Biggest iPhone disappointment

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
llarson said:
Your phone choice. But it might have been that many people posting here having made a choice not to buy an iPHONE have said things and insinuated that those who buy an iPHONE are iMORONS, TECH-iDIOTS or just sheep driven to by the latest hyped product.

I have stated many times the iPHONE has several faults and short comings. Most phones do. Palm users have many complaints as do WM users but I have yet to see the venom and mockery aimed at people in those forums for their choice of phone use.

Many people here have a lot of constructive things to add to a discussion on what Apple should do to make the iPHONE more useful for their needs. Many people still are pushing the iMORON argument I guess in hope of shaming people to return the phone or somehow convince themselves and others that they have a superior phone, Why that is important I couldn't tell you.

Many iPHONE users are what people call FanBoys/FanGirls.I myself like the term Mac-Evangelist! I bought it because it was an Apple product and because I feel it is a step in the direction I would like my cell phone to go. Easy to use and beautiful GUI with email, calendar and web browsing. All of which need tweaking to be better.

Luxury item-maybe...

Do other less expensive phones have some of the same features email, calendar, web browser-yes...

Do they do them in the same simple revolutionary manner iPHONE does-no...

I look forward to useful critiques on the iPHONE and less in your face you iMORON postings.
The iMoron term is yours not mine. The only thing I ever said against the iPhone is that it can't run 3rd party programs, making it not a smartphone, and that the only real "revolutionary" new features are the admittedly very well done User Interface. We've already stated that for some people, that UI is enough to justify a $500 premium over other phones with the same capabilities. For many of us, however, the lack of being able to install additional programs is a deal-killer.
Mac-Evangelist for life and proud of it!!
Recognizing the problem is the first step ;)
Okay, let me qualify that no one I know has gone from a Mac back to a PC. I guess we have different friends...I'll be sure to qualify my statements with my personal experience from now on. Thanks for the insight.
Thanks. I have no problem with you saying that after you switched you never looked back. There's a world of difference in those two statements and what they imply.

It's great that you can stream your music to your Treo. I, personally, am sick of having to treat a phone as if I were a beta-tester. I WASTED so much time and money on third party apps trying to get my Treo 650 working properly. I guess I am willing to pay more for a phone to do a few things very well as opposed to a cheaper phone that has issues. Sure, the iPhone has things it can improve on and most likely will. As a consumer, that is my choice and I've made it. So, let's just drop the "iMoron" crap and converse like civilized adults.

Again, I thought the conversation had been plenty civilized since a certain someone left and stopped comparing using anything besides an iPhone to having sex with goats. And yes, I'm just as upset as many of you about the shortcomings in Treos lately. I never said my Treo was a perfect device, but it does so much more than an iPhone that I'll keep using it in spite of its shortcomings because otherwise I'd need to carry around 2, 3, or 4 seperate devices to replace it. I couldn't say the same thing about the iPhone.

Hargoth

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
The iPhone fails its primary objective right out of the box.
No A2DP bluetooth profile.

Total red flag, stop the presses, get that junk outa here.

It doesn't mean a thing if the primary usage of the device is not even available.

All of the other shortcomings are just more nails in an already sealed cement coffin.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
The iPhone fails its primary objective right out of the box.
No A2DP bluetooth profile.

Total red flag, stop the presses, get that junk outa here.

It doesn't mean a thing if the primary usage of the device is not even available.

All of the other shortcomings are just more nails in an already sealed cement coffin.

Huh? How is that related to its "primary objective?" Ipods have no bluetooth at all and they are pretty darned good at what they do.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Huh? How is that related to its "primary objective?" Ipods have no bluetooth at all and they are pretty darned good at what they do.

Uh...double huh? They don't have bluetooth? Did I miss something?

His point was that it's an iPod-phone combo and the music playing part doesn't support playing stereo music to a stereo bluetooth headset.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I understand his point. It's an ipod-phone combo. And ipods are great at what they do and they don't support bluetooth (and hence no a2dp). And no one says "gee, ipods suck - they fail their primary objective because they don't support a2dp."

The primary objective of the iphone is to be a media-centric communicator, not to stream music via blue tooth to a car. That would be a fine feature, but to say it's the "primary objective" is disingenuous.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
This is a feature that does speak to the primary uses of the iPhone. A dual use BT headset is a 'killer app' kind of device for a music player and phone. I have to believe the hardware is capable and maybe they will release an update for this. People who defend the lack will miss it when everyone else has it, I'm sure. (Why would you defend it not having this feature? Just because last generation's iPods didn't have it? WTF kind of reasoning is that?)

It's just the future and should be on the first iPhone, which is supposed to be 5 years ahead, right?

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Man, you guys really just want to hate on this phone.

1) yeah, i'm sure it will be a software update in the future
2) the number of existing (as opposed to newly-on-sale) cars that support this feature is comparatively small. Heck, it's only been the last few years when cars have started to be sold with aux jacks as a regular feature.
3) many millions of people are perfectly happy with their ipods and other mp3 players which do not support this feature
4) i wasn't defending the lack of the feature - i was only saying that anyone who says the phone "fails at its primary objective" because of lack of this feature is full of it. The iphone is a perfectly fine audio player, and "audio player" is not even the "primary objective" of this phone.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Man, you guys really just want to hate on this phone.

1) yeah, i'm sure it will be a software update in the future
2) the number of existing (as opposed to newly-on-sale) cars that support this feature is comparatively small. Heck, it's only been the last few years when cars have started to be sold with aux jacks as a regular feature.
3) many millions of people are perfectly happy with their ipods and other mp3 players which do not support this feature
4) i wasn't defending the lack of the feature - i was only saying that anyone who says the phone "fails at its primary objective" because of lack of this feature is full of it. The iphone is a perfectly fine audio player, and "audio player" is not even the "primary objective" of this phone.

What 'hate'? All I'm saying is this is a feature it should have. That some people have an inability to both love the iPhones and be critical of the iPhone's shortcomings seems really strange to me. It almost seems like you are trying to be chaste to a cel phone. That's just weird.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Read my postings. I've criticized it plenty. No 3G sucks. No third party applications suck. Many useful features are missing. Many other things don't quite work as one would hope. I just am sick of rhetorical nonsense like "it doesn't have feature X therefore anyone who buys one is an uneducated person who only cares about fashion" or "it doesn't have feature X (which 1% of the population gives a heck about) therefore it sucks."

Also, this is an iphone website (phonedifferent), but at least half the people commenting have no iphone, have no interest in buying an iphone, never will buy an iphone, and have nothing better to do than post negatively about iphones.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
It's just the future and should be on the first iPhone, which is supposed to be 5 years ahead, right?

does it need to be on the phone or do you just think it should be on the phone?

the iPhone is selling without it.

on the other hand, those devices with it aren't selling as much as the iPhone right now, are they?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
does it need to be on the phone or do you just think it should be on the phone?
Can't you ask that about every feature on the iPhone? Safari? YouTube? CoverFlow?

Doesn't that make your question somewhat vacuous?
the iPhone is selling without it.
So...you're fine if Apple never updates the iPhone again then? If they never put A2DP in their deices?

Would this be your answer if you worked for the iPhone development team? "The iPhone is selling without it."

After all, it sold 750,000 devices, so therefore it must not need any updates, fixes or additional functionality. Numbers trump all debate.
on the other hand, those devices with it aren't selling as much as the iPhone right now, are they?
Once again, I guess numbers trump debate.

A 2.5 g device is outselling all 3g devices, so I guess we don't need 3g then either? I hope Apple is listening, they shouldn't bother with anything else since they are selling like hotcakes.

The point of the A2DP discussion is the following:

- if anyone could get A2DP right, it would probably be Apple (since they'll sell you a $200 headset too)
- if anyone could get A2DP mainstream, it'd be Apple with the popularity of the iPhone
- if you are buying a $600+ media device that already has BT, expecting A2DP is not far-fetched, especially since even cheap devices like the RAZR have it.

Finally, no one will deny how convenient streaming your iPod to wireless headphones would be. And you just know when Apple does release it, for the masses it'll be welcomed and hailed as a killer app on the device (heck, people will probably think they invented it).

And when it does come to the iPhone probably via an update, what will happen to the perceived strength of these arguments:

- But does the iPhone need it?
- Only 1% of the population use it
- No one knows what it is
- Many of million of iPod users are fine without it

They will disappear b/c they have no value and everyone will be loving streaming BT audio.

Is all of this an argument against the iPhone as a whole? No, not at all. But it is a criticism that is valid.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
For what little it's worth, i can honestly say that i would be happy without a2dp on the iphone. I appreciate that for others this is a much-desired feature.

In my case, I drive a $100k sports car with no support for it and I prefer my ultimateears in-ear earphones to any wireless headphones currently available, for sound quality.

Someday, when I get a new car, I suspect the technology will be more ubiquitous, and, when that day comes, I may look for a phone with that feature. But, frankly, unless the memory capacity on the phone also goes way up, i'll continue to use an 80GB ipod for my music in the car, since I prefer to have my entire music collection with me to be able to play any song on a whim, and the iphone's 8GB ain't gonna cut it. And, given that fact, I'd be just as, if not more, happy plugging into an aux jack, since i keep the ipod cradled for power, anyway.

I wonder for how many people who bought iphones, the iphone is their primary music player? I'm thinking i'll just keep 500-1000 of my favorite songs on it, a couple of movies at any time for when i'm stuck on a plane, and that's it.

Short of it is, in my case, I'd much rather have a 60GB iphone w/o A2DP than an 8GB w/ A2DP. It all comes down to how individuals fit these things into their routines.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Can't you ask that about every feature on the iPhone? Safari? YouTube? CoverFlow?

i was responding to a poster's concern that bluetooth/wireless/r2d2-c3p0 was somehow ommitted from the iPhone. the features that the device does come with seem to be sufficient for those buyers this go around.

So...you're fine if Apple never updates the iPhone again then? If they never put A2DP in their deices?

ABSOLUTELY! and it seems this way for anyone who bought this iteration of the device....now you might be understanding the point i'm trying to make. go to the other boards....do they have to have it today? no, most people seem quite content with the current version. will anyone discourage further advancement and implementation? of course not, it will be met with further cheer.

Would this be your answer if you worked for the iPhone development team? "The iPhone is selling without it."

i'd be happy with the success of the launch....perhaps their marketing studies didn't suggest that they had to do more at this point.

After all, it sold 750,000 devices, so therefore it must not need any updates, fixes or additional functionality. Numbers trump all debate.Once again, I guess numbers trump debate

yes, for me numbers are very telling.

Finally, no one will deny how convenient streaming your iPod to wireless headphones would be. And you just know when Apple does release it, for the masses it'll be welcomed and hailed as a killer app on the device (heck, people will probably think they invented it).

why does that bother so many people around here? who cares if the consumer thinks apple invented it. doesn't it only matter to you who really did? i personally like quality, wired, earpieces. i don't care that they're wired. but hey, that's just me. if they want to come out with the same quality earpieces that i currently use, great! but i don't require them to make a purchasing decision, today.

this is all so tiring. i like the iPhone and i like it a lot. OTHER PEOPLE like it a lot. having said that, it will not replace my day to day blackberry for business purposes at this juncture. phone, email, internet, music.....simple needs, simple device in a slim form factor very much unlike a Treo.

i like it and that's all i care about. why so much hate and argument over what it should have been and what it has to be is beyond me.

happy Fourth!

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
My Opinion ONLY

Read my postings. I've criticized it plenty. No 3G sucks. No third party applications suck. Many useful features are missing. Many other things don't quite work as one would hope. I just am sick of rhetorical nonsense like "it doesn't have feature X therefore anyone who buys one is an uneducated person who only cares about fashion" or "it doesn't have feature X (which 1% of the population gives a heck about) therefore it sucks."

Also, this is an iphone website (phonedifferent), but at least half the people commenting have no iphone, have no interest in buying an iphone, never will buy an iphone, and have nothing better to do than post negatively about iphones.

No third party apps I believe means a more stable OS. Install all the 3rd party apps on a 700P and watch that thing crash reset all day. Many post on the Treo boards on how people solved the reset issue....DON'T INSTALL 3rd PARTY APPS.

Not a problem for me as I bought the phone with the hope Apple will start to pump out widgets for it.

If they don't I might move on to a better phone when one comes out.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
Use Bose headset on the plane...

Doesn't that make your question somewhat vacuous?

After all, it sold 750,000 devices, so therefore it must not need any updates, fixes or additional functionality. Numbers trump all debate.

Once again, I guess numbers trump debate.

A 2.5 g device is outselling all 3g devices, so I guess we don't need 3g then either? I hope Apple is listening, they shouldn't bother with anything else since they are selling like hotcakes.

The point of the A2DP discussion is the following:

- if anyone could get A2DP right, it would probably be Apple (since they'll sell you a $200 headset too)
- if anyone could get A2DP mainstream, it'd be Apple with the popularity of the iPhone
- if you are buying a $600+ media device that already has BT, expecting A2DP is not far-fetched, especially since even cheap devices like the RAZR have it.

And when it does come to the iPhone probably via an update, what will happen to the perceived strength of these arguments:

- But does the iPhone need it?
- Only 1% of the population use it
- No one knows what it is
- Many of million of iPod users are fine without it

They will disappear b/c they have no value and everyone will be loving streaming BT audio.

Is all of this an argument against the iPhone as a whole? No, not at all. But it is a criticism that is valid.

I only listen to my iPOD now iPHONE on the plane for travel. When on the plane I have a set of very nice Bose noise reduction headphones. Any other time I listen to my music on the iPOD/iPHONE is in my car through my radio.

I know a lot of people listen to it on the way to work on the train or walking/running so I am sure they would love A2DP. How many bluetooth A2DP headsets are out on the market now anyways?

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
The last statement is a little slanted but we have all heard of th law suites and I wonder what would happen if Dell wanted to start selling Linux boxes on par with Windows?
Looks like nothing would happen. :rolleyes:
How many bluetooth A2DP headsets are out on the market now anyways?
Oh, a couple maybe :shake: (thanks to Ree Nigne):

1. Plantronics Pulsar 590A
2. Bluetake i-PHONO BT420EX
3. Logitech
4. Motorola HT820
5. Creative Labs CB2530
6. Iogear
7. naviPlay by +Ten
8. Bluetake BT450RX
9. SonyEricsson HBH-DS970
10. Jabra BT620
11. AirCable HiFi
12. iTech (S38, R35 and BluePro)
13. Sonorix
14. Globalsat BTH-820
15. Nokia HS-12W
16. Bluewalker BW-MP02
17. Motorola Talk & Tunes Calling Kit
18. Samsung SBH-100
19. Koss Cobalt
20. Sony DR-BT30Q

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Poorly-written third party apps are certainly a problem. But in palm's case, the apps crashed out of the box. I'll take chatter over versamail any day for stability (not to mention functionality!)

And there are a lot of really great bulletproof apps for palm - when was the last time bejeweled crashed on you? :)

Plus, third party apps takes the pressure off of apple to try to make the phone, out-of-the-box, please everyone. Those of us who want something like splashid to store our passwords can just add it. If someone wants to port tcmp over so we can watch a wider variety of movie formats, no problem. And if sling wants to provide a client, great.

As it is, we're currently stuck with whatever apple decides to spend their time on (and, presumably, third parties who are lucky enough to get in on the deal with apple).

In the end, though, I fully expect third party apps, even if it is not a palm-style widely distributed API. The revenue model for apple (allowing us to buy these apps in the itunes store, and cutting out handango and the like) is just too good for them.

No third party apps I believe means a more stable OS. Install all the 3rd party apps on a 700P and watch that thing crash reset all day. Many post on the Treo boards on how people solved the reset issue....DON'T INSTALL 3rd PARTY APPS.

Not a problem for me as I bought the phone with the hope Apple will start to pump out widgets for it.

If they don't I might move on to a better phone when one comes out.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
why so much hate and argument over what it should have been and what it has to be is beyond me.

happy Fourth!

1. The high price. SE's unlocked phones are the same price and offer the features Apple decided not to include for some reason. IM, MMS, 3G and A2DP are standard on the new hot SE phones. Also on some Nokias. Even the new Motos! And IM is now a standard even on crappy phones!

2. Jobs hailed it as something revolutionary. So some people expected a more complete phone. Some just don't care due to the cool screen, but others are looking beyond the pretty face.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73