10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Can somebody please decipher what this means. MikeC, just because something sounds logical in your head while you are typing it, doesn't mean the rest of the world will understand.

It was in context to the post from Surur.

Just because you have comprehension problems, don't think everyone else does.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Your definition of "almost" or "a little" must be "plus or minus two standard deviations" ;-)

The site looks good, but again, the navigation is gesture intensive (for me). I'm not saying it's horrible, just more work.

I would agree (as I said in the other posts), the site itself looks good, and mobile Safari renders the "normal" pages better than any other device. (i.e. more accurate to what I see on a PC screen).

MM, you continue to call me a liar, when in fact you the only only who has lied. I offer opinions, which are not lies. You make impossible claims (like the Jornada 560 being 8 years old and buying one before it was released, which are lies.) You can continue to be a tool in your posts, but it will not make you correct.

I'm sure people can decide on their own with the iPhone.

I'm not sure if the iPhone sucks, but I certainly can tell some iPhoniacs do.

Sorry Mikey, but if you claim that the amazon website is gesture intensive, then you are "LYING". I have it infront of me now, on my iPhone. A quick double taps fits it to screen perfectly. Far better than any other browser available. Try again dude, maybe you can run down to your local apple store and try to find a website that doesnt look so good and report back here.

You can add this time to you 39+ hours that you claimed to test. Hilarious and pathetic all at the same time.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
You lied about the iPhone not being able to display amazons website well. You lied about other browsers being able to do it better. Im very sure you lied about using an iPhone extensively. Maybe in your next 39 hour mega iPhone testing, you can check amazons website again, and you will see you are clearly mistaken. Any other websites you can think of, that I can test?

Again, you have a reading comprehension problem.

I never said it did not display well (I actually said the contrary), but rather that it was one examples of the gesture intensiveness of the iPhone (good or bad; some people are fine with it, others are not.)

I never said other browsers do it better (again, I actually said the contrary)

Did that Jornada receipt get lost, or are you ready to apologize? You do it so well for Apple, maybe you could apply it to your own actions.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Sorry Mikey, but if you claim that the amazon website is gesture intensive, then you are "LYING". I have it infront of me now, on my iPhone. A quick double taps fits it to screen perfectly. Far better than any other browser available. Try again dude, maybe you can run down to your local apple store and try to find a website that doesnt look so good and report back here.

You can add this time to you 39+ hours that you claimed to test. Hilarious and pathetic all at the same time.

Hey, just calling it like I see it. It is gesture intensive (this includes taping and touch, as well as finger movements). The whole interface is designed that way. That is fact, and not a lie.

Now, it is matter of opinion whether it is too gesture intenstive for a person or not.

It is a lie to claim I said something that I did not. But why I am telling you...you already have that skill mastered.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Again, you have a reading comprehension problem.

I never said it did not display well (I actually said the contrary), but rather that it was one examples of the gesture intensiveness of the iPhone (good or bad; some people are fine with it, others are not.)

I never said other browsers do it better (again, I actually said the contrary)

Did that Jornada receipt get lost, or are you ready to apologize? You do it so well for Apple, maybe you could apply it to your own actions.

I will look for the jornada receipt. I was working on wall street on 9/11. When I walked up town on that terrible day, I remember the one thing I didn't worry about getting dust on was my jornada, because it had an amazing built in hard flip, to cover the screen. Still the best ever made in my opinion. I'm sure once I find the receipt and post it here, you will claim I photoshoped it anyway.

As for the amazon website, if double tapping to fit to the screen almost perfectly is "gesture intensive", than I don't even no what to say anymore. Makes me wonder what your 39+ hours testing the iPhone was wasted on.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Re: website that are issues; I'm not sure that I said "don't format well" (I could be wrong), but the rendering lends itself to a _lot_ of gesturing, doubletapping, and so forth. Amazon for one.

The sites look good, but the navigation less something to be desired.

Again, it's not so much the web site, but the interface/rendering. It's nice, but still makes browsing a very active exercise (compared to other smartphones).

so does this mean you prefer using scroll bars and a d-pad to navigate through a webpage (that you can't even see the entirety of)?

just askin'

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Again, it's not so much the web site, but the interface/rendering. It's nice, but still makes browsing a very active exercise (compared to other smartphones).

Double tapping the screen, is a very active excercise? How the other smartphones compare is clearly want exposes your lies. Back to the apple store for you for some more testing.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
so does this mean you prefer using scroll bars and a d-pad to navigate through a webpage (that you can't even see the entirety of)?

just askin'

Clearly MikeC finds constant scrolling of a website that look like garbage on his low res screen, over having to do a quick double tap. Do people now see here that MikeC doesn't know much about the iPhone and has lied about using it extensively.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i have an iPhone and a Mogul in front of me. when trying to browse on the Mogul i continue to want to "double tap" and "flick" but obviously can't. when i resort to having to use the scroll bars (my finger can barely get to them) and the d-pad i immediately think "how prehistoric" that method is. but hey, that's just me.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I will look for the jornada receipt. I was working on wall street on 9/11. When I walked up town on that terrible day, I remember the one thing I didn't worry about getting dust on was my jornada, because it had an amazing built in hard flip, to cover the screen. Still the best ever made in my opinion. I'm sure once I find the receipt and post it here, you will claim I photoshoped it anyway.

As for the amazon website, if double tapping to fit to the screen almost perfectly is "gesture intensive", than I don't even no what to say anymore. Makes me wonder what your 39+ hours testing the iPhone was wasted on.

Well, the press release was date 9/6/2001, and availability was in Oct. Some Brighthand folks has their 565 and 568 in late Sept.

(I think you had a different model number (520/540?) and are misremembering, but whatever - a simple clarification (apology?) would suffice, but no, you get all huffy.)

The fact that 9/11 has worked it's way into this thread is amazing...

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Anyone who has used an iPhone knows web browsing is a two-handed experience (for the most part).
Lie

I don't know what sites you vists and what your definition of browsing is, but doing it one handed is awkward and not easily doable.
A clear lie.

Web browsing, which everyone heralds, is actually sorta frustrating - first, the full page view is too tiny, and the zoom-in, finger drag or flick to view the page. There is a lot of gesturing needed just to read through a page.

Coming from using a D-Pad to scroll up and down and scroll left/right, it's definitely more work.

An outright lie.

MikeC, admit it, you have never used an iPhone.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Well, the press release was date 9/6/2001, and availability was in Oct. Some Brighthand folks has their 565 and 568 in late Sept.

(I think you had a different model number (520/540?) and are misremembering, but whatever - a simple clarification (apology?) would suffice, but no, you get all huffy.)

The fact that 9/11 has worked it's way into this thread is amazing...

Thats how I remember I had one. Why is that amazing? Dont think I ever owned any other HP but the 568. We shall see when I find my receipt though. Will you be big enough to admit you are wrong, or will you claim I photoshopped it? Could it possibly be I had my jornada, a few weeks before somebody else on the brighthand board got theirs?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I had a HP 568. I loved that metal flip cover. I could never understand why no other PDA maker thought to offer that some convenience. HTC Universals come with a metal cover BTW, which means no need for a case.

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

just askin'

Do I prefer it? Hmm...I prefer that Jessica Alba come over and clean my house in a bikini, but I doubt that will happen.

But to answer your question (which I am taking as just straight questions, unlike your initial repsonse to my straight questions to you on the Mogul):

I prefer the d-pad for going up and down (I'm talking navigation, not implementation; ex. on WM5, the isn't always as smooth as I would like, which forces use of scroll bars. The scroll bars are okay. I wish they were more adjustable (outside of the registry hack). I think Snappermail actually had this interface done well (not web, obviously), but made the distinction between stylus mode and finger mode.

Even on the iPhone, you don't see the whole site (but more than you do on some other devices. I dislike having to gesture around to get where I need to go.

So I prefer the way the iPhone web browser looks, but not the navigation. And I definitely don't like it over EDGE (over wifi is fine).

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I had a HP 568. I loved that metal flip cover. I could never understand why no other PDA maker thought to offer that some convenience. HTC Universals come with a metal cover BTW, which means no need for a case.

Surur

Agreed, the metal flip was awesome. I wish the iPhone had something like that. I loved my jornada.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Double tapping the screen, is a very active excercise? How the other smartphones compare is clearly want exposes your lies. Back to the apple store for you for some more testing.

Tap-tap-scroll-drag-drag-scroll-tap-tap-scroll-scroll-drag, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Yes, it's gesture intensive (to me.)

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Clearly MikeC finds constant scrolling of a website that look like garbage on his low res screen, over having to do a quick double tap. Do people now see here that MikeC doesn't know much about the iPhone and has lied about using it extensively.

Please do not presume to know what I prefer. I already replied to ollie's post. You can comment on that it you like.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
i have an iPhone and a Mogul in front of me. when trying to browse on the Mogul i continue to want to "double tap" and "flick" but obviously can't. when i resort to having to use the scroll bars (my finger can barely get to them) and the d-pad i immediately think "how prehistoric" that method is. but hey, that's just me.

You may have a point on the d-pad...maybe it is location dependent? It's very easy and useful in the middle of the Treo, but maybe not so on the Mogul? I've played with the Mogul for a while, and do notice the shift of it being lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.