10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Those natives are getting restless again. I guess after a while paying $600 for an under-featured phone starts chaffing a bit...

- - Send pics from iPhone to another Phone?

Jokerboy649 08-08-2007 01:49 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Send pics from iPhone to another Phone?

is there anyway to send pics from my iPhone to another phone like through a text message?

The Apple 08-08-2007 01:55 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not to my knowledge. But you can always use email. That's free!

thesaint 08-08-2007 02:03 AM

you can use bluetooth right!!!

RTpics 08-08-2007 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesaint (Post 74783)
you can use bluetooth right!!!

Nope no transfer via BT

iFun Girl 08-08-2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

is there anyway to send pics from my iPhone to another phone like through a text message?

I assume you mean MMS? Click below and read the last post:

http://www.everythingiphone.com/foru...-mms-8095.html

Silverado 08-08-2007 01:05 PM

No MMS, No Bluetooth. It's the iPhone way.

I'm learning that this is Apple's way (used to know this in theory but now I am learning it in practice). Things are closed unless Apple wants to open them. Reasons for not opening things could range from business reasons to software to hardware reasons.

The strangest thing about this is that the true Apple fans don't seem to question it much. There is a "Steve knows best" mentality and if Steve didn't give it to us yet then there must be a good reason.

This is not a criticism as I have absolute freedom to move away from the iPhone and I own it by choice. These are simply observations.

greenjbhsd 08-08-2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

The strangest thing about this is that the true Apple fans don't seem to question it much. There is a "Steve knows best" mentality and if Steve didn't give it to us yet then there must be a good reason.

I have been an Apple user since 1990 (and I am also an 98/XP user since about 1999). So far I have not been pleased with what is missing from the iPhone, including mms. The little gig he had yesterday actually is making me think there is not much on the way for the issues/features that people are requesting or pointing out. So far, for me, Steve is not going in the right direction. The phone right now is "fine", nothing more then that. I am part of the group that is praying (I assume this group exists) that Steve gets his head out of his orifice on the back side of his body and gets into current times.

Silverado 08-08-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenjbhsd (Post 74981)
I have been an Apple user since 1990 (and I am also an 98/XP user since about 1999). So far I have not been pleased with what is missing from the iPhone, including mms. The little gig he had yesterday actually is making me think there is not much on the way for the issues/features that people are requesting or pointing out. So far, for me, Steve is not going in the right direction. The phone right now is "fine", nothing more then that. I am part of the group that is praying (I assume this group exists) that Steve gets his head out of his orifice on the back side of his body and gets into current times.

But what could be done about it to bring more attention to the fact that so many people are quietly hoping and assuming some things will come?

Skipper 08-08-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

But what could be done about it to bring more attention to the fact that so many people are quietly hoping and assuming some things will come?

just quietly hack the crap out of your phone :laugh2:
We needed steve for the iphone, but sooner or later hackers will finish the job(s). The list of things needed to be fixed and things fixed by hacks are looking more and more alike. Apple seems to be stubborn, and I dont feel like pretending they own me and/or my phone. :angry:

greenjbhsd 08-08-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverado (Post 74996)

Right now nothing more than what is being done. We have the feedback site which appears many of us send info to on a regular basis, plus any reviews that come out of the papers or the Mac publications. I just wish there was feedback from Apple at least telling us what we can expect over time. Not looking for a time line, but would be nice to know what features they intend to implement so we at least have something to look forward to.

Silverado 08-08-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipper (Post 75053)
just quietly hack the crap out of your phone :laugh2:
We needed steve for the iphone, but sooner or later hackers will finish the job(s). The list of things needed to be fixed and things fixed by hacks are looking more and more alike. Apple seems to be stubborn, and I dont feel like pretending they own me and/or my phone. :angry:

Grrr... Wrote a long response on the iPhone then Safari crashed and I lost it.

We shouldn't let apple off the hook that easily. My question is what does Apple listen to, if anything?

lymn 08-08-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverado (Post 75147)
Grrr... Wrote a long response on the iPhone then Safari crashed and I lost it.

We shouldn't let apple off the hook that easily. My question is what does Apple listen to, if anything?

You can send images to friends with MMS compatibles phones, but you need to know which carrier they are on.

AT&T:
9998887777@mms.att.net (numbers are your friends cell#)

Silverado 08-08-2007 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lymn (Post 75183)
You can send images to friends with MMS compatibles phones, but you need to know which carrier they are on.

AT&T:
9998887777@mms.att.net (numbers are your friends cell#)

Thar'a right, but my comments were about the larger issue of simple, common features that are missing, like copy/paste, saving photos from email, sending/receiving photos by Bluetooth, etc, etc. Some people seem sure these will come, but there are no real signs that Apple even thinks anything is missing.

lymn 08-08-2007 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverado (Post 75239)
Thar'a right, but my comments were about the larger issue of simple, common features that are missing, like copy/paste, saving photos from email, sending/receiving photos by Bluetooth, etc, etc. Some people seem sure these will come, but there are no real signs that Apple even thinks anything is missing.

MMS actually kinda sucks in the US... It is all done via gateways and is really confusing... Some companies don't allow other companies to send mms to their customers. AT&T is the only carrier which has good MMS network, which is kinda funny that they don't use it on the iphone...

Ya... the more I think about how stupid apple is for doing this stuff -- the more I just don't want to think...

iFun Girl 08-09-2007 12:15 AM

Quote:

My question is what does Apple listen to, if anything?

Their profit margins.

mlass 08-09-2007 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenjbhsd (Post 74981)
So far, for me, Steve is not going in the right direction.

...and that is one reason why Apple will always be one step behind the rest.

Apple hasn't shown me anything that they even care of what people think.

That is also why M$ made fun of Apple before the iPhone came out. M$ sells alot of phones every year and Apple had sold none.

Eiko 08-09-2007 02:06 AM

There's a VERY simple fix for everyone who's here complaining...
Take the thing back and live happily ever after. Maybe do a little research before making a major purchase next time, hey, it'll save a LOT of space on the internet.

neo 08-09-2007 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eiko (Post 75392)
Take the thing back and live happily ever after. Maybe do a little research before making a major purchase next time, hey, it'll save a LOT of space on the internet.

WOW that was helpful...you contributed alot to this thread:laugh2:

Eiko 08-09-2007 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neo (Post 75395)
WOW that was helpful...you contributed alot to this thread:laugh2:

So how is it helpful filling-up every forum on the web with the identical complaints about the phone? It ALL could have been avoided with some simple reading before "getting in line" to buy one. No?

1. "Apple Forgot" to add "so-and-so" feature. Does ANYONE really believe they "forgot" or "didn't know"? There's a reason and WAY too many wanna-be industrial designers / UI engineers out here trying to figure it out and pasting their half-cocked, second guessing ideas and even conspiracy theories. Be patient. Or... TAKE IT BACK.

2. My phone won't do "X". Read number one.

3. Everything else, Read #2 and #1, wash, rinse and repeat.

neo 08-09-2007 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eiko (Post 75398)
So how is it helpful filling-up every forum on the web with the identical complaints about the phone? It ALL could have been avoided with some simple reading before "getting in line" to buy one. No?

1. "Apple Forgot" to add "so-and-so" feature. Does ANYONE really believe they "forgot" or "didn't know"? There's a reason and WAY too many wanna-be industrial designers / UI engineers out here trying to figure it out and pasting their half-cocked, second guessing ideas and even conspiracy theories. Be patient. Or... TAKE IT BACK.

2. My phone won't do "X". Read number one.

3. Everything else, Read #2 and #1, wash, rinse and repeat.

Now that's better:laugh2: I wasnt disagreeing with you i feel the same way now you backed what you were saying with some reasoning. I love the iphone but it does get annoying asking people to email you pics instead of mms , seems i just end up not getting anything. Hopefully it will get fixed in an update. There are just too many good things about the iphone to leave it

mlass 08-09-2007 02:54 AM

Quote:

I researched it for 6 months and was number 1 in line, but from alot of reviews you can tell people want MMS. All I am saying is that I haven't seen anything that shows Apple EVEN CARES about what people think. They won't even mention anything about the future of the product (bugs, fixes, new feature, 3rd party).

For me at this time, it's an iPod with email. Even with alot of missed calls I am still happy to sit at work to watch movies and listen MP3's all day.

Eiko 08-09-2007 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neo (Post 75413)
Now that's better:laugh2: I wasnt disagreeing with you i feel the same way now you backed what you were saying with some reasoning. I love the iphone but it does get annoying asking people to email you pics instead of mms , seems i just end up not getting anything. Hopefully it will get fixed in an update. There are just too many good things about the iphone to leave it

Right on ... I actually LIKE using the iPhone. First phone I've had (probably 20+ over the years, WM, BB, Treo, et al ) that I can say that about. Sure, there are some things I might use if they were there, but the fact is, I knew what I was buying before I laid down the cash.... kinda simple school of thought there. I knew what I was getting and therefore I'm happy. What it does, it does better than anything out there.

IF they release more goodies... cool! But I won't spend every waking hour waiting for it, posting about it, guessing, dreaming, etc., etc. I keep coming to the boards HOPING there might be a tid-bit of info about the phone worth reading, just doesn't happen very often and it's nothing but ENDLESS freakin' whiners going on about what it doesn't do, as if someone FORCED them to buy the dang thing.....

Eiko 08-09-2007 02:58 AM

Quote:

I haven't seen anything that shows Apple EVEN CARES about what people think.

Are you serious? Look at ANYTHING made by Apple. Their desktops make EVERYTHING else look like some cheapo Chinese knock off. OPen a G5/Pro tower and tell me that don't care. I got to mess with the new iMac today... INSANE attention to detail/quality.

Point is, they damn sure do care... they just don't announce updates/fixes before it's released. Never have.

Arcangel2176 08-09-2007 03:48 AM

I believe it will all come in updates just to keep weenin us like heroin addicts till the next iphone is ready in 09:tounge::wink:

Silverado 08-09-2007 07:57 AM

Quote:

This is silly for Many reasons:

1. Read my first post in the thread. I said that I know it's my choice and I choose to use the iPhone. However I will not apologize for trying to get my vendor to support my needs better.

2. How else would apple know what people want if they don't ask for it?

3. There is a simple solution for you: stop reading threads that don't only praise the iPhone.
http://www.everythingiphone.com/forum/iphone/send-pics-from-iphone-to-another-phone-8260.html

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
More of Apple's handcuff-like handholding.... Apple's way or the highway?

- - Not optimize photos?

mogz 08-08-2007 03:02 AM

Not optimize photos?

Is there any way to do this in the iphone? i know you can put full resolution photos in the ipod...

iphonenotify 08-08-2007 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogz (Post 74807)
Is there any way to do this in the iphone? i know you can put full resolution photos in the ipod...

You may be able to put full resolution photos on the ipods drive, but you cant view them. The only way to view high resolution photos would be in safari.

DiscoJoey 08-08-2007 03:20 AM

nope if you put .tiffs or .psd's i heard it doesnt compress them. i havnt tried it out but im pretty sure its correct.

mogz 08-08-2007 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscoJoey (Post 74815)
nope if you put .tiffs or .psd's i heard it doesnt compress them. i havnt tried it out but im pretty sure its correct.

Tried it. Doesn't work...

DiscoJoey 08-08-2007 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogz (Post 74823)
Tried it. Doesn't work...

really? both tiff and psd?

mogz 08-08-2007 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscoJoey (Post 74826)
really? both tiff and psd?

Yup both tiff and psd. :(

mactigger 08-08-2007 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mogz (Post 74807)

You know, that is really weird. I was just thinking about this today. I used to be able to show a photo on the iPhone and zoom in with the "pinch" and it would be so clear. Now after I updated to 1.01 (or whatever, the new update), it seems that my photos are really grainy when you zoom in and only look good in the normal view. Anyone else with this problem??

DiscoJoey 08-08-2007 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mactigger (Post 74897)
You know, that is really weird. I was just thinking about this today. I used to be able to show a photo on the iPhone and zoom in with the "pinch" and it would be so clear. Now after I updated to 1.01 (or whatever, the new update), it seems that my photos are really grainy when you zoom in and only look good in the normal view. Anyone else with this problem??

what file types are the files? i have a feeling that psd's and tiff's didnt get optimized before the update.

stewcp 08-08-2007 09:54 AM

The only way I know is to attached the hi-res photos to a bookmark and use safari to view it... see this link for full details and script: http://www.insanelygreattees.com/news/?p=51

mogz 08-08-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mactigger (Post 74897)

Now that I thought about it... it is true!
http://www.everythingiphone.com/forum/iphone/not-optimize-photos-8264.html

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
If you go directly to the Samsung website and use the part number, it appears the device has a 50ns read time.

K9MCG08U5M

cmdpreviewinwebbrowserty1.jpg

Anyway, I see no point really in further going back and forth about this. I am sure some-one, in the next few weeks, will be able to clarify this definitively.

Surur

Not sure what your point is. Even if the 50ns is referring to the same figure (not entirely clear - this is marketing info, and is a lot less detailed than the engineering info on the micron site), 50ns is still in the same ballpark (around 40MB/s). Still around a factor of 3 slower than typical harddrives. The write cycle time, however, is atrocious. Definitely would have to do lazy-writebacks, probably buffered.

In any event, yes, the trivial test is for someone with the toolchain to malloc > 128MB.

My only objection is to your cited reasons for insisting their is no virtual memory, not particularly to the underlying contention (though, as I pointed out, the phone *acts* like their is virtual memory, though that's not determinitive.)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
In any event, yes, the trivial test is for someone with the toolchain to malloc > 128MB.

Well, you have an iPhone. You have programming experience. You could do it. I will even agree to believe your results, until I see evidence otherwise.

BTW, would you not find a swap file while browsing the file system?

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I think you are misinterpreting the definition. You are saying that unless a new capability exceeds some level of "coolness" it is not a feature. If you check other dictionaries (for example, m-w.com, oed, cambridge) the primary definition refers to the "structure or form" of something. (In one case they say "a part of" something. In another they say "a typical quality" of something. In a third "part of someone's face that you notice. Even in dictionary.com (which is where answers.com presumably got the answer), "prominence" refers to the fact that if no one could see or experience the new "thing," or no one knew about it, it wouldn't be a feature.

When I initially refered to features, I refered to the things you can do with the phone. Specifications. That's it. I think everyone understood that.

Feature does have a second meaning, which is what you are referring to, but that meaning is not the meaning people generally are talking about when they refer to hardware or software (rather, that meaning is usually reserved to NBC commercials: "This week, in a very special ER featuring Sally Fields...").

Frankly, if they change the software and add new "stuff," what would you prefer me to call it if not a "feature?"

From answers.com

I guess imo (which is what I've been saying all along) it's not prominent enough, and the new button you press is simply software implementation - the same as every hack and web app out there, just that it's officially from Apple. In my opinion it might be a feature but not a prominent one, more like a new function

If you consider that a new feature then OS have new features all the time w/o changing versions, to me its an enhancement of a feature there already and a limited one at that as you need something else for to to work...plenty updates have more than bug fixes for OS X etc but ppl don't term them as new features. Might just be how we use the language everyday but I never hear ppl say things like "OS X Jaguar has a new feature" after loading an update unless it's something distinct like iTunes can now play movies rather than just music.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Well, you have an iPhone. You have programming experience. You could do it. I will even agree to believe your results, until I see evidence otherwise.

BTW, would you not find a swap file while browsing the file system?

Surur

I don't have a mac, and thus have no toolchain or ability to do it. (Though I'm strongly considering it to get in on the hacking fun. I don't need 3rd party software if I'm permitted to create my own).

Yes, there should be a swapfile somewhere. Though it might be on an unaccessible volume or it might be hidden in some other way(Windows is a bit weird in that the swap file is so visible.)

I haven't used BSD since 1996, so I really don't know what it does with the swapfile (I am assuming that iphone shares mac os's BSD roots).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
5 years ahead, or 15 behind?

- - why is bejeweled on the iphone so bad compared to the palm?

brinycbri 08-05-2007 05:38 PM

why is bejeweled on the iphone so bad compared to the palm?

i love my iphone, but my palm played a version of bejeweled 3 years ago that looked, had sound, and had a lot of features..granted that the iphone's bejeweled is through safari, is it that slow and that bad? is this what we have to expect, web games and web apps that are 5 years behind the times?

Me1000 08-05-2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brinycbri (Post 4004428)
i love my iphone, but my palm played a version of bejeweled 3 years ago that looked, had sound, and had a lot of features..granted that the iphone's bejeweled is through safari, is it that slow and that bad? is this what we have to expect, web games and web apps that are 5 years behind the times?

Technically they are about 15 years (give or take)

The desktop application has been out a lot longer than the web!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=337729

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
It may be inconsistent build quality. You get a good one, an acceptable one, or a bad one. I had that problem with Nanos, which is why I gave up on that line. I haven't really seen this problem on the hard drive iPod although other people report it.

For the iPhone, they should have fixed that problem better. But Treos also have inconsistent build quality judging by posts on the entire forum, to be fair.

I also depends on the angle of inpact. Same height, same surface, different angle - one will be fine, one will be toast.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Finally - The solution to Safari crashes...

- - safari crashes: I found the solution

seb481 08-09-2007 02:31 PM

safari crashes: I found the solution

Safari kept crashing on me yesterday, which made me freaking angry. I really didn't know what to do until I remembered this good ol' iPhone is a computer.

So I just rebooted the thing. I held the sleep button for a few seconds, iPhone turned off, and I turned on the phone again.

I then opened safari and tried to crash it again by opening multiple windows but it didn't crash.

I hope this will help some of you.
http://www.everythingiphone.com/forum/iphone/safari-crashes-i-found-the-solution-8359.html

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Here's a short one.

- Can I save photos from email to the iPhone?

jmfbnb 08-09-2007 01:37 AM

Can I save photos from email to the iPhone?

If I get a photo emailed to me can I save it to the Photo Album? If so how do I do this? Thanks for the help.

unity 08-09-2007 08:29 AM

Nope :(
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=339439

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
ha

Yea, that's it...the Foleo is going to be Palm's "iPhone" and save the day.

Somehow, I think that TOA (Turd On Arrival) will not be what saves Palm.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Stock market continues to tumble.

All those subprime mortgage folks will be on the curb in a few months.

But at least they will have their iPhones... :)

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
did the market tumble today or was it just volatile?

which subprime folks do you speak of?

and what do iPhones have to do with it?

pretty silly statement, no?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
How about this for sucking:

This story isn't for the faint of heart. In fact, we wouldn't really recommend it for anybody, but we'll soldier on regardless. Thomas Martel hails from Colorado, and after upgrading to an iPhone, he decided his big hands were just too much of a burden to bear. "From my old Treo, to my Blackberry, to this new iPhone, I had a hard time hitting the right buttons, and I always lost those little styluses," says Martel. So what's a man to do? Why, get those digits downsized, of course. Thomas went under the knife for a new technique called "whittling." The doctors made a small cut in each thumb and shaved down the bones, then they adjusted the muscles and fingernails to fit the new thumb size. Martel's new thumbs look a tad effeminate, and there's always that problem of expense and general discomfort, but he thinks the procedure "will pay for itself in ten to fifteen years. And what it's saving me in frustration - that's priceless." Whatever you say, Thomas.

Not really the iPhone, but the educational system that produces people like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox