10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Man, do you people actually read the threads SUrur pastes, or just his introductory blurb? You honestly are equating me asking what advantages native IM has other than alerts to someone asking why you would want more ringtones? It's not like I was saying "shut up and enjoy your web IM." I really wanted to know what the actual advantages are, since, as I pointed out, I use web IM on my PC.

And how many times in this and other threads have I said that "no third-party apps," no cut and paste, etc. sucks? Now suddenly I'm Archie.

Personally, I was talking about the folks over @ macrumors.com, not cmaier. This is where most of his quotes come from. And I don't read this thread too much, when I come on the board I usually just read the last page of it. This threads too big to do any more than that IMO. So if you did say something that directly opposes what I said, then so be it. If not, then my post doesn't apply to you.

If I wanted to talk about you I would quote you.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
ah, I remember when that happened with my 650. I just left the house and jumped on the train and turned on my 650. It kindly did a soft-reset on it's own and lost all my databases. Now all my registered programs were expired trials and I lost just about everything. Good times. lol

Ah yes, there was a point where this would happen daily...PITA with volumecare and esp RINGO installed. My phone would start ringing with the default ringtone and I knew it happened lol. Thank God for backupman, or backupbuddy, whichever allowed you to restore single files.

Good times indeed lol

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I dont think I have ever seen such a stream of disappointed iPhone users...

- apple i hate you right now

prda 08-22-2007 04:24

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

apple i hate you right now

i was hoping there would be a fix for some of the major problems with the iphone in the new update but what a shocker, there is not one.

a few fixes i want to see.

1) flash viewing
2) codex for quicktime so you can view other movie formats. ( i get a clip in email, from a friend and can not view it becouse it's not an apple format. windows player can view any format why can't apple.)
3) if your not going to let us get sms messages make the text messge viewmymessags ( whatever it is) a clickable link that takes you to the pic, not some long username and generated password.
4)let me customise my phone, i am ok with not placing 3rd party programs on it. fine keep it locked an just use your programs but let me arange the icons on it the way i want, i am the user. let me set ringtones enen if i have to use itoons but it's my phone. ( why can't i set the colors, fount,layout and back ground the way i want. what will it do something to the phone if i customize it, i have to do it just like apple wants or nonthing. i think i paid $600 for it, let me use it i will not brake it)

( sorry for the rant but i was let down by the update. i have to say i love the phone and the few probles i have are just that. a few problems. i think the phone is grate.)

( 8-22-07 just used phone with wifi to look at some of jobbs's speaches about the phone. well they are on the net but i had to search around for about 15 min's to find one the phone would view. apple's speaches and i can't view it without finding a straming page. why apple why do you ban anything but apple files. ) ( oh and vista hates the iphone as well but i can beat vista with a stick and make it play nice.)

BIGMERF 08-22-2007 04:42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i agree, it sucks..even 1 of the 4 you mentioned would have been nice just to show us something

soulweaponry 08-22-2007 04:48

Agreed. And on top of that, nobody really seems to even know what the update is for. When are we going to get updated features apple? Picture messaging, voice dial, something! Especially mms. It was embarassing the other day telling my buddy about my $600 phone and when he wanted to send me a pic,
having to tell him that my phone doesnt do it.

DeanFX4u 08-22-2007 04:49

nice first post btw :)

MNTwinsFan 08-22-2007 05:00

I'm really disappointed with the iPhone too.

Apple, please don't send updates on "bug fixes'", but send updates on features we need!

dawgbonez 08-22-2007 05:26

they seem to be incompetent...

I work in R&D of software development....we prioritize on BUGS......and have them handled and released within good time....at least the shortest time possible....dependant on code/bug....

I hate Apple....they are are too into their selves...IMO...

Cizan 08-22-2007 06:37

Did all of you guys know this update was coming? Id take it as a pleasant surprise then anything

prda 08-22-2007 06:46

updates are as apple puts it "every 2 weeks"....well apple likes to say there will be one every 2 weeks.

you can bet there will be regular update for about 4 more months, apple may be retarted in some reguards but they will not let activity die out on a new produck they are pushing. after about another 4 months apple will slack off on updates posting things about how programing setbacks and wating for other companies is why they have not released any updates and start sending them once every 3 months

flyingdutchman 08-22-2007 06:55

Originally Posted by prda
i was hoping there would be a fix for some of the major problems with the iphone in the new update but what a shocker, there is not one.

a few fixes i want to see.

1) flash viewing
2) codex for quicktime so you can view other movie formats. ( i get a clip in email, from a friend and can not view it becouse it's not an apple format. windows player can view any format why can't apple.)
3) if your not going to let us get sms messages make the text messge viewmymessags ( whatever it is) a clickable link that takes you to the pic, not some long username and generated password.
4)let me customise my phone, i am ok with not placing 3rd party programs on it. fine keep it locked an just use your programs but let me arange the icons on it the way i want, i am the user. let me set ringtones enen if i have to use itoons but it's my phone. ( why can't i set the colors, fount,layout and back ground the way i want. what will it do something to the phone if i customize it, i have to do it just like apple wants or nonthing. i think i paid $600 for it, let me use it i will not brake it)

( sorry for the rant but i was let down by the update. i have to say i love the phone and the few probles i have are just that. a few problems. i think the phone is grate.)

Why on earth would you buy a phone based on the hope of upgrades through software? Apple has never really promised to release any features through software updates, and even if they did, I would not believe it until they show up on the phone. #1, 2, and 4 were all known limitations of the phone well before you bought it. The iPod has the same video restrictions, what makes you think Apple will change things now?

I don't mean to jump all over you, but I am tired of people assuming that Apple is going to release all of these new features through an upgrade and then berate them when they don't Apple has never said there will be anything more than bug fixes, unless I missed something somewhere along the line.

dawgbonez 08-22-2007 07:03

uggghhh....it just doesn't seem to get any better....

from day one...my IPhone has been a nightmare(2 days to activate)....

can anyone of you not make me feel as stupid for buying an undeveloped phone for a rediculous price?

or at least lie to me and say that there will be updates galore....that will make the phone 20th century-like? with video teleconference and such...you know...like make use of a sweet high res screen...and stuff....

I'm just joking of course...

:lolup:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1226441

Surur

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
There is a lot of talk about how frequently people replace phones, but just look how many Treo 650 users there still are. They will be able to ride the SD train for a long time to come still.

Surur
Well, I am certainly still a 650 user. However, if you had asked me two years ago if I would be I would have laughed. I was confident that Palm would offer 650/GSM users an upgrade path other than Windows. As it often is, Palm is sure that it knows better than its customers what is good for them. However, I have good reasons for sticking with POS and GMS. I have good reasons for avoiding WM.

To show you how naive I am, I was confident that AT&T and T-Mobile would have rolled out and built out 3G networks by now. Some of us never learn.

I have an EVDO card for my PC. I have an iPhone. I will not be coerced by Palm into buying something that I do not want. While many have done so, it clearly has not been enough to make their business strategy successful.

I find it difficult to understand the shabby manner in which Palm has always favored CDMA customers and carriers over GSM but it certainly shows in both their bottom line and their stock price. It amounts to a flawed business plan.

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
So, how's that virtual memory doing?

Surur

It's doing well, actually.

ps auxc command
top command

If you'll just look at the output of that 'ps auxc' command (ps stands for Process Status) shown in the linked image. Anything with a capital S in the 'stat' column has requested FIFO-style pages.

If you'd prefer a VM view from the clouds, hopefully the 'VM' category from the 'top' command link will suffice. The linked image shows 8686 files paged in -- OSX tends to pre-allocate VM quite aggressively. Nothing has been paged out yet; this iPhone was just restored, re-jailbreaked (jailbroken?), and reactivated on a prepaid cingular card this afternoon. If you'd like VM information on the iPhone after it's been in use for a few days/hours, just let me know and I'll gladly provide more information.

And, of course, if you or anyone else has any UNIX/iPhone questions, I'd be happy to dig around for answers. Just PM me or start a new thread.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
cmaier

cmaier,

I will go read the thread.

I agree with your above post...between the "brake", "grate" and "speaches", my English teacher was rolling in her grave.

Interesting you used web based IM. Most people I know use only use Meebo like stuff when they can't run Pidgin. (or Trillian or the native client).

(btw, that Pidign is developing into a nice app.)

I still think web only apps will fail (if the only option on iPhone. Sun tried this route on desktop 15 years ago and got creamed. (That company is a true embarassment.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
cmaier,

I will go read the thread.

I agree with your above post...between the "brake", "grate" and "speaches", my English teacher was rolling in her grave.

Interesting you used web based IM. Most people I know use only use Meebo like stuff when they can't run Pidgin. (or Trillian or the native client).

(btw, that Pidign is developing into a nice app.)

I still think web only apps will fail (if the only option on iPhone. Sun tried this route on desktop 15 years ago and got creamed. (That company is a true embarassment.

In my case I use googletalk embedded in the gmail web client, so it's just more convenient - that, and my current and previous employers lock down the PC's pretty hard, so it's tough to install software, and often the port is blocked (whereas web-based IM generally sticks to :80 or :443, which are usually open).

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site

ps auxc command
top command

If you'll just look at the output of that 'ps auxc' command (ps stands for Process Status) shown in the linked image. Anything with a capital S in the 'stat' column has requested FIFO-style pages.

If you'd prefer a VM view from the clouds, hopefully the 'VM' category from the 'top' command link will suffice. The linked image shows 8686 files paged in -- OSX tends to pre-allocate VM quite aggressively. Nothing has been paged out yet; this iPhone was just restored, re-jailbreaked (jailbroken?), and reactivated on a prepaid cingular card this afternoon. If you'd like VM information on the iPhone after it's been in use for a few days/hours, just let me know and I'll gladly provide more information.

And, of course, if you or anyone else has any UNIX/iPhone questions, I'd be happy to dig around for answers. Just PM me or start a new thread.

Thanks, Mike. I had entirely forgotten about the Terminal app and ssh. Both those screenshots are pretty clear - definitely virtual memory.

Does "df ." return 8GB? And any idea where it puts the page file? (/dev somewhere?)

Also, does OS X use the BSD virtual memory subsystem, or a modified one?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Yeah, the incredibly LAME ones Apple saw fit to provide you with. :thumbsdn:

I would like the option to have a $500-$600 phone ring as I want it to! Just like my phones that costs even less allow you to!

i understand what you are saying, and as i said, "it does seem stupid" that the iPhone doesn't allow for such. (although some have trouble understanding that). but in truth, they do allow you many ringtone options, just not ones that you might like. if a $500-$600 device doesn't do as you desire, don't buy it. it really is that simple, right? i'm sure customized ringtones will be offered at some point in time, and if they cost money to acquire, then so be it. remember, you have freedom of choice, nobody's hand is being forced into buying anything. just because the iPhone is selling at $500+ doesn't mean that it won't have its limitations. i'm sure you would agree in that most all devices have their shortcomings one way or another.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Man, do you people actually read the threads SUrur pastes, or just his introductory blurb? You honestly are equating me asking what advantages native IM has other than alerts to someone asking why you would want more ringtones? It's not like I was saying "shut up and enjoy your web IM." I really wanted to know what the actual advantages are, since, as I pointed out, I use web IM on my PC.

And how many times in this and other threads have I said that "no third-party apps," no cut and paste, etc. sucks? Now suddenly I'm Archie.

I don't think Patty was specifically talking about your IM comments, more like ollie I do believe. I don't think that was directed at you at all.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I don't think Patty was specifically talking about your IM comments, more like ollie I do believe. I don't think that was directed at you at all.

or perhaps the people at macforums but i understand that you must continuosly dig to get yet another barb in there. give it a rest man.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
I bought a very simple program for 10 bucks on brighthand that allows me yo chop up mp3s and send to my iPhone as a ringtone in 2 very easy steps. No hacking, no programming, nothing needed to be done to the phone. Its my only 3rd party app LOL, and it works very well. I only wish the iPhone speaker was better

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

ps auxc command
top command

Actually its suspicious that there is nothing paged out. Please load a few large web pages and let us know what happens.

Surur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox