10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
It is too difficult to find someone in Contacts. In the letters index, you have to try to touch a tiny letter then scroll over and over to get to the contact you want. Or, you drag your finger up and down the letters index trying to find your contact. You can open up the Contacts search, but that means you have to manage to touch the tiny question mark at the top of the letters index without hitting the big "+" sign. Then you have to touch in the search field and wait for the keyboard to display.

I would like the Contacts search field and the keyboard to be displayed by default. You should be able to scroll the contacts that are displayed between the Contacts search field and the keyboard.
No longer true. Use the "Search iPhone" function. Press the home key twice.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I got the 3GS when it first came out and here is my top ten list in no particular order

-call failed
-could not activate cellular network
-phone reads full 3G signal but it is connecting to AT&T's network as well as a iPod touch
-"Searching..." status
-"No Service" status
-static voice quality
-getting yelled at boss, gf, etc because they called 7 times but I didn't get a call
-inconsistent service- it will work like in the ads, followed by nothing for 30 minutes
-spending 45 minutes at home trying to look at CNN's front page or making a call because the network does not work
-paying $65/month for a device that should be called the "iP--n-", not "iPhone"

-and a bonus reason- waiting for the Nexus one on Verizon to come out so I can get a phone that works.

Funny I have had none of those issues. And just how does the iPod touch that has no radio tuner connect to the network at all? I dropped my first call just the other day compared to the 2 or 3 I would drop a week with my BB.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I got the 3GS when it first came out and here is my top ten list in no particular order

-call failed
-could not activate cellular network
-phone reads full 3G signal but it is connecting to AT&T's network as well as a iPod touch
-"Searching..." status
-"No Service" status
-static voice quality
-getting yelled at boss, gf, etc because they called 7 times but I didn't get a call
-inconsistent service- it will work like in the ads, followed by nothing for 30 minutes
-spending 45 minutes at home trying to look at CNN's front page or making a call because the network does not work
-paying $65/month for a device that should be called the "iP--n-", not "iPhone"

-and a bonus reason- waiting for the Nexus one on Verizon to come out so I can get a phone that works.
These look to me like carrier (AT&T) not hardware (Apple) problems. No carrier provides uniform service across all markets and locations. By reputation, it is fair to conclude that where AT&T is bad, it is very very bad.

Service in the two or three locations in which one spends most of one's time trumps everything. If AT&T service is bad in your area, you will not be happy with an iPhone.

(There is a solution, the micro-cell, but it is not, and may never be, generally available.)

(I use a Verizon MiFi to reduce my reliance on AT&T. However, this is a limited and expensive solution to what is a fundamental carrier limitation.)

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
These look to me like carrier (AT&T) not hardware (Apple) problems. No carrier provides uniform service across all markets and locations. By reputation, it is fair to conclude that where AT&T is bad, it is very very bad.

Service in the two or three locations in which one spends most of one's time trumps everything. If AT&T service is bad in your area, you will not be happy with an iPhone.

(There is a solution, the micro-cell, but it is not, and may never be, generally available.)

(I use a Verizon MiFi to reduce my reliance on AT&T. However, this is a limited and expensive solution to what is a fundamental carrier limitation.)

Yeah that is pretty much the whole story right there. If I lived in a place that had bad ATT coverage I don't think that I would have gone with the iPhone. Then again my Berry was on ATT and I can't stand VZW,Sprint or TMO so I guess I would have just been out of luck. I have a friend in SF who uses a Cell booster in his house and says that has solved all of his issues with bad coverage, they are expensive but they can help.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Yeah that is pretty much the whole story right there. If I lived in a place that had bad ATT coverage I don't think that I would have gone with the iPhone. Then again my Berry was on ATT and I can't stand VZW,Sprint or TMO so I guess I would have just been out of luck. I have a friend in SF who uses a Cell booster in his house and says that has solved all of his issues with bad coverage, they are expensive but they can help.
I forgot cell boosters as a partial solution. They may help with voice calls, even in SF. I doubt that they will help with data. I had 5 bars and the 3G indicator in SF and still could not do data apps.

Can you say local coverage, fast three times.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I forgot cell boosters as a partial solution. They may help with voice calls, even in SF. I doubt that they will help with data. I had 5 bars and the 3G indicator in SF and still could not do data apps.

Can you say local coverage, fast three times.

No they do not help with data as far as I know, but most people have wi-fi set up at home so I am not sure that it is that big of a deal to not have 3G in the house.

mc2

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Sooo true

This guy really nailed it! Add to that list the fact that you have to laboriously untick videos and tunes you want to remove from the phone when you sync. And you can't make the contacts update only from Mac to phone...!
But the most annoying feature is the non operative video output to TV or recorder! Why?

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
This guy really nailed it! Add to that list the fact that you have to laboriously untick videos and tunes you want to remove from the phone when you sync. And you can't make the contacts update only from Mac to phone...!
But the most annoying feature is the non operative video output to TV or recorder! Why?

You really find it that much of a chore to check and uncheck music and videos? I have never really had much of an issue with it, but I guess I could see that as being a drawback. Then again the iPods all work the same way so I guess if you don't like that then really your issue is with iTunes not the iPhone as far as that goes. And what are you talking about with the contacts? I update from my Mac contacts all the time.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
One of the problems that results when the vendor gives you choices, for example what songs or apps to load, is that one must exercise the choice. In this case, for every one who complains about having to exercise this choice, there would be as many complaining if there were no control.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR