10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
92% of iPhone owners are satisfied with their phone.

http://forum.phonedifferent.com/showthread.php?t=150841

As Antel0pe saw fit to dig up a thread in remission, I though some more horror stories about the iPhone would make a good counterpoint.

luckystrikeed
macrumors newbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOLY CRAP !!!

Ok, so I was reading the new on iphones and ran into the $ 5000.00 bill from the guy in the UK. Then I checked my bill online. Yup screwed !!
I'm in Canada, and was only supposed to be here a week or so. Prior to coming down though I tried to add the international features to my phone as I travel about 4-6 months of the year. AT&T said I was ineligible to get that feature as my account was new I had to wait 90 days. I explained to them that I live off my phone and needed the service for the discounted rates. I even told them that I would be happy to pay a $ 2000 deposit and they sould cut me off anytime if I exceeded that amount !!! (Even though I already paid $ 500 as a deposit to even activate the phone !!!) They said pretty much too bad so sad !! So a ask them excatly what my costs were going to be and how much everything was going to cost. NO MENTION OF ANYTHING WITH THE DATA PLAN !!!!
So my bill was like $ 700 in roaming usage $ 90 / month plan $ 160 in SMS (LOVE THAT !!) and $ 1200 in data usuage....

I WANT TO KILL MYSELF !!!!

I called AT&T and explained that this makes no sense. I got escalated to a great supervisor - Elma, she's putting it to international department and see if anything gets done....

PRAY FOR ME PLEASE !!!
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4057577&postcount=30

I sure hope the iPhone does not lead to some-one's death, but I really would not be surprised....

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Like in so many other areas, iPhone photo management falls apart if you look to closely.

- - Low quality images on the iPhone???

bobert83 08-16-2007 05:46 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Low quality images on the iPhone???

Recently I sent my friend a beautiful image I took in Yosemite of Vernal Falls. He uploaded to his iPhone and showed it to me about a week later. I know I sent him a full resolution photo, but when he zoomed "all the way in," the image was most definably lacking in sharpness. Many details were not visible on the iPhone, that could be seen in the original file. Is this an isolated incident? Is there an option in iTunes/iPhoto that sizes them down?

DotComCTO 08-16-2007 08:47 PM

iTunes scales it for the iPhone. I suppose that allows you to put lots of photos in a limited space. They look ok while not zoomed in, but fall apart otherwise.

--DotComCTO

HiRez 08-17-2007 01:09 AM

It really should be an option in iTunes (iPhone prefs), whether to optimize the images, or better yet specify a maximum dimension in pixels and/or file size to optimize to(that way if you have some 8 megapixel images they can be reasonable). Because the iPhone has the zoomin capability, there really is a good reason to support higher-resolution images.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=342854

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
So is the iPhone memory constrained or not? Certainly looks like it...

- - Secret to increasing iPhone Stability? Coverflow

mobilehavoc 08-15-2007 18:45

Secret to increasing iPhone Stability? Coverflow

This may or may not work for anyone except me but over the last week I've been conducting some personal tests of my iPhones stability when doing certain things. All of these tests were done after a power cycle so they should be valid.

Basically I noticed sometimes my iPhone would be rock solid for days if not over a week and sometimes Safari/iPod would start crashing immediately along with the other usual problems.

I realized a lot of the problems I have such as apps crashing and most common (Safari pages being blank and having to reload) are most likely related somehow to memory.

I figure the most memory intensive app on the iPhone is most likely Coverflow in iPod. On my PC iTunes usually takes up 60-70MB of memory but when using coverflow that can sometimes balloon to about 300-400MB!!!!

So in my tests I used Coverflow in some and not at all in others and for me when not using Coverflow I had in some cases NO CRASHES at all or any issues!

When I used Coverflow things deteriorated really fast.

So for those having these common issues, power cycle your iPhone and try using EVERYTHING you normally use except Coverflow. Please report back with your findings.

BIGMERF 08-15-2007 18:58

im dumb!!! whats coverflow?

mobilehavoc 08-15-2007 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGMERF
im dumb!!! whats coverflow?

When you're in iPod app on your iPhone and you turn it horizontally so you can see all the Album covers and flick through them.

Same as in iTunes...called Coverflow.

leonowj9 08-15-2007 19:09

I noticed the same thing right after the first update. My phone only crashes after using coverflow.

BIGMERF 08-15-2007 19:13

so you saying never to use it? how do you disable it? and how does it affect safari? i rarely listen to the ipod and ive only used coverflow like 3 times but my safari crashes a whole lot

mobilehavoc 08-15-2007 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGMERF
so you saying never to use it? how do you disable it? and how does it affect safari? i rarely listen to the ipod and ive only used coverflow like 3 times but my safari crashes a whole lot

Doesn't matter how many times you used it, just using it once will screw up that "session" meaning until you power-cycle your iPhone to clear memory next.

No way to disable it per se, but it's easy to avoid - just don't tilt your iPhone horizontally when using the iPod and it won't ever be triggered.

The difference for me is quite amazing. For the last 2 hours I've had 3 tabs in Safari open...Google Reader, JiveTalk and iPhone.Facebook.com and they're all still there with no issues (no blank pages, no crashing). During this time I've listened to music, used Google Maps, stocks, weather, taken 3 phone calls.

And boom it's all still there. Meanwhile when I used Coverflow, things would go downhill immediately.

xgman 08-15-2007 19:51

Great, so what other features should we NOT use. This is getting rediculous.

cmatthews 08-15-2007 19:52

I use coverflow everytime I use the ipod portion of the iPhone, I don't have stability problems with mine, yes the pages have to reload when I open Safari but not a big deal for me. Only place I have ever had Safari crash was on HoFo but it doesn't seem to do that anymore now.

I'm going to try not using coverflow for a week or so and see how things go.

JerryNY 08-15-2007 22:32

Yeah same here, I use coverflow all the time and don't have any problems. I also got a couple of Safari crashes on HoFo but they don't seem to occur anymore. Maybe it is a problem with coverflow and 5 series LCD's :p

cmatthews 08-15-2007 23:07

As to the issue with the Safari pages going blank, I soft reset my phone every night to wipe out anything I have done during the day. Today I had 3 web pages open, haven't used the iPod app at all today, 30-40 minutes later when I opened Safari again, 2 of the 3 pages were blank again and had to reload. Maybe it depends on the pages and how much memory they use, but there has to be more to it than just coverflow being the problem. Have you tested using the Photos app to see how it affects Safari and other things in the memory.
Something else, others have stated that their music stops playing when using Safari, this has also never happened to me.

RufusRyker 08-16-2007 01:06

I use coverflow without experiencing any crashes. However, I wonder if certain graphic files might contribute to the problem you were having. Where did you download your cover images from? Perhaps, like with fonts, some of the files are corrupted.

hard_core 08-16-2007 04:17

what about doing the "hold down the home button for ten seconds to fully close an app" thing?

Use coverflow for a min, then use safari for an hour to see if it crashes

Calculon 08-16-2007 22:15

Hmmm... Coverflow causes no problems on my iPhone. How much memory is used in your 'Other' category?

I'm assuming this is where the album cover images are stored.

Buk 08-17-2007 04:00

Re: Secret to increasing iPhone Stability?

After seeing the name of the thread I decided to give it a whirl. I've got an 8 GB model MA712, serial number starts with a 7 and I have about 431 MB of space yet available.

Started the iPod application, thumbed through coverflow, picked song and thumbed through cover flow. Launched Safari, no problems. Back to coverflow and repeat. Still no slow downs or crashes in Safari.

Although I only have about 75 covers to thumb through.

mobilehavoc 08-17-2007 04:12

It might be because of the number of songs I have or something. I haven't used Coverflow since I posted this and it's been ROCK solid. Safari hasn't given me the white page or made me reload once..I've had 3 tabs open the whole time including Jivetalk which is amazing. I've taken phone calls, used google maps, weather, stocks, youtube, everything and Safari is going strong. Also used iPod to watch videos, listen to music.

Still working perfectly. Maybe it's a combination of the amount of songs (all with album art - around 4GB (700 songs). Also a lot of the album art was added by a third-party app - Fixtunes.

I'm just going to keep this up and see how long I can go without a problem! :D
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1222546

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
As Antel0pe saw fit to dig up a thread in remission, I though some more horror stories about the iPhone would make a good counterpoint.
In that spirit here's a bit of the ChangeWave data :)

iphonesatisfaction1.jpg

http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/44709

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
In that spirit here's a bit of the ChangeWave data :)
iphonesatisfaction1.jpg
http://ce.seekingalpha.com/article/44709

To be fair:
The Alliance survey was conducted July 18-25, 2007, less than a month after the iPhone?s release

I expect that lots of people were elated right after purchasing. I wonder what the results of the poll would be now, expecially if they got a few of the people with $5000 phone bills in the sample group.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
To be fair:

I expect that lots of people were elated right after purchasing. I wonder what the results of the poll would be now, expecially if they got a few of the people with $5000 phone bills in the sample group.

Hopefully people's satisfaction with the iPhone wont mirror Apple's post-iPhone stock price slump.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
To be fair (again) I think other factors are at work regarding everyone's stock price lately.

I dont think there was a good case for Apple's stock rising by 50% in 6 months in the first place, so with a possible recession looming and luxury spending likely to be impacted, Apple may be very misplaced in the market.

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I dont think there was a good case for Apple's stock rising by 50% in 6 months in the first place, so with a possible recession looming and luxury spending likely to be impacted, Apple may be very misplaced in the market.

Surur

Yep, I doubt many unemployed persons will spend $600 on a cel phone.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
5th

Saw my fifth iPhone in the wild the other day...they are coming of their dark pockets.

Can't wait until some of these $5,000 cell phone bills get on the news.

I wonder what the update this month will hold...

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
ouch..

I guess that iPhone is bit slippery. Saw my 6th in the wild yesterday, and this woman was talking on it, and then as she was putting it away in her purse, it slipped and fell onto the pavement.

The screen was cracked, and she just let out this sad "oh sheet" (except the profane version).

I felt bad for her, as I have dropped a phone or two.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
at least it didn't need a new antenna stub!

The thin rubber sleeve I have on mine works well. The grippiness of the material has its plusses and minuses but it surely would have protected the screen in her case.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
It's not that hard to comprehend, Braj. You surely have read about antenna stubs being broken off of Treos and the like when being dropped. And that's not to mention the peeling chrome paint and soft plastic that gets chewed up. Nothing more, nothing less.

Um ok? Funny

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
It's not that hard to comprehend, Braj. You surely have read about antenna stubs being broken off of Treos and the like when being dropped. And that's not to mention the peeling chrome paint and soft plastic that gets chewed up. Nothing more, nothing less.

Um ok? Funny

It follows your typical nonsensical 'defense' of the iPhone by bashing the Treo. Given the fact that no new Treos ship with stub antennas I don't really see any real point in the comment either. This wasn't even a criticism of the iPhone, only mikec mentioning he swaw one break, which I'm sure sucked for the owner. Your comments border on the rediuculous.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
many think a lot less about the Treos both old and new. I'm not defending the iPhone but rather poking fun at the Treo just like the fun that is being had making fun of the iPhone. I own both and feel more than justified when speaking of either one.

Perfectly sensible but I understand that you must belittle others to maintain your status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2