If not, I'll certainly be back to report in.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm re-writting your post to make it more consistent with reality.

It's only been out of the box for 36 hours, but I think its a better device. (I'm speaking as the owner of four Treos over about 7 years, by the way). It's does very little that every single human cell phone user wants! Someone wants to create music and manipulate images on his iPhone. Huh?! I have an entire music studio and Photoshop in my Macbook Pro, which is exactly where I want them. I also don't care about IM, but I'm not 16 and don't communicate in 7 word sentences.

It cracks me up that people object to Apple not ripping open the platform for any crack-headed 20 year old game developer to go inserting code into. Do people understand why Audi or Porsche or GM void your warranty if you chip one of their cars? Because it's a complex system! Which they designed from the ground up! And your ideas about valve timing might not be very intelligent! Why should they warranty anyone else's crazy (or half-crazy, or even great) ideas about how to manage their engine? They shouldn't, is the answer. That would be idiotic. In other words the iPhone is terribly fragile, no-one but Apple can enter the inner sanctum without breaking it.

It's doubly amusing when you consider how regular Microsoft is sued or cracked on by a government for writing code that disables other companies' programs (you don't have to look very far back in your stack of newspapers to read about the latest instance with Google). Yes, Microsoft is just waiting to break the iPhone. I know this.

I've got 4G of music on a phone, 1.5G of photos, almost another G of videos. I've got my calendar, email, contacts, and notes, just as I did on my Treos. It all works great. My @emailtreo account is pushing perfectly to my iPhone. It's beautiful. It's sleek. It's built really tough. I didn't have to buy 8 programs for my computer and my handheld to resize videos and play them on the handheld, or to do anything else, because I plan on doing very little.

Here's just one thing that's crap about it. Sure. If I'm answering someone's email and I decide I want to attach a photo to my reply, I can't do that. To email a photo, I have to initiate it as a new email from the photo corner of my iPhone. That's dumb. I can't believe they let something as fundamental as that get all the way to market.

But you know what? I hope they'll fix that. They may fix everything, in time, except for the removable battery and lack of 3G, and except maybe putting Photoshop and Digital Performer into your front pocket on a 3.5" screen. And they'll let qualified developers develop apps which hopefully wont crash as much as Safari and Google maps are crashing now.

When something goes wrong on my Treo, I have a dozen different people I could call, and every single one of them says, "That's not our problem, call Palm/Kinoma/YourMama!" If my iPhone coughs (and it will, and I expect that, given the enormous power of the thing in such a small package), I have one number to call. And I anticipate that I'll get what I've gotten in many years of Mac ownership: quick, competent customer service. I just hope my service is better than all those people who are waiting for 24 hours with activation problems.

I'm a big picture guy. As I said, the iPhone can't be everything to every person. But is it a fundamentally better device? No. More pleasing to use? Better designed as a SYSTEM, rather than a patched together jambalaya of programs? Very definitely not.

I loved my Treos for what they were -- imperfect, but better than anything else around. And I'm pretty sure I'll be loving my iPhone the same way -- as an imperfect device, for me, today, for my hodge-podge of uses, professional and personal, but better than anything else around that I know about. Including Treos. If not, I'll certainly will be back.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Mine is stable too. :D

His isn't. Why dont you go tell him what he's doing wrong.

So after this long wait since December I am VERY Dissappointed in my Iphone Please help me out if you can !! First off my phone freezed up and had to be reset about 3 times already, second everytime I call someone or answer someones call my screen goes in and out as well as when checking a voicemail and you can not hear anything

Third I cant believe you can not save pictures from your attachments or from web pages its 2007 what was Jobs thinking.

And to put the icing on the cake is it me or can you not sms more than 1 number at a time , its bad enough no ringers but gossh give us a break I just hope some updates come in soon like yesterday soon!!!
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1191491

Surur

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
It's only been out of the box for 36 hours, but it's clearly a better device. (I'm speaking as the owner of four Treos over about 7 years, by the way). It's not going to do every single thing that every single human cell phone user wants! Someone wants to create music and manipulate images on his iPhone. Huh?! I have an entire music studio and Photoshop in my Macbook Pro, which is exactly where I want them. I also don't care about IM, but I'm not 16 and don't communicate in 7 word sentences.

It cracks me up that people object to Apple not ripping open the platform for any crack-headed 20 year old game developer to go inserting code into. Do people understand why Audi or Porsche or GM void your warranty if you chip one of their cars? Because it's a complex system! Which they designed from the ground up! And your ideas about valve timing might not be very intelligent! Why should they warranty anyone else's crazy (or half-crazy, or even great) ideas about how to manage their engine? They shouldn't, is the answer. That would be idiotic.

It's doubly amusing when you consider how regular Microsoft is sued or cracked on by a government for writing code that disables other companies' programs (you don't have to look very far back in your stack of newspapers to read about the latest instance with Google).

I've got 4G of music on a phone, 1.5G of photos, almost another G of videos. I've got my calendar, email, contacts, and notes, just as I did on my Treos. It all works great. My @emailtreo account is pushing perfectly to my iPhone. It's beautiful. It's sleek. It's built really tough. I didn't have to buy 8 programs for my computer and my handheld to resize videos and play them on the handheld, or to do anything else.

Is there anything less than perfect about it? Sure. If I'm answering someone's email and I decide I want to attach a photo to my reply, I can't do that. To email a photo, I have to initiate it as a new email from the photo corner of my iPhone. That's dumb. I can't believe they let something as fundamental as that get all the way to market.

But you know what? They'll fix that. They'll fix everything, in time, except maybe putting Photoshop and Digital Performer into your front pocket on a 3.5" screen. And they'll let qualified developers develop apps.

When something goes wrong on my Treo, I have a dozen different people I could call, and every single one of them says, "That's not our problem, call Palm/Kinoma/YourMama!" If my iPhone coughs (and it will, and I expect that, given the enormous power of the thing in such a small package), I have one number to call. And I anticipate that I'll get what I've gotten in many years of Mac ownership: quick, competent customer service.

I'm a big picture guy. As I said, the iPhone can't be everything to every person. But is it a fundamentally better device? More pleasing to use? Better designed as a SYSTEM, rather than a patched together jambalaya of programs? Very definitely.

I loved my Treos for what they were -- imperfect, but better than anything else around. And I'm pretty sure I'll be loving my iPhone the same way -- as an imperfect device, for me, today, for my hodge-podge of uses, professional and personal, but better than anything else around. Including Treos. If not, I'll certainly be back to report in.

Great post!

ohbw

Feb 5, 2005
Visit site
Surur, you're an infant. (and a Microsoft coder, I trust)

The louder you scream, the stupider you look, as always.

Let's do this: let's both deposit $100,000 in an escrow account with a legal agreement attached to it. I'll bet you that in five years, assuming the absence of a nuclear war or worldwide depression, Apple's stock will have increased 500% from where it is today -- as a direct result of massive cell phone sales and the attendant increase in sales of Macs and all other things Apple. If it is, I'll take the money. If it isn't, you take the money.

You can email me through this account if you'd like to take that bet. Otherwise, go pet your beloved donkey, which is undeniably a form of transportation. I'm going to go fly my jet helicopter now.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The louder you scream, the stupider you look, as always.

Let's do this: let's both deposit $100,000 in an escrow account with a legal agreement attached to it. I'll bet you that in five years, assuming the absence of a nuclear war or worldwide depression, Apple's stock will have increased 500% from where it is today -- as a direct result of massive cell phone sales and the attendant increase in sales of Macs and all other things Apple. If it is, I'll take the money. If it isn't, you take the money.

You can email me through this account if you'd like to take that bet. Otherwise, go pet your beloved donkey, which is undeniably a form of transportation. I'm going to go fly my jet helicopter now.

Why would I take a bet I would lose. Apple has bet on the stupidity of the public, and that is a bet no-one can ever lose.

Surur

ohbw

Feb 5, 2005
Visit site
Why would I take a bet I would lose. Apple has bet on the stupidity of the public, and that is a bet no-one can ever lose.

Surur

Right. And that's why people who really use computers hard and often and in complex ways -- designers and film people and musicians and photographers -- are Mac folks.

What's stupid is ignoring the facts, lad. Do you know how much Walt Mossberg is paid by the Wall Street Journal to review products like this for a very sophisticated audience? Do you know how much Pogue is paid by the NY Times? Levy by Newsweek, or Baig by USA Today? Are you actually so deluded that you believe that they're stupider than you are? That your need to wirelessly download a Britney video while IMing 37 friends at once is more significant than having a stable, user friendly, user accessible tool to do the things that MOST people do MOST of the time?

Of course you are. But other people reading your posts don't think, "Genius, by damn! Give me a donkey so I can be like Surur!" They think, "Gaseous nitwit, he belongs on a donkey."

Want an alternate bet? Palm in bankruptcy, acquired for its tax value as a massive loss, or non-existent in five years. Afraid of that one, too? How about relative market share of OSX and Windows in five years? Find one you like, and put your money where your mouth is.