10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Even an iphone user such as myself can admit that it is pretty sad to see all of the fanboys stick up for obvious drawbacks.

Who would want a native IM client? LOL

Why would you want more ringtones? LOL

Or the classic....Why did you buy it ASSUMING you would be able to do these things that EVERY OTHER PHONE does? <---My favorite.

Thanks Patty for your honesty.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
There is a lot of talk about how frequently people replace phones, but just look how many Treo 650 users there still are. They will be able to ride the SD train for a long time to come still.

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
There is a lot of talk about how frequently people replace phones, but just look how many Treo 650 users there still are. They will be able to ride the SD train for a long time to come still.

Surur

I think it's reasonable to want to replace a $50 phone very frequently, but a $600 phone should have some legs.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

Was that our own cmaier calling it nonsense that someone wants real apps instead of web apps?

Sure the guy was a bit vocieferous, but hey, for $600 and a locked carrier for 2 years, I think you have the right to be.

I think the update wiping people's phones will be a bigger issue as time goes on...I lose all my contacts, etc. without a backup and I am one pissed camper.

But you know what, you shouldn't be upset - because it's just a toy. A pretty toy, no doubt, but still a toy.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com

Surur

I'm not so sure about that. I'm sure manufacturers look at SD cards now as a storage device for digital cameras primarily. Almost every new phone in the last 3-4 years use mini or micro cards.

Sure people still have 650's, and I believe the 680 uses standard SD cards as well. I still think cameras are the primary destinations of SD cards now.

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
I think the update wiping people's phones will be a bigger issue as time goes on...I lose all my contacts, etc. without a backup and I am one pissed camper.

But you know what, you shouldn't be upset - because it's just a toy. A pretty toy, no doubt, but still a toy.

SO FAR, the only issues reported have been with those who have hacked their phones. And you ALWAYS have outlook on your PC as a backup for the important stuff.

As far as a toy, you can say that if it makes you feel better. I still use it more than my treo, after 2 months now, and I never attempt to belittle the Treo by calling it a brick, toy, obsolete (in many ways), etc. The treo can be so much more than what it is, just check other phones on the market. The same could be said about the iphone, obviously. But we live with what we have, and I choose to live with the iPhone. Believe me, when I need Slingbox, I use the Treo. I even keep it in my car most of the time so I can switch the SIM real quick. But it rarely happens, even after I put wm6 on the Treo.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Sure people still have 650's, and I believe the 680 uses standard SD cards as well. I still think cameras are the primary destinations of SD cards now.

Sure, SD cards (and even CF cards) are saved by the huge camera market, but that does not really make a difference to their usability and availability, and in fact the huge size of pictures these days give a great impetus for increasing capacity and speed, and the large market helps prices go down, so devices with SDHC card slots are in an amazing win-win situation.

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Well, there is one way to deal with critisms... ignore it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/printthread.php?t=340337

Surur

Give me a break, Surur. The guy was speaking in hyperbole. Anyone who's used pickleview, fumbleview, beejive or iphone-meebo or the like knows that not all web apps are "garbage." And he started out by blasting some poor guy for posting a link to a game he wrote, and he hadn't even tried the game.

A lot of web apps are of questionable value, but the guy just kept spouting more and more vague generalizations while refusing to discuss the details of the app he was talking about. If you posted the entire thread people would see that I suggested if he was trying to make a political statement about lack of 3rd-party API support, that's fine, but he should avoid picking on a poor guy who was just trying to supply a free game to iphone users.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Why would anyone want native Apps? To some, the answer comes to mind rather easily.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=342307

Surur

Surur, please don't misquote me by implication. I didn't say "why would anyone want native Apps?" I desperately want native apps, and, in fact, I'm early in the process of writing one (and, off-topic, the unpublished iphone sdk's are quite elegant compared to palm or windows. i really hope they make these official).

My only question was about a native IM client since, as I pointed out, I always, even on a PC, use a web-based IM client. I had already pointed out the obvious issue with integration into the alerts system, and I was honestly wondering if there were other reasons a native IM client would be preferable. (Personally, if my phone/computer is off, i don't WANT people to see me on-line for IM, so having it run only when the browser is running is okay for me, but that's just me. Note - it continues to run in background tabs, so it's an issue of whether the phone is in standby or not. And, as pointed out in the thread, some of the clients don't disconnect you on standby - they just mark you as away).

If you read the thread, the only reason they came up with for a native IM app is the reason I mentioned - integrating it into the alerts. I guess "faster UI" (but i'm not sure what they mean - it's pretty instantaneous in meebo-iphone), and multitasking (i'm not sure on that - it seems to me that meebo stays running and working when i leave the browser, but, of course, when an incoming chat comes in i don't get an alert).

One they left off is integration into the contacts database.

Anyway, my question was legitimate, and you mis-summarizing is pretty weak.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Was that our own cmaier calling it nonsense that someone wants real apps instead of web apps?

Sure the guy was a bit vocieferous, but hey, for $600 and a locked carrier for 2 years, I think you have the right to be.

Mike, why don't you read the whole thread to see what I actually said. Some poor dude makes the effort to write a game and provide it for free to iphone users, and some idiot calls it garbage and mouths off, without ever even trying the game. It was uncivilized and uncalled for. As I pointed out to him, if he wants to blast Apple for not allowing 3rd party apps, that's one thing, but don't pick on a poor guy who is just trying to make the best of what we currently have to work with.

By the way - I've applied a total of 4 updates to my 2 iphones (2 each) without losing any data at all. I updated my treo 650 twice and lost no data either. However my treo lost data all on its own at least 4 times (I'd turn it on and find it had mysteriously reverted to factory defaults). I'm guessing the iphone problems are not very widespread beyond people who've jailbreaked (i've been following the boards at least as closely as surur). If it happened to me, I'd be pissed, but as long as it isn't happening very often, I don't expect much of a backlash - it took years of unreliability PLUS complete lack of innovation and constantly changing marketplans before it caught up to Palm :)

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'm not so sure about that. I'm sure manufacturers look at SD cards now as a storage device for digital cameras primarily. Almost every new phone in the last 3-4 years use mini or micro cards.
Indeed. So you just buy a micro or min and use the free adapter you usually get with them.

I use an mini-SD exclusively on my 700wx but it's in the SD adapter. Looks and works the same.

I'll probably bump to micro-SD soon if these 16gb chips are out in the next 8 months or so to get a bit of a price drop. I feel confident microSD will be around for awhile and adaptable to any device I use.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Surur, please don't misquote me by implication. I didn't say "why would anyone want native Apps?" I desperately want native apps, and, in fact, I'm early in the process of writing one (and, off-topic, the unpublished iphone sdk's are quite elegant compared to palm or windows. i really hope they make these official).

So, how's that virtual memory doing?

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
However my treo lost data all on its own at least 4 times (I'd turn it on and find it had mysteriously reverted to factory defaults).
ah, I remember when that happened with my 650. I just left the house and jumped on the train and turned on my 650. It kindly did a soft-reset on it's own and lost all my databases. Now all my registered programs were expired trials and I lost just about everything. Good times. lol

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Indeed. So you just buy a micro or min and use the free adapter you usually get with them.

I use an mini-SD exclusively on my 700wx but it's in the SD adapter. Looks and works the same.

I'll probably bump to micro-SD soon if these 16gb chips are out in the next 8 months or so to get a bit of a price drop. I feel confident microSD will be around for awhile and adaptable to any device I use.

I just bought a 4GB SDHC microSD card for ?33 (about $55 without tax). Really nice.

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
So, how's that virtual memory doing?

Surur

As soon as I know, I will let you know. (More accurately - I will let you know what happens when one tries to allocate more than 128MB or RAM. It occurs to me I should also fill the block and try reading it back to make sure it is really allocated.)

I don't have a mac yet, so "early in the process" means REAL early in the process. I've gone and learned objective-C (a very different beast than C++, which is what I'm used to) and i've got the various header files that show me the iphone API, but while I've started coding stuff up, I can't yet compile it for real. (At least not the parts that hook to iphone's sdk).

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
ah, I remember when that happened with my 650. I just left the house and jumped on the train and turned on my 650. It kindly did a soft-reset on it's own and lost all my databases. Now all my registered programs were expired trials and I lost just about everything. Good times. lol

Sounds like you had the only-slightly-less annoying prefs.db (or whatever it was called) issue. I got to the point where I'd back it up each day onto SD so I could copy it back when it got corrupted. Can't even count how many times that happened.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Even an iphone user such as myself can admit that it is pretty sad to see all of the fanboys stick up for obvious drawbacks.

Who would want a native IM client? LOL

Why would you want more ringtones? LOL

Or the classic....Why did you buy it ASSUMING you would be able to do these things that EVERY OTHER PHONE does? <---My favorite.

Man, do you people actually read the threads SUrur pastes, or just his introductory blurb? You honestly are equating me asking what advantages native IM has other than alerts to someone asking why you would want more ringtones? It's not like I was saying "shut up and enjoy your web IM." I really wanted to know what the actual advantages are, since, as I pointed out, I use web IM on my PC.

And how many times in this and other threads have I said that "no third-party apps," no cut and paste, etc. sucks? Now suddenly I'm Archie.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
As soon as I know, I will let you know. (More accurately - I will let you know what happens when one tries to allocate more than 128MB or RAM. It occurs to me I should also fill the block and try reading it back to make sure it is really allocated.)

I don't have a mac yet, so "early in the process" means REAL early in the process. I've gone and learned objective-C (a very different beast than C++, which is what I'm used to) and i've got the various header files that show me the iphone API, but while I've started coding stuff up, I can't yet compile it for real. (At least not the parts that hook to iphone's sdk).

Surely some-one will be able to answer this question in 5 minutes. Why dont we know yet? Cant you ask some-one in the iPhone development community?

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Surely some-one will be able to answer this question in 5 minutes. Why dont we know yet? Cant you ask some-one in the iPhone development community?

Surur

I don't actually know anyone in the non-web-iphone app development community. Nor do I know where they hang out :) There's a woman who posts a lot of stuff on tuaw that could probably do the experiment. I'm not sure if there is a forum where the hacker-coders hang out; the only developer place i know is the webapps google group, but those guys don't talk about jailbreak stuff.

The people I know at apple are not talking.

I would have had an answer for you, but the macbook pro i ordered is delayed, apparently due to extreme backlog.

If anyone knows anyone with a toolchain and a jailbreak-ed phone, I'm happy to provide C code to test the memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative