10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I also prefer higher resolutions, but there is nothing magical about 480x320. Its only double 240x320. Ive had a VGA-screened device since 2004 (PDA and then pda-phone).

240x320 has become something of a standard, and its widely used by many phone manufacturers, both dumb and smartphones. Its going to be around for a long time.

Personally, for me next device, I am moving up to 800x480.

Surur

There is ofcourse nothing magical about 480x320, but it's miles better than 320x240. I know you dislike the iPhone, but even you can admit (if you ever actually seen one in person) that the hi-res screen of the iPhone blows away any 320x240 WM screen.

I dont care that 320x240 is the standard, I wont ever use it again. It just looks bad compared to the newer hi-res screens.

Even the mighty Kaiser will still be 320x240. No thanks.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
There is ofcourse nothing magical about 480x320, but it's miles better than 320x240. I know you dislike the iPhone, but even you can admit (if you ever actually seen one in person) that the hi-res screen of the iPhone blows away any 320x240 WM screen.

I dont care that 320x240 is the standard, I wont ever use it again. It just looks bad compared to the newer hi-res screens.

Even the mighty Kaiser will still be 320x240. No thanks.

I dont dislike the iPhone. I am just unimpressed. Its not the same thing.

e.g. 320x480 impresses you greatly. I find this odd because palmos pda's have been running at 320x480 for more than 5 years, and of course for me it would be a step down from 640x480, when I am looking to step up.

The iPhone is a very nice device, but its not a technological marvel, and its not 5 years ahead. I would say its at least a year or two behind.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
e.g. 320x480 impresses you greatly. I find this odd because palmos pda's have been running at 320x480 for more than 5 years

Palm OS devices have had it for over 5 years, yet almost every WM device is still stuck in the lower 320x240. That is my point.

What palm OS cellphone has 480x320?

, and of course for me it would be a step down from 640x480, when I am looking to step up.

Sorry, but I'm not dragging around the hulking HTC universal. Its not a cellphone, its a mini-laptop.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Why is the resolution of this device the same as my old jornada 560?
Cost? At a guess I'd say HTC probably reasoned that the target market wouldn't need and/or wouldn't want to pay the premium for the higher-res screen. The next (rectangular) resolution up that WM supports is 640x480 and 2.8 inch screens with that resolution are certainly made.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Cost? At a guess I'd say HTC probably reasoned that the target market wouldn't need and/or wouldn't want to pay the premium for the higher-res screen. The next (rectangular) resolution up that WM supports is 640x480 and 2.8 inch screens with that resolution are certainly made.

I dont buy it, as Surur said, higher-rez screens have been around for years.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Palm OS devices have had it for over 5 years, yet almost every WM device is still stuck in the lower 320x240. That is my point.

This is a poor point, as I certainly have a VGA-screened device, so it cant be so rare. Many PDA WM devices have VGA screens, there are a number of VGA-screened phones around, and more coming with 800x480 resolution.

Most WM devices have small 2.8 inch screens, where VGA screens would be very expensive, and add only little benefit. Small VGA screens are quite rare.

Sorry, but I'm dragging around the hulking HTC universal. Its not a cellphone, its a mini-laptop.

Funny, it makes phone calls and fits in my pocket. I could have sworn it was a cellphone.

Anyway, the point I am making is that the screen resolution by itself does not impress me, and how could it, when I already have a larger screen with a higher resolution? Sure, its slim design is moderately impressive, but the resolution by itself leaves me cold.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I dont buy it, as Surur said, higher-rez screens have been around for years.

True, but they are always more expensive. Say a QVGA screen is $30, and a VGA screen is $70. HTC obviously decided the increased sales would not be made up by the increased costs.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Oalvarez, I wonder if you appreciate some of the little touches in WM6, such as the smart dialer application, or that your recent calls are now stored with the contact you are dialing.

BTW, there is a registry edit to increase the width of the scroll bar (if that really really bothers you).

Also have you customized the menus and buttons to your preferences?

Surur

it's tough to appreciate anything when your device hesitates to operate because its memory has run too low. just this morning i reset the device, had 25mb available, opened PIE, went to CNN.com (changed screen orientation), opened email, then changed orientation, and the screen had difficulty going back to its Today/Home page. that is weak, you can call it what you want.

as for the scroll bars, it's pretty silly in my book to offer scroll bars but not be able to use your fingers due to how thin they are (i refuse to use a stylus). exactly: a registry edit.....everything requires some sort of hack or registry edit to make the thing function the way it should. Hobbes was kind enough to point me in the direction of these hacks and the like and i appreciate him wanting to help. i simply find all of these hacks as band-aid remedies for larger problems.

recent calls stored with the contact? hec, all i know is that i can see my recent calls from the "recent calls" tab on the iPhone. i really don't find what you offer to be all that special.

doesn't look to be what i'm after. the memory issue simply doesn't cut it and i had yet to even install Goodlink (a requirement for my business email needs) on it. i'm not saying it's a bad device but it doesn't look like it will be replacing my Pearl.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I would also question the relevance of a super high resolution screen on a cell phone or business orientated device.

Sure it "looks nice" (cool, sweet, etc.) and in general I'm okay if a device offers a high resolution screen, but at the end of the day most cell phones/smartphones do not need a high resolution screen.

The iPhone is made to be a media device, especially for watching iTune movies and shows, so like the PSP it really benefits from a high res screen; WM devices are not advertised as such and MS does not promote WM devices as media centric handheld for watching movies, TV, etc. This also means very little for other devices (e.g. Gameboy DS) and the fact that most people do not need their email, contacts, notes or a battery meter in high resolution.

So outside of just aesthetic preference and higher cost the actual benefit is not that great to the end user.

Once again we're coming back to an argument of form vs. function i.e. it just looks cool.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
it's tough to appreciate anything when your device hesitates to operate because its memory has run too low. just this morning i reset the device, had 25mb available, opened PIE, went to CNN.com (changed screen orientation), opened email, then changed orientation, and the screen had difficulty going back to its Today/Home page. that is weak, you can call it what you want.

as for the scroll bars, it's pretty silly in my book to offer scroll bars but not be able to use your fingers due to how thin they are (i refuse to use a stylus). exactly: a registry edit.....everything requires some sort of hack or registry edit to make the thing function the way it should. Hobbes was kind enough to point me in the direction of these hacks and the like and i appreciate him wanting to help. i simply find all of these hacks as band-aid remedies for larger problems.

recent calls stored with the contact? hec, all i know is that i can see my recent calls from the "recent calls" tab on the iPhone. i really don't find what you offer to be all that special.

doesn't look to be what i'm after. the memory issue simply doesn't cut it and i had yet to even install Goodlink (a requirement for my business email needs) on it. i'm not saying it's a bad device but it doesn't look like it will be replacing my Pearl.

I think the hack it not to make it function the way it should, but to make it function the way you WANT it to function. You refuse to use the stylus, but the designers decided to accommodate you with a D-Pad and scroll wheel. It did not occur to them that this would not be enough for you, but fortunately the device is flexible enough to be hacked to do what you want. Thats the beauty of an open OS. The good news (for you at least) is that finger scrolling will be coming to all new HTC devices soon.

The recent calls are in the call history list but ALSO stored with a contact, so when you look up a contact you can see when and for how long you spoke to them. WM often offers many ways to accessing the same data.

As to memory, I suggest not worrying about it unless it pops up an error.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Sorry, but I'm not dragging around the hulking HTC universal. Its not a cellphone, its a mini-laptop.
I agree. I thought for a while about a Nokia E90. It's smaller than a Universal and pretty loaded, but simply too big (for me). Horses for courses, but I'd guess that the number of people for whom the Universal is an acceptable size is really quite small. It's more than twice the weight of the iPhone!

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

You realize most of your arguments are crap, right?

(a) You knew the Mogul had low memory before you bought it, you knew it was an issue, yet you still went ahead. Just about everyone has lamented the issue. I think the Mogul is 2 years too late. Sprint should have at least have gotten the Kaiser to be relative...
(b) you refuse to use a stylus on a device that is meant for stylus use, yet somehow it is "silly" that MS did not accommodate your need to use the device as not intended. Should I ***** about the iPhone because I can't use a stylus? Is that a legitimate complaint too?
(c) all those "hacks" are not to make it work the way it should be so you can customize every aspect to your liking; it's a choice not a requirement.
(d) the recent call history w/contact feature is important for business users since they now have a call history associated with that contact. Instead of just searching your call history for "Jane" two weeks ago, you just jump to "Jane" in your contacts and see when you last spoke to her. If you make hundreds of calls to many people, it's very valuable. I can't believe I have to explain that to you...
(e) You don't even need this device. You said you don't need the 3rd party apps and you just need instant email. So why go with a Wm device as opposed to just your BB? You don't do any real office work on your smartphone so WM is not a good choice for you...

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
You refuse to use the stylus, but the designers decided to accommodate you with a D-Pad and scroll wheel.

that's right, i refuse to use a stylus as it's something that i haven't needed to do with the Pearl for the longest while (and iphone). the D-Pad doesn't work all that well when you're trying to jump from the bottom of a page back to the top, matter of fact, it's almost useless in my book. isn't there some other way to page up like with a blackberry? hec, with the iPhone you can do it almost instantaneously.

The recent calls are in the call history list but ALSO stored with a contact, so when you look up a contact you can see when and for how long you spoke to them. WM often offers many ways to accessing the same data.

i think it's great if you find this useful, i do not, it's just not that important to me.

As to memory, I suggest not worrying about it unless it pops up an error.

this is about the silliest thing you could say. don't worry about the device hesitating or freezing up....just reset it and everything will be ok, right? the memory is deficient and how it handles it is just the same. no thanks man, those days are over for me.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
You realize most of your arguments are crap, right?

(a) You knew the Mogul had low memory before you bought it, you knew it was an issue, yet you still went ahead. Just about everyone has lamented the issue. I think the Mogul is 2 years too late. Sprint should have at least have gotten the Kaiser to be relative...
(b) you refuse to use a stylus on a device that is meant for stylus use, yet somehow it is "silly" that MS did not accommodate your need to use the device as not intended. Should I ***** about the iPhone because I can't use a stylus? Is that a legitimate complaint too?
(c) all those "hacks" are not to make it work the way it should be so you can customize every aspect to your liking; it's a choice not a requirement.
(d) the recent call history w/contact feature is important for business users since they now have a call history associated with that contact. Instead of just searching your call history for "Jane" two weeks ago, you just jump to "Jane" in your contacts and see when you last spoke to her. If you make hundreds of calls to many people, it's very valuable. I can't believe I have to explain that to you...
(e) You don't even need this device. You said you don't need the 3rd party apps and you just need instant email. So why go with a Wm device as opposed to just your BB? You don't do any real office work on your smartphone so WM is not a good choice for you...

whatever you say, Mal, whatever you say.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I would also question the relevance of a super high resolution screen on a cell phone or business orientated device.

Sure it "looks nice" (cool, sweet, etc.) and in general I'm okay if a device offers a high resolution screen, but at the end of the day most cell phones/smartphones do not need a high resolution screen.

That makes perfect sense for anybody that thinks 240x240 is acceptable. To me its not. Would you be alright if the next treo was 160x160? Who cares what it looks like, right?

Higher resolution screens are alot easier on my old eyes. Everything just looks better and clearer. It also makes using the phone alot more pleasant experience. Whats wrong with wanting that?

Almost every preview I have seen of the kaiser say the same thing. Awesome features, BUT where is the high res. screen. I guess I'm not the only one.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I agree. I thought for a while about a Nokia E90. It's smaller than a Universal and pretty loaded, but simply too big (for me). Horses for courses, but I'd guess that the number of people for whom the Universal is an acceptable size is really quite small. It's more than twice the weight of the iPhone!

Agreed, way to big. Interesting outer screen though. Makes you wonder why the Universal doesn't have an outer screen.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
True, but they are always more expensive. Say a QVGA screen is $30, and a VGA screen is $70. HTC obviously decided the increased sales would not be made up by the increased costs.

Surur

Are you telling me potential kaiser owners wouldn't pay and extra $40 for a higher resolution screen? I think you might be crazy.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Thats what minimo is. Its a bit heavy however, but probably runs fine in 128 MB ram and 624 Mhz processor.

BTW, have you tried bloglines. It feels like what you are talking about. I have 72 sites in my bloglines feed. I can see which ones are updated, the RSS feeds feel like mobile sites, and when the feed is no full, if I click on the headline it opens the full site using skweezer.

I think its brilliant, and you should really give it a try.

Surur

Oh, hey cool. I didn't know about minimo....too bad it's only for WM though.

Status
Not open for further replies.