10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx76mike

May 25, 2004
Visit site
I guess what I meant was if you purchased the iPhone wherein you are still within the 14-day return policy in reference to the price cut from yesterday - has anyone tried to go back to the Apple Store to return and buy another one at the lower price? if so, were you able to do so, or use the difference to purchase other stuff?

Thanks!

Is there someone out there who bought the 8GB one in less than 14 days and tried to return and buy another one to recoup some credit? I figured even with the restocking fee, you would still net some return to spend on something else.

tx76mike

May 25, 2004
Visit site
Never mind... Just called my Apple Store. They indicated if I go in there with the receipt, they will give a credit back. Not sure how much, but will find out this afternoon :) :D

I guess what I meant was if you purchased the iPhone wherein you are still within the 14-day return policy in reference to the price cut from yesterday - has anyone tried to go back to the Apple Store to return and buy another one at the lower price? if so, were you able to do so, or use the difference to purchase other stuff?

Thanks!

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I think this may have a chilling effect on the next big hyped release from Apple. People may wait to see if there is a price drop before getting burned again.

But honestly, cel phones do seems like they can get discounted rather fast in the market, usually because of deals by the carriers to increase new customers. The fact that Apple sells them via retail (unlike any other vendor really) makes this much more high-profile IMO.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I think this may have a chilling effect on the next big hyped release from Apple. People may wait to see if there is a price drop before getting burned again.

But honestly, cel phones do seems like they can get discounted rather fast in the market, usually because of deals by the carriers to increase new customers. The fact that Apple sells them via retail (unlike any other vendor really) makes this much more high-profile IMO.

Agreed and agreed. I think the new iPods will do very well.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I "strolled in" to the Apple Store in Stamford, CT at 1pm on Saturday and was out with my phone in five minutes. (I admit that dealing with AT&T took a little longer.) (I also admit that I made more than enough on my Apple stock to pay for the phone.)

But, am I mistaken that the same people who argued that Apple priced the phone too high in the first place are the same ones that are whining because they cut the price too much too soon? "No good deed goes unpunished."

I take exception to "whining". I'll tell you why I'm unhappy. Because to drop prices so quickly tells me they're admitting they should never have charged $600 in the first place, but NOT before collecting that from a significant number of people. If it had been closer to Christmas like they claim they were trying for, maybe people wouldn't have been so unhappy. That's why they have to save face with the store credits. It's like they've admitted they overcharged in the first place. If they didn't feel they were overcharging, they would have stood by those prices for a lot longer.

Also does that mean you won't be redeemimg your store credit? :D

P.S. It isn't that I'm not happy Apple priced the iPhone correctly. It's that it looks bad that they charged $200 more, then somehow "realized" their "mistake" after collecting a lot. Maybe if within a week of releasing the iPhone they'd done this and offered credits, it also might not look so strange. Yes, I'm a bit cynical, LOL!

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I take exception to "whining". I'll tell you why I'm unhappy. Because to drop prices so quickly tells me they're admitting they should never have charged $600 in the first place, but NOT before collecting that from a significant number of people. If it had been closer to Christmas like they claim they were trying for, maybe people wouldn't have been so unhappy. That's why they have to save face with the store credits. It's like they've admitted they overcharged in the first place. If they didn't feel they were overcharging, they would have stood by those prices for a lot longer.

I hear ya...Apple reamed the public for every cent. Now that the iPhones are not selling as fast, they lop off 1/3 the price?

Why not offer is at $399 to start?

I know, I know, pricing is an art, blah blah blah. I've been through all the classes and such on this topic. Problem is that Apple beleived the iPhone was really the JPhone, and probably let the pricing get away from them.

And from Job's original keynote:

"So what should we price it at? Well, what do these things normally cost? An iPod, the most popular iPod, $199 for 4 gig nano. What’s a smart phone cost? Well, they say you get the phone and some of the Internet with it, although that’s questionable. But they cost somewhere around $299. You can get them for $199. Palm just introduced one at $399 yesterday, so they generally average about $299 with a two-year contract. Now, these phones sort of do music but nobody uses them for music because they’re not very good and so they end up buying an iPod to go with the phone. We know, we sell the iPod. And so people spend $499 on this combination"

All trying to explain away the inflated price.

And his recent actions, first, an a big "eff you" to customers, and then giving then $100 credits (for more overpriced stuff):

(from article http://www.bakersfield.com/119/story/229757.html)

"But Jobs added that "the technology road is bumpy," and there will always be people who pay top dollar for the latest electronics but get angry later when the price drops.

"This is life in the technology lane," Jobs said.

Immediately after the cuts were announced Wednesday, Jobs' tone was less conciliatory. He tartly rebuffed criticism about whether some of Apple's most die-hard fans would be miffed by the company's latest actions.

IPhone owners who bought their device that morning, he said an interview with USA Today, "should go back to where they bought it and talk to them. If they bought it a month ago, well, that's what happens in technology."

Jobs then apparently had a change of heart. The company is making the right decision by lowering the iPhone price, he said in his letter, but needs to "do the right thing for our valued iPhone customers."

"(W)e need to do a better job taking care of our early iPhone customers as we aggressively go after new ones with a lower price," he said. "Our early customers trusted us, and we must live up to that trust with our actions in moments like these."

Seems Steve needs to learn that "customers" ride that "bumpy road", and if you are a crappy driver, they don't appreciate it.

I'm sorry, but there have been NO phones/pdas/gadget products where the price was cut 1/3 after 60 days.

Customer will learn - they will wait 60 days to see if the price drops.

If it's $399 now, how about in Dec? Maybe it will go down another $50, $100. Depends on how many Apple sells betwen now and then.

Apple has put themselves in a tough spot. And now, if going forward, people will expect credits.

Jobs is treating early iPhone buyers like he did the Apple ][ fans....he suckered them along, then put out the Mac, and completely disenfranchised them. Just look at history to see the furture...

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
It's because someone pointed out to him that it looks like he was milking early adopters, I bet you that's it.

Honestly I wouldn't have gotten that feeling had they done this 5-6 months later around Christmas. I'd have said "oh well" because it's normal for a lot stuff to drop after 6 months anyway. Except for Apple stuff of course, but cell phones are different, as someone else probably pointed out to Jobs.

P.S. I see stock price dropped over the announcement of the price cut. interesting...

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site

P.S. I see stock price dropped over the announcement of the price cut. interesting...

like i said, it's now going to depend on the marginal unit sold at the new price. they're going to have to sell a lot more of them so to keep up with sales/profit projections (obviously).

i think they did the right thing by the consumer to safeguard their goodwill. does it make the situation perfect? i don't think so, but it does show what kind of power this company has.

thanks, Apple.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

P.S. It isn't that I'm not happy Apple priced the iPhone correctly. It's that it looks bad that they charged $200 more, then somehow "realized" their "mistake" after collecting a lot. Maybe if within a week they'd done this and offered credits, it also might not look so strange. Yes, I'm a bit cynical, LOL!
I will claim my credit. They have all kinds of cute toys in the Apple Store that I would like to have.

Still, I have to say that I feel less ripped off by Apple than I did paying Palm $700 for a GSM Treo while CDMA customers were paying $400-. I cannot remember; did Palm ever offer me a credit?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
It's because someone pointed out to him that it looks like he was milking early adopters, I bet you that's it.

Honestly I wouldn't have gotten that feeling had they done this 5-6 months later around Christmas. I'd have said "oh well" because it's normal for a lot stuff to drop after 6 months anyway. Except for Apple stuff of course, but cell phones are different, as someone else probably pointed out to Jobs.

As a stockholder, I noticed that the stock gave up on the announcement the gain that it had in anticipation of the announcement. Perhaps I am forgiving of Apple because my $12- stock is now selling for $130-. You think?

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

Saw my 8th iPhone in the wild...chatted with the guy...loves it...except the no cut and paste and search.

"How could they miss that?" was his comment.

But he liked it, so another happy customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.