10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for proving my point. Nothing here relating to business. Its all about media.

They are all smartphones. There are many other media phones Apple could have used to compare it with e.g. the Upstage.

You can add crappy browsers that cant compete with Safari.

Opinion

You can change the UI, but it still isnt going to be as nice as OS X IMHO.

I think if it was changed to an exact clone you will not be satisfied.

Surur

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
.....Out of curiosity, over Edge how long does it take to load the NY Times Home page and then to click/load the link to the story?
All that I can tell you with certainty is that it is faster than on Blazer. E-mail is also faster than Snappermail which is faster on my 650 than it was on my 600.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Again with the keynote!!!!! :D

who is comparing the iPhone to a true business device? i've participated in this thread and really don't find that to be the case. i think it's more the opposite actually. but the keynote comment is really getting a bit long in the tooth.

And still completely valid since the video exists to prove my point!! If you put up smartphones then imply the iPhone is better than them, just what exactly are you doing if not comparing??? Who am I going to believe, YOU or my eyes??!!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for proving my point. Nothing here relating to business. Its all about media.

Who put together that chart? If it was Apple, they're doing it again! If not, someone else somehow thinks the iPhone is a business phone. I think this comparison may be hard to get away from.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
And still completely valid since the video exists to prove my point!! If you put up smartphones then imply the iPhone is better than them, just what exactly are you doing if not comparing??? Who am I going to believe, YOU or my eyes??!!
Its not valid if taken out of context. Jobs wasn't saying "Look at these smartphones, the iphone is a better smartphone." Jobs was saying "Look at these phones with keyboards, ours will be a different keyboard."

He wasn't comparing it to smartphones, he was comparing the keyboards. Nothing more.

Who put together that chart? If it was Apple, they're doing it again! If not, someone else somehow thinks the iPhone is a business phone. I think this comparison may be hard to get away from.
Look at what is being compared in the chart. It has nothing to do with business features.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
But yet, 3 business phones and no other multi-media phones like the Nokia N73/N91 and the Sony Ericsson W850i/W900i. I know what I'm looking at, I'm not that blind!! They are using smartphones for a reason in their comparisons!!

P.S. I just checked and the N95 is also classified as a Symbian smartphone. You can continue to say Apple isn't trying to compare iPhone to smartphones, but visual evidence says otherwise, regardless of what kind of spin you put on it!

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Again with the keynote!!!!! :D

who is comparing the iPhone to a true business device? i've participated in this thread and really don't find that to be the case. i think it's more the opposite actually. but the keynote comment is really getting a bit long in the tooth.

Yes, again, we with the keynote - It was Jobs pitch for the iPhone. Clearly put it in the smartphone market.

It's not long in the tooth at all. It's a legit item, because a lot of peopl got iPhone to replace their Treo/BB/etc. device, only to find it wasnt quite there yet.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Granted, like yourself I would like the best of everything, but just due to practicalities, I hate the idea of loading a full website "on the go".

Its funny how you like to jump all over every little thing you think the iPhone lacks, but you fully accept a 240x240 screen, and visiting mobile websites. Two things I will never accept again on a phone.

I guess to each their own.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Apple called it 'competitive data' so doesn't that mean Apple sees these devices as competitors? And wouldn't that mean if you are comparing features and functionality, all things are fair game at that point? Point out the iPhone's strengths and ignore the things it may be weaker at, but say you aren't comparing the features it isn't good at because it isn't meant to compete with them seems like you are trying to have it both ways.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
You've used a lot of devices with keyboards, correct?

Despite the comments from "it's not so bad" to "wonderful", compared to other physical keyboards, the iPhone's isn't all that good. (prone to errors if you want to type fast.)

In MY OPINION, I think its the best keyboard on any device I have ever used.

Web browsing, which everyone heralds, is actually sorta frustrating - first, the full page view is too tiny, and the zoom-in, finger drag or flick to view the page. There is a lot of gesturing needed just to read through a page.Coming from using a D-Pad to scroll up and down and scroll left/right, it's definitely more work.

Huh, I just tap the screen, and it seems to reformat all the text just fine. I never really need any additional zooming. Are you sure you have an iPhone?

And of course, the vertical to horizontal switching is very angle dependent, and quite often doesn't work.

What? It works just fine for me.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

You can add crappy browsers that cant compete with Safari. You can add storage, thankfully I don't have to. You can change the UI, but it still isnt going to be as nice as OS X IMHO. Your opinion of the WM UI is probably different than mine, but we have already established that you place very little value on appearance.

If it was all about media, then why compare to these phones? There are many better examples of "media" phones out there?

Still said they wanted to leapfrog and make something 5 years ahead.

While they didn't exactly say "replace your smartphone with this", they made comparisons.

Safari is nice (on Wifi), although I think the gesture intesiveness detracts from it somewhat.

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
But yet, 3 business phones and no other multi-media phones like the Nokia N73/N91 and the Sony Ericsson W850i/W900i. I know what I'm looking at, I'm not that blind!! They are using smartphones for a reason in their comparisons!!

P.S. I just checked and the N95 is also classified as a Symbian smartphone. You can continue to say Apple isn't trying to compare iPhone to smartphones, but visual evidence says otherwise, regardless of what kind of spin you put on it!
Ok aside from one graph comparing multimedia capabilities and a moment in the keynote comparing keyboards, what other marketing is Apple doing to sell this as a smartphone or a business phone? The prominent TV ads show media use, phone use and google maps. There's hardly even a mention of email let alone any other business apps. So aside from the two instances you have, which i believe you are taking out of context, what else is there? With all the TV ads that Apple has bought why aren't they pushing the iPhone as a business phone in any of them?

I agree, having used the iPhone since day one I am now much faster with this keyboard than I ever was with my 650, and I love that keyboard.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Its not valid if taken out of context. Jobs wasn't saying "Look at these smartphones, the iphone is a better smartphone." Jobs was saying "Look at these phones with keyboards, ours will be a different keyboard."

He wasn't comparing it to smartphones, he was comparing the keyboards. Nothing more.

Look at what is being compared in the chart. It has nothing to do with business features.

Bovine-dookey.

Comparing the keyboard implies you need a keyboard for functions....functions that smartphones do.

Steve also compared the email to a Blackberry. You want deny how that isn't business related?

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
a lot of peopl got iPhone to replace their Treo/BB/etc. device, only to find it wasnt quite there yet.

My blackberry has been sitting in my desk draw for a month now. Not once have I had the urge to pick it back up.

Did you do a formal poll or did you just ask random people at the mall?

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Bovine-dookey.

Comparing the keyboard implies you need a keyboard for functions....functions that smartphones do.
Thats an enormous stretch.

Steve also compared the email to a Blackberry. You want deny how that isn't business related?
So the only use for email is business? i've used a 650 for years and an iPhone since they were released and never once used either for corporate email.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site

Huh, I just tap the screen, and it seems to reformat all the text just fine. I never really need any additional zooming. Are you sure you have an iPhone?

What? It works just fine for me.

If it's the best keyboard, that's fine. I am curious which devices you have used to make the comparison.

I have used an iPhone extensively; I'm not sure what sites you visit, but "full" sites require quite a bit of "zooming and moving".

If it works great for you, that's great. I just notice that the plane/angle at which you hold the iPhone affects how the accelerometer works. Unless you are at the proper angle, you can get into "flip-flop" land, where you are turning the iPhone like one of those snow globes to get the orientation to switch.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
My blackberry has been sitting in my desk draw for a month now. Not once have I had the urge to pick it back up.

Did you do a formal poll or did you just ask random people at the mall?

Per Ollie's commnet above, does that make you an idiot? (i don't think so, but Ollie does).

I'm basing it on comments on this and other forums. Some people did this (like you; replace smartphone with iPhone).

Oh, and if you want another Apple Store visit story....was there yesterday....plenty of iPhones on display. One person getting the feature review from staff. Spent nearly 30 min with her, very helpful. It was all good until she said, I need to go to go overseas next month, and they explained she would need to use ATT intl roaming. You could almost hear her face sag (because she was used to swapping SIMs out).

A one more person (kid) came into to check out iPhone. This was over a 45 minute period. High traffic store.

I really hope they are selling more online or at ATT stores.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Thats an enormous stretch.

So the only use for email is business? i've used a 650 for years and an iPhone since they were released and never once used either for corporate email.

Stretch? Hardly. Logical conclusion.

Don't switch subject. It's not about email not being personal and business. It's about comparing to Blackberry, which, by and large is, used for business (and personal) email.

You compared to a BB, you are coming email, specifically business email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods