10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmprofessional

Jun 19, 2003
www.nmprofessional.com
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/#mn_p

There. That should go a long way toward giving folks who don't own the iPhone less to complain about :)

I hope that the timeframe for the SDK rollout is not like the rollout for say: Leopard, iPhone, etc. Doesn't each rollout just seem to get pushed back?

My guess is that an SDK will be to the public by March 2008 and then developers to rollout apps over that next month. But, man... for me that is a very long time to wait... Jul 07 - March 08 = 9 months of not being able to keep a digital to-do list and/or searchable memos or contacts. Ouch. Don't many feature phones do this already?

I hope that Steve is right on with the timeframe for the SDK. Is anyone else here, besides me, thinking that waiting for things to come in the Apple world is just not practical right now?

That Tilt is looking really good right now.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I hope that the timeframe for the SDK rollout is not like the rollout for say: Leopard, iPhone, etc. Doesn't each rollout just seem to get pushed back?

My guess is that an SDK will be to the public by March 2008 and then developers to rollout apps over that next month. But, man... for me that is a very long time to wait... Jul 07 - March 08 = 9 months of not being able to keep a digital to-do list and/or searchable memos or contacts. Ouch. Don't many feature phones do this already?

I hope that Steve is right on with the timeframe for the SDK. Is anyone else here, besides me, thinking that waiting for things to come in the Apple world is just not practical right now?

That Tilt is looking really good right now.

As many of us have repeatedly said, if iPhone doesn't do, right now, what you need it to do, get a different phone. Don't buy an iPhone expecting it will change to do what you want.

I expect they will hit the timeframe; afaik once Apple actually announces a date, they tend to hit it. I don't recall that either iPhone or Leopard was actually delayed from a date that Apple announced (at least not a date this specific). The iphone wait, in particular, seemed to be a situation where there tons of rumors about the phone, and everyone kept waiting for apple to announce its existence.

I'm waiting to see what all the whiners come up with once the 3p apps start rolling out and filling in all the holes everyone has been complaining about for so wrong. It might be amusing, if they are sufficiently creative about it.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
leopard was supposed to come out in june alongside the iPhone, but apple had to divert a bunch of employees on the leopard team to get the iphone done by his promised deadline of june. I believe jobs announced this in january, but my memory could be off.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/#mn_p

There. That should go a long way toward giving folks who don't own the iPhone less to complain about :)
I do not get it your conclusion. An SDK should makes me happy, should make all iPhone users happy. If anything, it should give the non-owners one more thing to complain about.

Now I could complain about having to wait until February but the truth is that I have been waiting on Palm for years. I am still waiting for a replacement for my 650GSM.

I have made $30/sh on my Apple stock since I bought my iPhone, $3/sh today. I got a great announcement letter for Leopard from Apple this am. Maybe I should buy an iMac.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Steve Jobs said:
Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers? hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users.
TRANSLATION: We are unable to satisfy the functionality needs of the marketplace with our internal software team and therefore bow to the overwhelming complaints of our user base (and hopefully potential users) by letting others program for the iPhone. Maybe now, with our own developers freed up, we'll be able to get Leopard out...someday. :thumbsup:

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
leopard was supposed to come out in june alongside the iPhone, but apple had to divert a bunch of employees on the leopard team to get the iphone done by his promised deadline of june. I believe jobs announced this in january, but my memory could be off.

Yeah, I couldn't remember if Jobs actually announced a specific month, or had just said "mid-2007" or something.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
TRANSLATION: We are unable to satisfy the functionality needs of the marketplace with our internal software team and therefore bow to the overwhelming complaints of our user base (and hopefully potential users) by letting others program for the iPhone. Maybe now, with our own developers freed up, we'll be able to get Leopard out...someday. :thumbsup:

"someday" = about 9 days from now?

I am pretty positive that Jobs had this planned all along. He's not lying that it takes time to get it right (although I don't necessarily agree with his definition of "right"), and if he had announced "it will be ready in february" back in july, he would have had two problems:

1) us suckers wouldn't have written very many webapps. Webapps serve 2 purposes for apple. First, it gets the safari browser platform much more support. Second, it sells at least a few phones; for some people being able to run at least certain types of apps through the browser is "good enough."

2) the people that are saying "i can't believe i have to wait 4 months" would be saying "i can't believe i have to wait 9 months."

Add in the fact that parts of the actual iPhone OS are identical (or will soon be identical) to leopard, and that the SDK/development environment may depend on leopard's xcode.

In the mean time, Apple has lost a little good will among the geekiest 10% of the population (not a good idea) but has had no difficulty (it seems) selling all the iPhones it can manufacture.

I expect that there are already multiple commercial developers working with Apple on software that will be announced around the same time as the SDK.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I do not get it your conclusion. An SDK should makes me happy, should make all iPhone users happy. If anything, it should give the non-owners one more thing to complain about.

Now I could complain about having to wait until February but the truth is that I have been waiting on Palm for years. I am still waiting for a replacement for my 650GSM.

I have made $30/sh on my Apple stock since I bought my iPhone, $3/sh today. I got a great announcement letter for Leopard from Apple this am. Maybe I should buy an iMac.

I meant the "non-owner posters on here who constantly gripe about iphone's deficiencies." The biggest gripe has generally been lack of 3rd party apps.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

Looks like it worked. Got an e-mail from Steve this am promising Leopard by the end of the month and soliciting orders.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
sorry if this has already been mentioned, but half of those things will change with 3g.
-aim messaging
-headphone adapters
-gps
-ten isn't even a reason

bomba

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
i must agree that typing is a pain in the ass with the iphone, but then again, its only 1st gen, maybe apple will be able to make typing easier . ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro