Sold out everywhere now except for two Apple stores:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/05/...stores-almost/
    07-05-2007 05:15 AM
    Yep this aint gonna sell no where near what T and Jobs thinks.

Look at the 12000 iPhones on ebay:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...e=search&fgtp=
    Last speculation was 700,000 iPhones sold in 3 days AT&T also confirmed that there are 600,000 iPhone activations to date. I also read somewhere that they had 3 million units for the launch, so if every store is now sold out, would you like to guess?

There are also a lot of people that are now just placing their orders because they wanted to wait for the first user-reviews and/or see it first hand before diving in and that number might even be a bigger surprise.
    07-05-2007 05:27 AM

I have an Apple store a half a mile from my front door. I walked over on Friday evening just before six because I was curious about whether it was a zoo or not. The line was a block long, about 300 people, I would guess (in a relatively small town, Boulder).
    There were more than 100 people lined up at the AT&T Store in Maui (Population: about 135,000). I did not get one because the store only had 20 to sell. The Apple Stores in Oahu were sold out Saturday afternoon and no more shipments after that.
    07-05-2007 05:47 AM
    BASKING RIDGE, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Lightspeed Research, a leading global interactive data solutions provider, surveyed 39,000 people on its U.S. online panel in the days following the launch of the Apple iPhone on the 29th June.

Thirty-two percent of those who do not currently own an iPhone stated that they do intend to purchase one, with 8% planning to purchase in the next 3 months and 22% planning to purchase some time in the future.
    http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...48&newsLang=en

Not quite sure what the 8% is 8% of exactly; 8% of the US population would be ~24 million, 8% of phone US users would be ~16 million. *If* sales over the next three months were anything like that the iPhone would be an astonishingly popular device.

Those sort of numbers are in Nokia 1100 territory:

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articl...-CompanyNews-3
    07-12-2007 12:58 PM
    I'll believe these numbers when I see them in people's hands in the wild.

I have seen two since the 29th, and I am out frequently, all over Apple-land.

Either they are awaiting online shipment, or keeping them hidden.

I'm sure they are selling a lot...I just want to see it floating around like when the RAZR flushed the markets - everyone and thier dog had one.
    07-12-2007 01:41 PM
    I haven't seen any yet (also live in Apple-ville).
    07-12-2007 01:48 PM
    Still in stock at all stores after first day...
    http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/
    Well, still in stock in Apple stores. Many AT&T stores sold out.
    07-12-2007 03:13 PM
    ATT stores didnt get nearly as many and it was taking them around 15-20 mins per customer just to sell them. It took Apple stores about 5 mins per customer. I've only seen a couple "in the wild" as well...
    07-12-2007 04:19 PM
    I haven't seen any yet (also live in Apple-ville).
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...1&cat=breaking
    07-19-2007 09:48 AM
    Duke has already posted that this ws a Cisco problem and had nothing to do with the iPhone.
    07-22-2007 10:42 PM
    Duke has already posted that this ws a Cisco problem and had nothing to do with the iPhone.
    Did not intend to suggest that it was an "iPhone problem;" only that there were enough iPhones in the wild to aggravate one. Some here had suggested that they would not believe that any had sold because they had not seen one "in the wild."
    07-23-2007 08:32 AM
    In the duke stories they reported only 2 people using them.

Anyway, I've now seen one other person using one, at the bar in Alexander's in Cupertino.

Still, not as many sightings as i'd expect given the lines i saw wrapped around the at&t and apple stores out here.
    07-23-2007 01:07 PM

Anyway, I've now seen one other person using one, at the bar in Alexander's in Cupertino.

Still, not as many sightings as i'd expect given the lines i saw wrapped around the at&t and apple stores out here.
    Most people probably have them in their pockets I don't see/notice many phones these days with BT earpieces being so common. I do see lots of people talking to themselves, which I'm used to from living on Grateful Dead tour (and living in Santa Cruz)
    07-23-2007 01:39 PM
    Ah, but half the fun of owning an iphone is fondling it!
    07-23-2007 02:17 PM

I just followed the link again. "A single iPhone was powerful enough to cause the problem, and there are 100 to 150 of them registered on the network, Cannon said. Network administrators have noticed the problem nine times in the past week."
    07-23-2007 02:36 PM
    Ah, but half the fun of owning an iphone is fondling it!
    There are reports that fondling one's iPhone causes "hair to grow on the palm of one's hand."
    07-23-2007 02:38 PM
    I apologize. In one of the stories I read, they discussed two iphones causing the problem, but didn't cite the number "registered on the network."

However, I call BS on that number. Remember, these are the same clowns who thought a single (or 2) iphones were bringing down their network, only to change their minds a week later.

I'm a huge iphone fan, and I believe a million have been sold, but I do not believe 150 of them are at Duke University during their summer break.
    07-23-2007 02:41 PM
    Most people probably have them in their pockets I don't see/notice many phones these days with BT earpieces being so common. I do see lots of people talking to themselves, which I'm used to from living on Grateful Dead tour (and living in Santa Cruz)
    There is a "Wi-Fi" setting on the iPhone, "Ask to join network." I have it set on. When the iPhone sees a new network, it prompts me with the name and kind of the network and asks me if I want to join. If it is a closed network, one will be prompted for the authentication information, e.g., WEP key.

I admit that I have always had that setting on and do not know how turning it off would effect its behavior. However, the default is "off."

Now suppose that one is on a campus with mesh open Wi-Fi and with the setting "off." The phone might register with WAPs, one after another, as one walks across the campus. Suppose that there are 100 phones doing that. Suppose that the network operators have not anticipated that kind of behavior. Under such a scenario, one can imagine a net storm.
    07-23-2007 02:55 PM
    I apologize. In one of the stories I read, they discussed two iphones causing the problem, but didn't cite the number "registered on the network."

However, I call BS on that number. Remember, these are the same clowns who thought a single (or 2) iphones were bringing down their network, only to change their minds a week later.

I'm a huge iphone fan, and I believe a million have been sold, but I do not believe 150 of them are at Duke University during their summer break.
    I admit that it sounds a little unlikely. However, Google reports Apple Stores in both Raleigh and Durham. How unlikely is that?
    07-23-2007 03:01 PM
    Some actual sales numbers (well activation numbers anyway):

Included in the wireless figures are two days of sales of Apple Inc.'s new iPhone, launched June 29. In that time, AT&T activated 146,000 iPhone subscribers, with more than 40 percent of them new customers.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

Makes the estimate of 700 000 in three days seem a bit wide of the mark.
    07-24-2007 10:26 AM
    perhaps, but it's not implausible that the number of activations increased over the subsequent two days. many may have purchased their devices on the 29th but waited to activate them until the days later.
    07-24-2007 10:56 AM
    For sure. Also, do two (or more) devices on the same family plan count as two (or more) activations or just the one? We might learn a bit more from Apple tomorrow.
    07-24-2007 11:07 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD