10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
You can't delete a SINGLE call? is that really true? If so, I think I may be waiting longer than I thought. Just about all phones allow single call deletion! In fact I have never seen one that didn't, even if it was only halfway good!
Oh, well. To even it all out, one must delete e-mails one at a time.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

It's interesting that every other phone can delete individual sms and calls, but iPhone cannot.

I wonder how an obvious feature can be missed.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
It's interesting that every other phone can delete individual sms and calls, but iPhone cannot.

I wonder how an obvious feature can be missed.

As this owner says, the iPhone seems oddly unfinished... and some fear it may stay that way.

propynyl

I certainly hope the iPhone OS is not a stagnant platform!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the applications on the iPhone feel "unfinished" however. For example, the Calendar application,(which was finished literally weeks before the iPhone shipped), would greatly benefit from multiple color-coded categories, like iCal.

Although I have grown somewhat pessimistic with each passing month, I would like to think that Apple plans on adding this feature down the line to "complete" a piece of software that they-themselves admitted was the last one finished, and certainly feels that way.

The calendar program should be the "brain" of any smartphone, and not an afterthought. I definitely hold out hope that Apple plans to update the calendar, hopefully around the time Leopard is released.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4090083&postcount=31

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I agree with all these shortcomings. Frustrating because they would be so easy to fix. I still predict a major update solving a lot of these things in October to coincide with leopard. Depending on what the sept. 5 ipod announcement is, may also be some new toys around then.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

$600 to wait for basic functions.

So far, "fixes" have been security and small stuff (like upload photos to Apple).

I am curious when the "real" functions will comes.

Maybe next month, maybe next year.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

So far, "fixes" have been security and small stuff (like upload photos to Apple).

When it makes Apple money? Doesn't this upload to Apple work best with a paid .mac account?

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site

If I add the cost of my treo 650 to the price of all the software i added to make it useable, it was well more than $600 :) Of course, at least I had the ability to ADD software. (Out of the box, the treo 650 had a lot more shortcomings for me than the iphone does. Does anyone actually use that versamail crashbait? i don't like crashes, but crashes that actually wipe all the data off your phone are a serious problem. And I forked over for at least 2 alternative web browsers, in addition to a couple of free ones. Plus zlauncher just to be able to make decent use of flash memory [said flash being needed because i had to load so many other programs on their just to get it to work right]. And backup software for when my preferences database got mangled. Argh. I'm having flashbacks.)

Luckily, I have that ability with iphone, as well, but most people won't go that route.

Anyway, since most people who already forked over the $600 still appear to be happy (yes, there are exceptions, and the people with complaints are always more likely to post than the people who are happy), and since those are the folks who are "waiting," as you put it, i'd say it's got enough of the "basic functions" they want. Presumably most those who believe that deleting individual calls from the log is a "basic function" (not to mention the other missing features) haven't yet forked over their $600.

Personally, now that i have a unix shell, I'm content :)

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Quick minor complaints: So no contacts icon until you click on phone or email? Not a super big deal, but contacts are more important to me than a YouTube icon on the home page.

And they REALLY need a back button icon on some screens, the home page button is seeing too much action and MAY become overused.

And the included headphones are mediocre, as usual for Apple headphones. Has anyone used the Shure or Belkin headphone adapter? I prefer other brands.

No IM client is still annoying to me.

One good thing, it works fine with a screen protector on it, I see. Which is perfect for me, since I hate screen blemishes.

And honestly Cmaier, yes deleting a single call IS a basic phone function. Like I said, even the crappy phones offer that! I don't see how Apple overlooked some of the basics.

P.S. Don't use the Incase rubber case, it scratches the chrome and you need a polishing cloth to clear up the scratches. :(

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Crappy phones also offer other features, like random crashes - doesn't make them a basic feature. Anyway, I'm not really arguing it's not a basic feature. Just saying that if someone feels that way, they shouldn't buy the phone, at least not for $600.

Anyway, I've used the shure headphone adapter. Works great. I have shure headphones (don't remember the model number anymore. middle-of-the-line), so not sure if they did any sort of impedence matching or anything to match their own headphones, or if they work great for all headphones.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Come on now, individual call delete is just about a given! That will be quite annoying to have to keep track of useful vs. non-useful callers. If you only have people you know calling, it's one thing. But not in my case. And every single smartphone I've had offers single delete. I hope they fix that in a firmware update, honestly. If they want to bridge a gap between smartphones and "cool" phones they need to fix several things IMO.

Thanks for the Shure recommendation. I was leaning toward them since they are known for quality products. Did you find yours at the Apple Store or order online?

Still looking for a functional case that doesn't detract from the phone.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I've never deleted a call log entry on my treo, so don't suppose I'll have much need to do so on my iphone. Of course, if I ever decide to cheat on my wife, I'll probably regret the absence of that feature :)

I got my Shure at the apple store (brick and mortar). The only issue I see is that it can if your headphones already have a long cord, it might be too much cord to deal with - the shure headset I have has a long cord, but it goes down your back, which takes up some length.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Cheating? :D

Or if you start getting useless spam callers, people who keep calling the same wrong number, or people calling to waste time; and you need to filter out good from bad callers so you know who to call back and who to dump.

I'll call Apple tomorrow to see if they have the adapter. Thanks again for that!

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
tweet

cmaier,

Tweet! BS flag thrown...15 yard penalty.

Basic "crappy" phones offer random crashes?

Maybe on the crappy Palm OS phone, but I've used hundred of "regular" phones from Nokia, Motorola, Samsung,Sanyo, SE, and other and they never "crashed".

I can only remember one time where I had to remove a battery to reset a "regular" phone.

I think Surur hit it on the head...new functions will come out when Apple can make more money on them.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Home page is non-customizable it seems, yet another drawback. Some icons are unnecessary to be showing at all times. Again a minor annoyance, but it's the small things a $600 phone is missing that irks me. $400-$450 is what the iPhone is worth IMO, just due to all the basic things missing.

Plus note, build construction seems excellent.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
cmaier,

Tweet! BS flag thrown...15 yard penalty.

Basic "crappy" phones offer random crashes?

Maybe on the crappy Palm OS phone, but I've used hundred of "regular" phones from Nokia, Motorola, Samsung,Sanyo, SE, and other and they never "crashed".

I can only remember one time where I had to remove a battery to reset a "regular" phone.

I think Surur hit it on the head...new functions will come out when Apple can make more money on them.

I think you missed the joking tone of that stream of posts, but I'll respond.

And, yes, I was primarily referring to palmos, since that's the main platform i've used for the past 7 or 8 years (with a brief WM interlude - which also crashed a lot).

One of my palmos phones WAS a samsung, and it crashed all the time too :) (The other was a kyocera, and it was fairly stable).

As for "new functions ..when apple can make money," so? More features = more potential buyers, so any time they add a feature they potentially make money. Same reason microsoft and nokia and everyone else adds features. When apple added "always bcc me" in the 1.0.1 update, it was hardly a direct revenue stream for them, after all.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Home page is non-customizable it seems, yet another drawback. Some icons are unnecessary to be showing at all times. Again a minor annoyance, but it's the small things a $600 phone is missing that irks me. $400-$450 is what the iPhone is worth IMO, just due to all the basic things missing.

Plus note, build construction seems excellent.

I've previously posted my frustration that I can't add, for example, favorite phone numbers or web sites to the home screen. Seems so obvious...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Its amazing the ecosystem of third party software which has already built up around the hacked iPhone, including software by large companies like voicesignal. Its almost like Apple is being side-lined in iPhone development, and I think there is a danger that a large proportion of users (like 20 percent) will refuse to give their now much improved devices.

Surur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods