10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Expected content of the next 15 posts :

mikec: are you sure you have an iPhone?
mobileman: Liar
mikec: Liar

I think you forgot to include Mal in that one... ;-)

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I asked for an example that shows how people really use the iPhone, not some strange combination of techniques that are not common. Go try an iPhone.

I'm glad to hear that browsing the web is not a "common". What I describe is also what you see in the Apple demo videos.

Maybe it's best you have left the building; the holes you were digging were coming up in Beijing.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Why is it that mobileman had to leave now, when I had just found the perfect post... WHY!!!

CJD2112
macrumors regular

Originally Posted by MisterMe
I don't think that at all. Why should I?

For $600, damn right it should. No video, and that horrible 3 sec or so pause before it actually takes the pic without a visual on screen count down like photobooth.

Let's review a bit:

1) No flash in web
2) No flash for camera
3) No MMS
4) No video recording
5) No chat
6) No 3G
7) No third party apps
8) No custom ring tones (without hack)
9) No insurance for accidental or water damage (hell, my RAZR had coverage with Cingular but NOT my $600 iPhone?!)
10) No removable battery
11) No Bluetooth ObEx
12) No GPS
13) No way to save email attachments/pics on the phone or as wallpaper
14) No home screen customization

and on, and on, and on.

Don't get me wrong, I like the iPhone, but every time someone stops me to ask how I like it, and I tell them "I love it" (c',mon, I'm a Mac guy, I have to save face lol), I feel myself cringe a little each time. For $600, a two year contract and increased monthly fees, all these issues are already corrected/non-existent in most other inexpensive smart phones. Just because it's an iPod and multi-touch screen doesn't give Apple the right in jerking us off with less capabilities.

Says it all, doesn't it?

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
BTW, some more on that legendary build quality...

- - Is your iPhone Bezel Off-Center?

hexagon 08-06-2007 03:18 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is your iPhone Bezel Off-Center?

While examining my iPhone the other day (I was really bored), I noticed the chrome bezel was slightly off-center.

Looking at the bezel face on, I notice that it's off-center to the right by a fraction of a millimeter. There's a clear gap on the left side.

It's not a big deal for me. I have no plans on returning it for such a petty matter. But I'd like to know if other people are having this issue.

Kev1000000 08-06-2007 03:20 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine is the same way.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=338044

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
About as long as Ollie seems to be able to stay away after he gives us his good-riddance?

i believe i suggested both that some of us stop posting here to see how long the thread would continue. i don't remember saying that i was out of here for good but rather being "just about done here." what i don't do is continue with the name calling and labeling that you continuously see from some others, that apparently is ok and many seem to get a chuckle at the expense of others. hey, whatever makes you feel good i suppose.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
i believe i suggested both that some of us stop posting here to see how long the thread would continue. i don't remember saying that i was out of here for good but rather being "just about done here." what i don't do is continue with the name calling and labeling that you continuously see from some others, that apparently is ok and many seem to get a chuckle at the expense of others. hey, whatever makes you feel good i suppose.

Actually you've been quite civilized lately (at least relatively so) so I apologize for the low blow. It was just too easy for me to resist.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
it's important to somewhat else how you feel about Steve Job's comments/supposed comments? huh?

again, not sure what you're after. let consumer america decide for themselves what a product is and what it is not. works for some, doesn't work for others. you say it isn't capable, the other guy says it is. tomato, tomatoe......big deal!!!!!

so silly, really.

Since when does the consumer decide what a device is? The consumer get presented with a package that's already been defined by the manufacturer. It's the producer who says "Here is a new phone", not the consumer who says "but it will be a better paperweight or radio"..and it is a big deal if the producer is spinning a product as "5 yrs ahead" in more ways than it fits (i.e. media phone via TV ads, but smartphone via posters and expos) when the phone only competes well in one area.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
rotflmao

Me: Pinch my nipples.
?Genius?: Excuse me?
Me: Pinch my nipples.
?Genius?: Si..
Me: Pinch my nipples!
?Genius?: Why?
Me: BECAUSE I LIKE TO GET MY NIPPLES PINCHED WHEN I AM GETTING ****ED THAT?S WHY!

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I certainly did not reset the phone once every 2 days. MAYBE once a week, but never felt I had to. Rumors going around now are that its bad for the phone.

Well, my iphone fell and broke the other day. Only speakerphone works. Can't wait to see what Apple tells me tomorrow....I don't have AppleCare so we'll see

I thought that didn't happen (esp after the cnet?PCWorld? damage tests) - exacctly what do you mean by broken and how far did it fall?

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
cut and paste is important to you, but no usable keyboard, a low RES. Screen and slow processor is acceptable?

Cut and paste is important to you but having a phone that you need to use a bluetooth headset with caller id to be able to determine who is calling is acceptable?

:confused: I guess the iPhone was the 1st phone you ever typed on then as the others were "unusable" :rolleyes:

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
You lied about the iPhone not being able to display amazons website well. You lied about other browsers being able to do it better. Im very sure you lied about using an iPhone extensively. Maybe in your next 39 hour mega iPhone testing, you can check amazons website again, and you will see you are clearly mistaken. Any other websites you can think of, that I can test?

:D nhot to "support' MikeC but your lie was "bigger" and I notice you didn't address it in several posts...so did you have a beta-aplha-omega of the jornado or didn't you?

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Ok tough guy, please explain exactly what you mean here...

Please educate us all. I never use two hands when I browse. Are you saying that browsing on the iPhone is too difficult for you?

Using two hands mean one has to hold the device while the other taps or pinches...if you do otherwise it would mean you are holding and tapping/pinching with the same hand. If you discount the hand holding the device then you are missing the point, esp as other devices like treos allow browsing and holding the device with the same hand.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I can pinch to zoom in or out with thumb and index finger while anchoring the iphone on my palm with the other 3 fingers. While it's not the most convenient movement, it's doable, works, and is necessary for 1-handed use in iSafari.

I dunno; maybe your experience has been different than mine, but I haven't had any problems using the iphone 1 handed. I'd say 1 handed thumb typing is actually easier on the iphone than it was on the treo, due to the extra space beneath the bottom of the virtual keyboard.

If you do that regularly I hope you have HUMONGOUS hands or AppleCare:D

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
More build quality issues. I guess Apple wants to keep even more of that $600.

- - build quality
SaleenS351 08-06-2007 08:24 PM

build quality

well i finally exchanged my phone for a bad battery. It was 5 series fyi and i got a 7 series. I did notice the little polka dots on the new 7, but honestly its barely noticable at 50% or lower brightness, no biggie for me. The battery life is much better. However i do notice a build quality issue on the black part on the back of the phone and where the speakers are its not really flush and there are gaps. My question is does the warranty cover build quality?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=338143

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
What? Yahoo push e-mail not real push e-mail after all? And even fakes it poorly too?

- iPhone Yahoo! Mail Not True "Push"

davpel 08-06-2007 20:10

iPhone Yahoo! Mail Not True "Push"

I've become a bit obsessed with getting the mail client on the iPhone working in a more reliable manner and have now become convinced that the much-heralded Yahoo! "push" implementation which Jobs trumpted during his keynote is not actually a true "push" service at all (i.e. it doesn't use IMAP IDLE and apparently doesn't use P-IMAP as some have asserted here). Rather, I believe that the system which is actually in place is something similar to AUTD -- the quasi-push implementation utilized on pre-WM5 devices. My reasoning is based upon the following observation:

Whenever you perform a manual e-mail pull on the iPhone, it automatically pulls mail from ALL mail accounts which the user has created on the device. Currently, I have two accounts set up on my device: Yahoo! and Fastmail. I set the device to check for mail "manually" which is supposedly the correct setting for Yahoo! "push" and which, theoretically, should keep my Fastmail account dormant unless and until I do a manual sync of that account. However, what actually occurs when a new Yahoo! "push" message appears is that I also get any new messages which have been sent to my Fastmail account at the same time. Thus, it would appear that the receipt of a new message in the Yahoo! account triggers the phone (likely with a hidden SMS message) to perform a manual pull on the device, thereby pulling from all accounts.

This might explain why Yahoo! push is so damn buggy (I always hated AUTD and found it completely unreliable).

Any thoughts?

Edit:

Apparently, the fine folks over at Fastmail (say that ten times quickly) have come to the same conclusion. See http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/forum/index.html

This is very disheartening.

cowboy1964 08-07-2007 01:07

Whatever the reason, it flat out doesn't work. May as well consider it to be non-existent.

ubercool 08-07-2007 03:59

It certainly wasn't working this afternoon, so I finally just turned if off and have both of my POP3 e-mail accounts pulled manually from the server. :bulging:

Oh well that's progress, two giant leaps forward, one step backward. :p

GX1 08-07-2007 04:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by davpel
I've become a bit obsessed with getting the mail client on the iPhone working in a more reliable manner and have now become convinced that the much-heralded Yahoo! "push" implementation which Jobs trumpted during his keynote is not actually a true "push" service at all (i.e. it doesn't use IMAP IDLE and apparently doesn't use P-IMAP as some have asserted here). Rather, I believe that the system which is actually in place is something similar to AUTD -- the quasi-push implementation utilized on pre-WM5 devices. My reasoning is based upon the following observation:

Whenever you perform a manual e-mail pull on the iPhone, it automatically pulls mail from ALL mail accounts which the user has created on the device. Currently, I have two accounts set up on my device: Yahoo! and Fastmail. I set the device to check for mail "manually" which is supposedly the correct setting for Yahoo! "push" and which, theoretically, should keep my Fastmail account dormant unless and until I do a manual sync of that account. However, what actually occurs when a new Yahoo! "push" message appears is that I also get any new messages which have been sent to my Fastmail account at the same time. Thus, it would appear that the receipt of a new message in the Yahoo! account triggers the phone (likely with a hidden SMS message) to perform a manual pull on the device, thereby pulling from all accounts.

This might explain why Yahoo! push is so damn buggy (I always hated AUTD and found it completely unreliable).

Any thoughts?

Edit:

Apparently, the fine folks over at Fastmail (say that ten times quickly) have come to the same conclusion. See http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/forum/index.html

This is very disheartening.

I'm having the same issue with Yahoo and Gmail. In addition, if I send an email from Gmail. I will receive the same email in my Gmail Inbox. :confused:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1216812

Surur

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
If you do that regularly I hope you have HUMONGOUS hands or AppleCare:D

The iPhone is still under warranty. I don't need AppleCare until the standard warranty runs out, and I can buy AppleCare up to 364 days after the initial purchase if I think I'll need it. This isn't really a phone I'm worried about dropping.

regarding hands, guilty as charged :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox