10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
well

If you've got the time, I've got the beer.

I've never heard of breaking antenna being a big issue with Treos. Obviously, dropping them in and of itself can cause damage, but I've heard more about cracked screens on Treos than antennas.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
If you've got the time, I've got the beer.

I've never heard of breaking antenna being a big issue with Treos. Obviously, dropping them in and of itself can cause damage, but I've heard more about cracked screens on Treos than antennas.

So, you've heard or haven't heard that treo antennas break off?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
So, you've heard or haven't heard that treo antennas break off?
I've never heard of it.

That does not imply that I don't think it can or that it hasn't, just I don't recall seeing it mentioned. I also haven't seen that with the 6700 either (though Shadowmite famously sawed his off in a bizarre experiment). I'm sure someone has experienced this, heck someone had their 700wx go through the laundry and survive :eek:

Back to the iPhone (and I'm surprised Surur hasn't picked up on this):

Facebook
launched an iPhone version of their website recently.

Q: If the iPhone is the real internet ("not the watered down or mobile version"), why did Facebook need to create a specially formatted version for the iPhone (with the exceptions that "you can't edit your profile, upload snapshots to your photo page (as you can with Helio phones), or tinker with any Facebook apps")

Q2:
Will we see more "web apps" aka specially formatted websites for the iPhone in the future? If so, how is that different from the instantiation of "m." sites e.g. m.facebook.com?

Q3: What does this mean for my long-held assertion that sites formatted for mobile devices are preferable over the "full site"? Will iPhone users not use them out of principle? (okay, that last one is rhetorical).

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Perfectly sensible but I understand that you must belittle others to maintain your status.

My 'status'? Are you loony? That I think you are totally FOS most of the time has nothing to do with my 'status'. How important does posting on a forum make you feel? (I personally feel like a big ol geek and am not proud to waste so much time on the web over essentially nonsense. I must hide this dorky behavior or face persecution from my wife even. Tech forums are not 'cool' IMO and seeking status here is the ultimate of pittiful dork. I hereby relenquish any status that may have been inadvertantly thrust upon me :D)

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
literacy...

oalveraz,

I said "I've never heard of breaking antenna being a big issue with Treos".

I'm not sure why that was not clear enough.

But to answer you question, I have never heard of a Treo antenna breaking off. I have seen one with a tiny fissure, but basically cosmetic.

Go ahead and post all the thread of broken Treo antennas.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
oh yea

Oalveraz, I'll save you the time. Search for "broken antenna" on TC.

Review the threads...there are maybe 6 people who have dropped the Treo and had the antenna break off due to a drop. And that's since the Treo 600.

Wow...that seems like such a big problem (at least with according to the search).

Next time you want to assert some tripe, I suggest you be ready to back it up.

(Archie, is that you?)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
iPhone users feeling stupid ... I thought that was their natural state...

Akira1980
macrumors member

Join Date: May 2007 I am waiting for Apple to relase the update that will enable ringtones through iTunes. Funny thing is that people expect the custom ringtones on the iPhone. And when I tell them iPhone doesn't have it. They are like, . And the next few words are, "But doesn't it sync with iTunes?" And I have to tell them although it syncs with iTunes and play all the songs, the songs can not be used as ringtones. I feel kind of stupid everytime I have to repeat that.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=343994

Surur

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
iPhone users feeling stupid ... I thought that was their natural state...
And I have to tell them although it syncs with iTunes and play all the songs, the songs can not be used as ringtones. I feel kind of stupid everytime I have to repeat that.
It would probably be easier to explain pending "gender reassignment" surgery than to explain why your music/entertainment phone can't use the music it's designed to play as its own ringtone! :confused:

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
It would probably be easier to explain pending "gender reassignment" surgery than to explain why your music/entertainment phone can't use the music it's designed to play as its own ringtone! :confused:

Yep, that is just STUPID that it doesn't allow that.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
the thing is that some users out there could care less if they could assign their latest boyz to men clip to their ringers. it might seem stupid that the iPhone doesn't allow for such but customized ringers beyond what the iPhone already offers seems almost sophmoric in my opinion. but i do understand that some out there might want that option so either they would have to wait for an update or keep what they currently have.

they're ringtones for crying out loud......

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
the thing is that some users out there could care less if they could assign their latest boyz to men clip to their ringers. it might seem stupid that the iPhone doesn't allow for such but customized ringers beyond what the iPhone already offers seems almost sophmoric in my opinion. but i do understand that some out there might want that option so either they would have to wait for an update or keep what they currently have.

Actually, the real issue is not whether people feel if they are necessary or not (a diversion from the issue) but rather that there is no real reason offered as to why such a simple feature is absent. It's not as if the iPhone is incapable of doing this it just was not implemented, presumably on purpose (does anyone really believe Apple spent years making this and the topic of ringers never arose in development?)

Fact is, even the simplest flip phones have this feature and people have become very accustomed to it (it's even a big money maker). With 4-8gb of music, it is not surprising to for people to connect the dots between their music and ringers, noticing something missing that their $50 old phone could do.

The big question though is of $$: IF Apple enables this in the future, will it be open or iTunes restricted e.g. you have to buy each ringer. I presume the latter.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Update 1.02 is out...

Get ready Surur for 1.02 stories (even Engadget lost their backup) :evil:

iphone-1-0-2-error.jpg

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site

See, this is why you get called an appologist. :rolleyes:

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

3 things:

-Oalveraz silent on his Treo antenna breaking assertion, I supposed admitting he got his bluff called by asserting a falsehood.

- Apple update comes out...just bug fixes.

- Apple selling refurb units, $100 off. This to me is big news, indicating they are not selling as many as thought and getting a lot of returns. Who sells refurb phones, esp after being out less than two months? (I know Sprint gives them as warranty replacements...) I think this is a downscale move by Apple, but I guess we will see.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site

Personalized phones anyone? And yes, they're important to some for that very reason. And also to assign different ringtones to different callers.

No other manufacturer seems to have a problem letting people personalize their phones. Usually it's the carrier who does the stupid DRM thing with your ringtones, which makes me wonder if ATT and Apple(since they own DRM iTunes) together didn't have a hand in this deliberately, meaning that feature was left out on purpose.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
3 things:

-Oalveraz silent on his Treo antenna breaking assertion, I supposed admitting he got his bluff called by asserting a falsehood.

- Apple update comes out...just bug fixes.

- Apple selling refurb units, $100 off. This to me is big news, indicating they are not selling as many as thought and getting a lot of returns. Who sells refurb phones, esp after being out less than two months? (I know Sprint gives them as warranty replacements...) I think this is a downscale move by Apple, but I guess we will see.

Is that true, refurbs for $100 off? Those may be returns that were cleaned up, but if they're in good shape, not a bad deal for the 4GB.

Some people have started selling their used one for $100 off on CL also.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I don't think the refurb iPhones are any indication of bad sales etc. Apple always offers refurbs, I bought an iPod refurb'ed when they were selling like hotcakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro