Biggest iPhone disappointment

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Right. And that's why people who really use computers hard and often and in complex ways -- designers and film people and musicians and photographers -- are Mac folks.

What's stupid is ignoring the facts, lad. Do you know how much Walt Mossberg is paid by the Wall Street Journal to review products like this for a very sophisticated audience? Do you know how much Pogue is paid by the NY Times? Levy by Newsweek, or Baig by USA Today? Are you actually so deluded that you believe that they're stupider than you are? That your need to wirelessly download a Britney video while IMing 37 friends at once is more significant than having a stable, user friendly, user accessible tool to do the things that MOST people do MOST of the time?

Exaggerate much? How about telling this guy how smart Apple is.

Saving pics on iPhone with mail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If someone sends me a pic through email and I view it on the iPhone is there any way to add it to my photos library?

Thanks

umdjb
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by umdjb

Today, 10:23 AM #2
jpelario
macrumors newbie

Originally Posted by umdjb
If someone sends me a pic through email and I view it on the iPhone is there any way to add it to my photos library?

Thanks

I don't know, I have the same question... I tried but it doesn't seem possible... thoughts?

jpelario
View Public Profile
Visit jpelario's homepage!
Find More Posts by jpelario

Today, 11:18 AM #3
WillJS
macrumors regular

Well if you are checking your mail from an iPhone that means most lkey you are checking it on a computer too. In that case just when you go to sync it, just grab it from the mail on your computer and import into iphoto and sync iphoto with your iPhone. Sounds cumbersome but it really isn't.
30GB iPod Video 5.5G
iPhone 8GB

WillJS
View Public Profile
Visit WillJS's homepage!
Find More Posts by WillJS

Today, 11:22 AM #4
mrtune
macrumors newbie

Join Date: Jun 2007 I agree. The only way I have found to get pictures is syncing them through a pc. I haven't spotted any kind of save feature on the phone itself. It won't even let you move pictures around into different folders either.

mrtune
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by mrtune

Today, 11:32 AM #5
Dermot81
macrumors member

Join Date: Jun 2007 Hopefully someone comes up with an ajax solution to this. Maybe a web based file manager

ohbw said:
Of course you are. But other people reading your posts don't think, "Genius, by damn! Give me a donkey so I can be like Surur!" They think, "Gaseous nitwit, he belongs on a donkey."

Want an alternate bet? Palm in bankruptcy, acquired for its tax value as a massive loss, or non-existent in five years. Afraid of that one, too? How about relative market share of OSX and Windows in five years? Find one you like, and put your money where your mouth is.

You are getting quite worked up. Do you own stock in Apple or something?

Surur

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
I Love Surur

Exaggerate much? How about telling this guy how smart Apple is.

You are getting quite worked up. Do you own stock in Apple or something?

Surur

Surur will NEVER give up!

I am amazed at how he can stay on top of the forums and pull the worst of the worst out to push forward his ideas.

My hat is off to Surur he is a great Blogger for his CAUSE WM and all thing NOT iPHONE.

Viva Surur!!!

Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
For clarification, my desire for 3rd party apps has nothing to do with games, I have several key apps that I used on my Treo for years that have become indispensable. I think the iPone is a hell of a device, just not for me right now.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Surur....You've Been Called Out. Take the Bet!

The louder you scream, the stupider you look, as always.

Let's do this: let's both deposit $100,000 in an escrow account with a legal agreement attached to it. I'll bet you that in five years, assuming the absence of a nuclear war or worldwide depression, Apple's stock will have increased 500% from where it is today -- as a direct result of massive cell phone sales and the attendant increase in sales of Macs and all other things Apple. If it is, I'll take the money. If it isn't, you take the money.

You can email me through this account if you'd like to take that bet. Otherwise, go pet your beloved donkey, which is undeniably a form of transportation. I'm going to go fly my jet helicopter now.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Right. And that's why people who really use computers hard and often and in complex ways -- designers and film people and musicians and photographers -- are Mac folks.

What's stupid is ignoring the facts, lad. Do you know how much Walt Mossberg is paid by the Wall Street Journal to review products like this for a very sophisticated audience? Do you know how much Pogue is paid by the NY Times? Levy by Newsweek, or Baig by USA Today? Are you actually so deluded that you believe that they're stupider than you are? That your need to wirelessly download a Britney video while IMing 37 friends at once is more significant than having a stable, user friendly, user accessible tool to do the things that MOST people do MOST of the time?

Of course you are. But other people reading your posts don't think, "Genius, by damn! Give me a donkey so I can be like Surur!" They think, "Gaseous nitwit, he belongs on a donkey."

Want an alternate bet? Palm in bankruptcy, acquired for its tax value as a massive loss, or non-existent in five years. Afraid of that one, too? How about relative market share of OSX and Windows in five years? Find one you like, and put your money where your mouth is.

I love how people keep putting words in Surur's mouth. Just because the masses will buy a product doesn't make it good, it just means the company has a fabulous marketing program. Why do people buy iPods when they cost twice as much as the other MP3 players out there (many of which have more functionality)? It's because the iPod has become culturally ingrained as a status symbol. Why do customers and businesses still buy Intel vs AMD when their chips are more expensive? It's all marketing.

Oh, and the "people who really use computers hard and often and in complex ways" use Unix at work and Linux at home.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
In another thread, there was link to Apple Insider saying that Apple will add more apps of it's own, like the ones that will help it compete with true smartphones. I think that will help.

Apple got smart and mainstreamed some of it's iPods' prices for the last batch. 30GB for $250 is not so bad. $150 for 2GB is better than the $200 they wanted for the 1st gen. Nano, although most 2GB players are still a little less. They listen to the public, sometimes. At least more than Palm.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
By your logic, Microsoft's operating systems are an order of magnitude better than Apple's operating systems - actually closer to 2 orders of magnitude better - based solely on your "MOST people, MOST of the time" measure. It would be stupid to ignore that fact wouldn't it? ;)

CountBuggula said:
Oh, and the "people who really use computers hard and often and in complex ways" use Unix at work and Linux at home.
So true, although to be fair, OS X is a close approximation of Linux/Unix under all that pretty makeup.

Fafafoooey

May 15, 2005
Visit site
not sure about only Linux

Well, maybe you do, but actually, people that are that deep into computers actually have more than one machine, and more than likely use more than 1 OS.

My Co-worker is a developer, and I am a systems engineer, and we use Windows, Mac OSX, Solaris, and Linux at home, so that is 4 machines minimum. There is no way that you can solely use Linux at home. There is just not enough software out there for Linux. But at least if you have a choice, then you can have all your needs covered.

:)

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Why do people buy iPods when they cost twice as much as the other MP3 players out there (many of which have more functionality)?

that's an easy one: they look good, are fun, and more importantly, the entire process is very easy to use. some consumers like its convenience, simplicity, and can afford the real thing and not some substitute product. insert iPhone here.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
I wish i could add 3rd party apps, but im not convinced that wont happen down the road. I would really like a password manager and a GPS navigation solution. The recessed headphone jack is a PITA, but i'll buy Belkins adapter to fix that.

I've managed to make Safari crash once, but the iPhone is rock solid. Certainly the most stable mobile OS/apps combination i've ever used. If anyone is experiencing issues they should just use iTunes to restore the phone to factory defaults and then let iTunes restore all your settings.

ohbw

Feb 5, 2005
Visit site
So does my Dash.

And so does my iPhone, so far. I've spent weeks installing software and debugging every Treo I've ever had -- the battery issues alone on the 680 took dozens of hours of fiddling, reading, posting, hoping, praying. I'm not doing that right now. That's different.

The comment about operating systems ignores two important factors: (1) the outrageous and well-documented anti-competitive behavior of MS, which has made Windows predominant in a marketplace full of (2) sheep, who get fed one OS, learn how to use it, and are terrified to venture out and try something different. Like a lot of people here.

These conversations never end. There's always a developer who says no human can function without 17 computers and working knowledge of 11 operating systems, or someone who insists that a pda/phone should run Photoshop. My simple point is this: I'm 48. I've been using computers for almost 30 years for the things most folks use computers for -- some professional, some personal. That part of my life got a whole lot sweeter when I moved to Mac. I don't design spacecraft or run the Pentagon with my computer or phone, and I don't want to. I run my own website and mess around with music and images a lot and communicate with the world -- pretty average, I think. And all of those things are very much easier and more satisfying to do on a Mac. I'm having the same kind of experience with my iPhone: it just works, and is eminently approachable, to a degree no Treo ever was. And I repeat: I had four Treos, and thought they were the best thing going. Now they aren't, and I'm not ashamed to recognize it.

I'll put it this way, and let the nitpicking begin: I've met hundreds of people who switched, like me, and say, as I do, "I wouldn't go back at gunpoint." I've never met one person who abandoned the Mac for the FUBAR logic and security joys of Windows.

And anyone who doesn't realize that Apple just released the prototype for the cell phone of the future -- a phone/pda that advances the type substantially in a dozen different, important ways -- is stoopit, or hasn't had an iPhone in his hand. Yeah, it's not perfect, EDGE is slow. But WiFi is everywhere, and I also own a computer. I don't want to research a dissertation from my phone. It's not perfect. It's just way better. Deal with it.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Since I'm your elder Brian, listen up...

You are right. If the iPhone does what you need, the way you need it, then no amount of dstrauss/surur/olavarez/archie/larsen/WHOMEVER makes any difference at all. At the same time, Phone DIva and Kupe are also right...our Blackjacks/Dashes hold up fine as well. Not as flashy, but even more goodies under the hood.

Enjoy your iPhone secure in the knowledge that you are right...for you.

ohbw

Feb 5, 2005
Visit site
Since I'm your elder Brian, listen up...

You are right. If the iPhone does what you need, the way you need it, then no amount of dstrauss/surur/olavarez/archie/larsen/WHOMEVER makes any difference at all. At the same time, Phone DIva and Kupe are also right...our Blackjacks/Dashes hold up fine as well. Not as flashy, but even more goodies under the hood.

Enjoy your iPhone secure in the knowledge that you are right...for you.

Lord Silverback:) ,

I humbly apologize for getting exercised and accept what you say. But the dialogue is uninformed and reactionary on one side, isn't it? I know things are possible with other devices, I've used them for a long time. I also know that a touch screen with access to every app on one (completely visible at once) screen / visual voice mail / sexy scrolling / sleek package / stable integrated OS / full screen browser / ginormous and vivid display under glass / etc. are significant and desirable steps forward -- sort of like a GUI, or an OS that is stable and functional and impervious to assaults from without.

It's almost as if a group of young men born in the hills, shepherds, came down from those hills and said as one, "Women?! Why would we need these rosy pink women of yours?! Our sheep are perfectly serviceable, and look, they have wool onto which a man can grab! There can be no desirable use for these women of yours!"

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Well, maybe you do, but actually, people that are that deep into computers actually have more than one machine, and more than likely use more than 1 OS.

My Co-worker is a developer, and I am a systems engineer, and we use Windows, Mac OSX, Solaris, and Linux at home, so that is 4 machines minimum. There is no way that you can solely use Linux at home. There is just not enough software out there for Linux. But at least if you have a choice, then you can have all your needs covered.

:)

True, to an extent. I used to go back and forth between Windows and Linux at home, but with the recent improvements in Wine there's little reason to use a Windows machine anymore. I can't think of anything I need in Windows that I can't either run in Wine or which has a Linux equivalent (Paint.net comes to mind here - there's some great free image editing software for Linux that replaces that).

Um...sorry I didn't mean to turn this into a Linux-evangelical discussion. Back to your regularly scheduled topic...

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Lord Silverback:) ,

I humbly apologize for getting exercised and accept what you say. But the dialogue is uninformed and reactionary on one side, isn't it? I know things are possible with other devices, I've used them for a long time. I also know that a touch screen with access to every app on one (completely visible at once) screen / visual voice mail / sexy scrolling / sleek package / stable integrated OS / full screen browser / ginormous and vivid display under glass / etc. are significant and desirable steps forward -- sort of like a GUI, or an OS that is stable and functional and impervious to assaults from without.

It's almost as if a group of young men born in the hills, shepherds, came down from those hills and said as one, "Women?! Why would we need these rosy pink women of yours?! Our sheep are perfectly serviceable, and look, they have wool onto which a man can grab! There can be no desirable use for these women of yours!"

Umm...that's a pretty poor analogy IMO. All we're (some of us) are trying to say is that there's absolutely nothing revolutionary in the iPhone except for the pretty UI. Sure, the UI is good looking. It feels nice. We're not disputing that. The only difference between you and I is how much weight we put on that particular feature. To some, an awesome pretty UI makes not having an open platform worth it. There's others of us who just need (or want) to do more with a device. That's what convergence is all about. Because of my Treo, I don't have to carry around a PDA, phone, and Game Boy because one device can fill all of those needs. I'm not saying the Treo's perfect, far from it. But for me, and plenty of other users out there, the iPhone doesn't fit the bill.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Umm...that's a pretty poor analogy IMO. All we're (some of us) are trying to say is that there's absolutely nothing revolutionary in the iPhone except for the pretty UI. Sure, the UI is good looking. It feels nice. We're not disputing that. The only difference between you and I is how much weight we put on that particular feature. To some, an awesome pretty UI makes not having an open platform worth it. There's others of us who just need (or want) to do more with a device. That's what convergence is all about. Because of my Treo, I don't have to carry around a PDA, phone, and Game Boy because one device can fill all of those needs. I'm not saying the Treo's perfect, far from it. But for me, and plenty of other users out there, the iPhone doesn't fit the bill.

Now be fair, there is a lot more to it than just GUI. Visual voicemail looks like a good start, and if the phone actually works as demo'd, I like the phone answering and conferencing features - noi question about what you're doing and when. I also want to personally thank Steverino for giving AT&T a kick in the shorts by upping EDGE performance. YES, HSDPA is the only real way to go, but having suffered with 55-80k performance on my Blackjack since November (we are not blessed with 3G here), the new 145-180k we've seen since Friday is a godsend. And with any luck, when Stevie releases the 3G version for Xmas, I'll finally GET 3G in the backwater. :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods