10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
"incredibly great internet experience" and EDGE surely do not go together.
True but because we have wifi, we at least know what it would look like if it was 3G.

In my market, AT&T is promoting their PC Card but they are silent on speed.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
why can't you control it in your pocket? that's what the button on the earphones is for, no?
ff::rw::stop::play from your pocket? I just think hard buttons are really good for transport controls personally. I know they only put one button on there for the dumbest among us and for style too I guess, but I would rather they had just used more buttons.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
would additional buttons have made you a buyer? hec, if you like buttons, run out and get yourself a Mogul, it has tons of them!

3rd party apps would have made me a buyer. I bought a Treo once they announced there would be no sanctioned 3rd party app support. But this is about it being the best iPod ever, and I would say a standard iPod is a better music player because of the buttons and storage, so that isn't really accurate IMO. It is the best mobile phone media player by far though.

That said, my first iPod (rev2) came with transport controls on a dongle that plugged into the headphone jack, with a nice little clip. My wife uses it now and I haven't gotten an iPod replacement (beyond my Palms). Why didn't they just include something like that? Are they still shipping those with new iPods? I would consider that more 'buttons' as it would nicely serve the purpose.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i see. you said you would have preferred more buttons but now answer with the 3rd party apps response. so i take it that you would prefer more buttons and 3rd party apps. since the iPhone only has a couple of buttons and no third party apps i suppose it's not for you.

there are many devices out there with "lots of buttons" that allow 3rd party apps. i suspect you own one of those.

ff::rw::stop::play from your pocket? I just think hard buttons are really good for transport controls personally. I know they only put one button on there for the dumbest among us and for style too I guess, but I would rather they had just used more buttons.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site

I agree to the extent that more controls would be nice; I assume someone, at some point, will come out with a remote like the one for ipods. Personally I tend to play/stop/skip, which is all you can do with the current button.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
i see. you said you would have preferred more buttons but now answer with the 3rd party apps response. so i take it that you would prefer more buttons and 3rd party apps. since the iPhone only has a couple of buttons and no third party apps i suppose it's not for you.

there are many devices out there with "lots of buttons" that allow 3rd party apps. i suspect you own one of those.

No, you don't see (that's not surprising really). You asked if more buttons would have made me a buyer, which isn't my primary reason for not buying an iPhone. 3rd party app support (or the lack of it) was what determined it for me. I was stating that from my perspective it wasn't the greatest iPod Apple ever made, because of the limitations with the UI, specifically lack of buttons. Since I don't buy phones primarily to play music it wouldn't bug me much that it was lacking buttons (for the iPod functionality anyway). But I would prefer more buttons as I think the reasons Apple included only one button were rather silly, ie. for dumb people who get confused easily and for style over functionality.

I'm not looking for something necessarily with 101 buttons but 2 to 4 more would have been handy.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
No, you don't see (that's not surprising really). You asked if more buttons would have made me a buyer, which isn't my primary reason for not buying an iPhone. 3rd party app support (or the lack of it) was what determined it for me. I was stating that from my perspective it wasn't the greatest iPod Apple ever made, because of the limitations with the UI, specifically lack of buttons. Since I don't buy phones primarily to play music it wouldn't bug me much that it was lacking buttons (for the iPod functionality anyway). But I would prefer more buttons as I think the reasons Apple included only one button were rather silly, ie. for dumb people who get confused easily and for style over functionality.

I'm not looking for something necessarily with 101 buttons but 2 to 4 more would have been handy.

Looking at the dissected iphone photos, i think the real reason there's only one button is lack of space.

By the way, you are clear on the fact that the button on the headset does pause/play/skip?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
By the way, you are clear on the fact that the button on the headset does pause/play/skip?

Yeah, add skip backwards and it would be much better, ie. lots of times while listening to music I get interrupted and then want to restart a song. Anyway it isn't the end of the world or anything.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
i think the remote is the best way to go (they still sell them for ipods, but don't pack them in i think). If the phone is in your pocket, buttons or not, it's hard to hit the controls.

I hope they come out with one that works on the phone; maybe sept.8 when they announce the new ipods.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
3rd party apps would have made me a buyer. I bought a Treo once they announced there would be no sanctioned 3rd party app support. But this is about it being the best iPod ever, and I would say a standard iPod is a better music player because of the buttons and storage, so that isn't really accurate IMO. It is the best mobile phone media player by far though.

That said, my first iPod (rev2) came with transport controls on a dongle that plugged into the headphone jack, with a nice little clip. My wife uses it now and I haven't gotten an iPod replacement (beyond my Palms). Why didn't they just include something like that? Are they still shipping those with new iPods? I would consider that more 'buttons' as it would nicely serve the purpose.

How come you never get the point? Surur restated Jobs' claim on the 3 things the iPhone would bring 1. best cellphone 2. best iPod and 3. best mobile internet...

Braj is obviously disputing statement 2 by showing that previous iPods do the job better with larger storage and more control via buttons/clickwheel..

YOU ask him if he'd have bought the iPhone if it had buttons (completely off-topic from his original post), he says no he wants 3rd party apps first ...and you some how extrapolate that to his saying it's no the best iPod? I'm glad you're rich (as you allude to) because if you ever have to go to court you'll need a lawyer!

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
How come you never get the point? Surur restated Jobs' claim on the 3 things the iPhone would bring 1. best cellphone 2. best iPod and 3. best mobile internet...

Braj is obviously disputing statement 2 by showing that previous iPods do the job better with larger storage and more control via buttons/clickwheel..

YOU ask him if he'd have bought the iPhone if it had buttons (completely off-topic from his original post), he says no he wants 3rd party apps first ...and you some how extrapolate that to his saying it's no the best iPod? I'm glad you're rich (as you allude to) because if you ever have to go to court you'll need a lawyer!

please read before commenting.....i wasn't commenting on anything Surur said but a direct response from Braj....i had responded to Surur's comments many posts earlier. Braj made a comment regarding having wished that the iPhone had "more buttons". and what is it with your stupid comments regarding to "being rich" and "needing a lawyer"? have you lost your mind? calm yourself......and please stop with the false remarks (" rich as i allude to?????) unless you'd like to have the same done unto you. and why are you responding? was anything addressed to you? have you been enjoying too much of what the carribbean has to offer or has the hurricane left you dizzied? lay off. :evil: :shake:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Ah yes, WiFi. I've used Palms for so long I'd forgotten about Wifi! :cry:
I argued here that we did not need Wi-Fi for Treos. 3G is ubiquitous and fast enough. I use Sprint/EVDO for my PC to the exclusion of WiFi (except at home).

As an iPhone/EDGE user I am finding that WiFi is much more widely deployed and useful than I would have expected. Most of the WiFi that my iPhone discovers is closed but there is still enough that is open as to be useful.

While the impact of WiFi on battery life is noticeable, at least with the modern chips in the iPhone, battery life is not the excuse that Palm would have had us believe.

tirk

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
I argued here that we did not need Wi-Fi for Treos. 3G is ubiquitous and fast enough. I use Sprint/EVDO for my PC to the exclusion of WiFi (except at home).

As an iPhone/EDGE user I am finding that WiFi is much more widely deployed and useful than I would have expected.

I know what you mean, I'm changing my mind a bit on this one too. Since moving to an unlimited data plan I've been amazed how much I use data services in places like my house & client's offices which have WiFi networks available, rather than walk to another room to use a PC.

I'd still choose 3G over WiFi given the choice though, as that is still far more widely available.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't give up wi-fi for 3G (though I'd like both). Other than when I'm in my car, pretty much everywhere I spend time has open wi-fi (my office, my house, the places I have lunch, clients offices, etc.) That covers the vast majority of time spent on web/email functions each week. It helps that AT&T hotspots are now free.

I'm finding I have wi-fi even in places where I have absolutely no at&t signal (for example, the interior portions of my offices) and where, presumably, HSDPA would be spotty at best.

I'd probably even be happy with Edge if it was more consistent. I'm in silicon valley, but there are still a lot of places where I find no (or slow) Edge, or where the "E" shows but I can't connect to anything. When it does work, I find it to be good enough for casual web browsing and email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW