10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I don't. How are you saving pictures from your rss feeds?

I'll ignore that question, but I am wondering what you've got against RSS feeds. I even read RSS feeds at home vs going to each individual site. Its a good way to condense the flow of information, and it has less ads, and usually contain more stories on one page, vs having to go from page to page.

What's the advantage of going to a full site for each RSS feed you are monitoring?

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'll ignore that question, but I am wondering what you've got against RSS feeds. I even read RSS feeds at home vs going to each individual site. Its a good way to condense the flow of information, and it has less ads, and usually contain more stories on one page, vs having to go from page to page.

What's the advantage of going to a full site for each RSS feed you are monitoring?

Surur
I agree.

Here is my rant on RSS:

In short it is by far the more efficient and smart way to view and sort information either mobile or on a desktop. I guarantee I can surf the content of 20 RSS feeds ergo those sites faster than any device going to those websites even over Wifi.

Case in point: I launch my RSS reader in 3 seconds (Newsbreak 2.0--got it on sale for $7).

I then hit "Refresh" at which point it'll sync all 20 of my RSS feeds in about 30 seconds over EvDO.

Screen002-22.png

Now, instead of scrolling through stories I can just browse by headline, skipping over anything that is mundane or of no interest.

Screen003-22.png

I pick a headline and open it, whereby it pulls down the in-line image for the story (another 1-2 seconds). The page is formatted for my device, has no ads and is just pure content. I can now even email the link to others.

Screen004-12.png

Combine that with the best features: Auto-download, Filter and Notificaitons...

I can put a keyword in say "iPhone update" and every time my RSS reader auto-updates, it'll filter for those key words. If it finds one, it then notifies me of the story.

Now that's what a smartphone should do: the work for you. :thumbsup:

Combine that with handling and downloading of Podcasts and it's just the more efficient way. I don't understand how actually going to 20 separate websites, loading each one, looking for updates is preferred over a RSS option.

Now true, not all RSS fees are the full story ( 90% of my feeds are full, like Engadget, Iwatchstuff, etc.). However, if not there is a simple solution: there is a free plugin that will send your link to Skweezer.net for you, so when you go to the "full site" to read the rest of the story, it's already streamlined for you.

In the end, RSS is just a faster, more efficient system. It brings the info to you with no ads, no wasted bandwidth, quickly and automatically. Because of this, I rarely have to use a web browser. Instead I can sort and parse through all 20 (or more) of my websites within 5 minutes, tops.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I personally use bloglines and bloglines mobile. The nice part is that it uses no local resources, and you can see more than headlines, but the whole story in the feed. The only thing missing is the formatting (which is a waste of time in any case) and most ads.

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Oh and as far as saving images, I just open the link to the story then save it via PIE, not really hard :cool: (note: I'm not using any PIE 3rd party addons for this...)

Screen005-9.png

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
ofcourse, the two people with the most negative iPhone views here just love rss. This way, in your minds you get to negate the awesome browser on the iPhone. Mal. You read news stories on a 240x240 screen? Yuck.

On my blackberry, I used viigo, now I just go to the actual site. I like it better this way.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
ofcourse, the two people with the most negative iPhone views here just love rss. This way, in your minds you get to negate the awesome browser on the iPhone. Mal. You read news stories on a 240x240 screen? Yuck.

On my blackberry, I used viigo, now I just go to the actual site. I like it better this way.

Are you implying we only like RSS since the iPhone came along? :) Really? :D

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Are you implying we only like RSS since the iPhone came along? :) Really? :D

Surur
RSS has been my preferred choice since Firefox built it in and sites made adding RSS feeds a simple 1-step process.

I actually have no real issues with MobileSafari but my main point stands: RSS is a faster, more efficient way of sorting through you favorite sites, hands down. I think if the iPhone had a standalone RSS reader combined with MSafari would be a nice pair (add 3 or 4g and now you're really talking).

Firefox is a great desktop browser but I still use RSS first. Same applies to my mobile device: RSS then if I have to, browser.

I'm just starting to get into del.icio.us, which is another great tool. And just so happens there is a PIE plugin for that too. I love technology that makes handling of information faster and easier, what can I say?

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Here ya go:

""It connects to any POP3 or IMAP email -- Yahoo Mail, MS Exchange, Mac Mail... POP3: Gmail, AOL mail, and most ISPs... let's highlight one, Yahoo mail. Today we are announcing Yahoo will offer free push-IMAP email to iPhone customers. This isn't just IMAP, this is push-email, same as a BlackBerry."

Not the interface - the function compared to BB.
So from that statement your take away is that Jobs is targeting business customers? Wow...

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Thats all in your head. I just said its my second favorite device. The best email device by far on the market. I would miss the iPhone screen, keyboard, browser, sms, video and music capabilities if I switched back

Then you wonder why I'm confused. In the same post, you praise then push to the wayside the Curve. Also if you haven't used it in a month, that's very telling. You've pretty much switched over to the iPhone.

Even in your earlier posts, you mentioned you like the iPhone way better than the Curve.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
So from that statement your take away is that Jobs is targeting business customers? Wow...

Well MS Exchange and comparing to Blackberry pretty much says so, YES!! Why does the obvious miss some people?

Although I do think he also is targeting all or most email users.

CountBuggula

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site

I love RSS too, but I use it mainly on my Desktop PC to see when new content is available for websites without having to browse to each site individually. I haven't put an RSS reader on my Treo but have been thinking it'd be a good idea.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
My ideal browser would be something with an RSS reader built in, like a successor and expansion on traditional bookmarks. You could also have a way to toggle defaulting to mobile or full versions of sites. You have the mobile site load normally, and have the full site launch in full-screen mode ala Safari or OperaMini 4. so depending on what version you wanted to view you could go either way. I definitely think mobile-specific sites can give a better mobile experience vs full desktop sites, we just need to evolve the mobile versions to be the best they can be.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Then you wonder why I'm confused. In the same post, you praise then push to the wayside the Curve. Also if you haven't used it in a month, that's very telling. You've pretty much switched over to the iPhone.

Even in your earlier posts, you mentioned you like the iPhone way better than the Curve.

Not really sure why I have to keep saying this. I like the curve alot. 2nd best overall device I own. Best email device on the market. Dont like the video and music capabilities of it, dont like the browser, and like the iPhone keyboard better. For my needs, I find the iPhone to be better overall. Other people, may disagree.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
We have already established iPhone users are not about efficiency.

Surur

actually, i went out and bought a HTC Mogul from Sprint today. i'm starting to think that iPhone use is all about efficiency in comparison, but unfortunately, you wouldn't know.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Well MS Exchange and comparing to Blackberry pretty much says so, YES!! Why does the obvious miss some people?

Although I do think he also is targeting all or most email users.
Its so obvious that all the press came away from this event saying that Jobs wasn't targeting the business market. The man mentions every major email protocol and they only one you heard was "Exchange." And there is no iPhone comparison to BB here. He said that Yahoo was going to deliver push email like BB.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Ollie,

I was asking out of genuine interest...but your nasty reply just cements the fact you cannot be civil.

"Because I can" - spoken like a true Rockfeller.

SAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner