See happens to an iPhone when you drop it on concrete repeatedly.

Interesting...... http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,545-...d,0/video.html
    06-30-2007 02:49 PM
    Looks like a very tough phone. Even with "ear-high" drops onto concrete, it kept on working and the stylus didn't fly out! (more importantly, the battery couldn't fly out)
    06-30-2007 04:28 PM
    Each time it was dropped onto the concrete, it sounded like plastic versus stainless steel around the casing.

Looks like a very tough phone. Even with "ear-high" drops onto concrete, it kept on working and the stylus didn't fly out! (more importantly, the battery couldn't fly out)
    06-30-2007 05:13 PM
    Saw another video also where someone was trying to scratch the display. It was impressive how much abuse it could take. I agree though about it sounding like plastic when it was dropped. I am not going to do a test on mine!
    06-30-2007 11:23 PM
    Oh, the horror!!! Amazing that it kept working...

It may have some impact on the case I select.
    06-30-2007 11:28 PM
    One thing that I noticed on mine - the fish wallpaper that is shown on all the early iPhone pictures is missing. What happened to the fish?

Oh, the horror!!! Amazing that it kept working...

It may have some impact on the case I select.
    06-30-2007 11:40 PM
    Scratch resistance was the most impressive thing to my mind. Capacitive screens are definitely looking like the way forward I think.
    07-01-2007 03:48 AM
    Scratch resistance was the most impressive thing to my mind. Capacitive screens are definitely looking like the way forward I think.
    Well it didn't have anything to do with the screen type, but the fact that they encased said screen in glass. Glass might be the way forward!
    07-01-2007 07:34 AM
    Considering the durability, what kind of cases are you looking at?
    07-01-2007 02:09 PM
    Considering the durability, what kind of cases are you looking at?
    I got a very thin rubberized one to prevent scratching to the edges if/when i drop it and to add some grip to the device.
    07-02-2007 08:31 AM
    You know, I just never understand the idiots that complain because a scren gets scratched by PUTTING THE PHONE IN THE SAME POCKET WITH YOUR KEYS. Maybe there's hope for them after all. That "real life" testing, however, is pretty amazing. My Blackjack would have been in a dozen pieces after the first fall.
    07-02-2007 11:11 AM
    Well it didn't have anything to do with the screen type, but the fact that they encased said screen in glass. Glass might be the way forward!
    You're right about the glass but not with 'it didn't have anything to do with the screen type'. Capacitive screens work by charge transfer (from the screen to the finger) but resistive screens (such as found on Treos and nearly every touchscreen phone) work by deformation of the outer layer so that it touches the layer below. A consequence of this is that capacitive screens can be made of something very hard (like glass) but the outer layer of a resistive screen has to be much softer (so it can be deformed by a finger, stylus etc).
    07-02-2007 11:19 AM
    You're right about the glass but not with 'it didn't have anything to do with the screen type'. Capacitive screens work by charge transfer (from the screen to the finger) but resistive screens (such as found on Treos and nearly every touchscreen phone) work by deformation of the outer layer so that it touches the layer below. A consequence of this is that capacitive screens can be made of something very hard (like glass) but the outer layer of a resistive screen has to be much softer (so it can be deformed by a finger, stylus etc).
    Ah.Oooh. :thumbsup:
    07-02-2007 12:18 PM
    Ah.Oooh. :thumbsup:
    It is indeed a very good thing

Also, capacitive screens don't need the nasty bezel found around most (all?) resistive touchscreens so you can have the nice smooth look of the iPhone and LG Prada.

The downside of course is that you have to use something that will conduct charge (like a finger). Obviously that's fine for the iPhone (unless you're wearing gloves) but AFAIK precludes the use of a stylus. If that's so, I wouldn't expect to see mass adoption of capacitive screens on devices from other manufactures because it would necessitate a complete UI redesign (so all touching of the screen is done with a finger). Alternatively, perhaps someone could make a conductive stylus that works?
    07-02-2007 12:44 PM
    Anyone ever see a stress test conducted on a HTC touch or LG Prada? Any phone?
    07-02-2007 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD