3G coverage is not universal, correct, and especially on At&t its spotty at best. further making the carrier decision baffling. But I travel for a living and I can tell you that my Treo WX gets EVDO in every city I travel too. On verizon, its very well established.
    I have had EVDO with Sprint on 2 devices, one also had WiFi. With 3G EVDO I saw absolutely no reason to bother with WiFi.

Also, I use my network connection from my car (Google Maps with GPS rocks), from a soccer field, from an airport; i.e. no WiFi available. The idea that WiFi is a suitable alternative to good WLAN is ridiculous.
    06-30-2007 02:47 PM
    That argument makes no sense. You can still go to mobile websites on an iphone. I'm sure I'll be making lots of use of mobile.nytimes.com, mobile.fandango.com, etc.
    You're daft.

If you go to those sites on a "real" browser like Safari, it auto-redirects you to the full site. Try it.
    06-30-2007 02:51 PM
    i just did. some do and some don't redirect.

mobile.fandango.com does not
    mobile.nytimes.com does

etc.

If there is a way to disable javascript on the iphone then you can disable the redirections i just saw (since they are on the client end, not the server end, it looks like)
    06-30-2007 03:38 PM
    I have had EVDO with Sprint on 2 devices, one also had WiFi. With 3G EVDO I saw absolutely no reason to bother with WiFi.

Also, I use my network connection from my car (Google Maps with GPS rocks), from a soccer field, from an airport; i.e. no WiFi available. The idea that WiFi is a suitable alternative to good WLAN is ridiculous.
    I have a sprint evdo card for my laptop. I happen to live in an area with coverage, so it's fine, but when i travel its hit or miss, depending, of course, on where i go. And in my office building, in my window office it's fine, but when i'm in some of the interior conference rooms my speeds go way down.

I'm not suggesting wi-fi is an alternative. I'm saying the ideal situation is both 3G AND wi-fi, particularly if they can switch seemlessly based on signal strength (something that apple seems to have gotten down with 2G, supposedly)
    06-30-2007 03:40 PM
    1) No removable battery-I dont care about this in terms of swapping batteries on a daily basis. What bothers me is that within two years, your Iphone will need to be shipped back to apple for a new battery? does apple not realize that people cant just lose thier cell phones for a week? This point alone will prevent me from getting the iphone.

2) No A2DP-This apple is supposed to be the most advanced music device on the planet. Well, ok, then how can it leave off this feature? Especially with 2.0 on board? I am sure you guys agree that once you use wireless stereo its tough to go back.

3) No 3G-Steve Jobs totally ran from this questions when asked by Walt Mossberg. To me, this is just horrific. A device as advanced as the Iphone and it doesnt have 3G? this may very well be the most perplexing decision of all.

I guess this is what version 1. I just think this device could have taken over the world had it addressed these three points. I might have even considered getting one.

MAYBE THEY ARE LEARNING FROM ****PALM**** ON HOW TO IRRITATE THE CONSUMER;
    it's true no AD2P and lack of 3g is inexuseable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-01-2007 12:00 AM
    1) No removable battery-I dont care about this in terms of swapping batteries on a daily basis. What bothers me is that within two years, your Iphone will need to be shipped back to apple for a new battery? does apple not realize that people cant just lose thier cell phones for a week? This point alone will prevent me from getting the iphone.

2) No A2DP-This apple is supposed to be the most advanced music device on the planet. Well, ok, then how can it leave off this feature? Especially with 2.0 on board? I am sure you guys agree that once you use wireless stereo its tough to go back.

3) No 3G-Steve Jobs totally ran from this questions when asked by Walt Mossberg. To me, this is just horrific. A device as advanced as the Iphone and it doesnt have 3G? this may very well be the most perplexing decision of all.

I guess this is what version 1. I just think this device could have taken over the world had it addressed these three points. I might have even considered getting one.
    1.I would have needed CDMA
    2. device based applications, I need access to medical based applications and in hospitals signal strength is not good.
    Who knows what will happen in 5 years, our circuits will be inplanted in our brains.
    07-01-2007 12:15 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD