10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Everything will be unintuitive and awkward to some people. The iPhone sounds very similar to a Treo in dealing with Google Maps, Blazer and YouTube (via Kinoma, which sucks btw). I agree that it would be nice to if YouTube, Google Maps, and Safari had some more integration, but specific widgets to get web content seems more efficient to me than doing everything within Safari.
I certainly see it both ways. I think it's nice having a dedicated Youtube player, but if someone sends you a link in email or on a website, you run into "technical" issues if you want to watch it, correct? Still, these seem more like pet-peeves. Mobile video streaming is still very, very young.

Hopefully they will allow more integration with updates.

Speaking of, TC's own zBop wrote a nice PIE plugin for Youtube, Google Video, Veoh and Mobetube. Now you just click on any video link on those sites (not the mobile youtube either, the real site) and it'll open up TCPMP and stream the content. No hacking involved. :thumbsup:

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Speaking of, TC's own zBop wrote a nice PIE plugin for Youtube, Google Video, Veoh and Mobetube. Now you just click on any video link on those sites (not the mobile youtube either, the real site) and it'll open up TCPMP and stream the content. No hacking involved. :thumbsup:

Where's the info on that? I'm sure TCPIP would do a better job with video than Kinoma.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Exactly. I really hope Apple gets 3rd party apps , IM, and more storage. I'm still not sold on the keyboard but could survive I'm sure.
It'd also be nice if they had a much more lenient testing period for new users. A 14 day trial with possible re-stocking fee seems quite risky for such a device. Imagine if they had a 30 day, no strings attached, evaluation period? How cool would that be?

Normally, I could see how that's a risk for AT&T and Apple, seeing as now those devices are "used", etc. But it's not like they aren't making a killing already to allow such lenient evaluation periods. Doesn't Verizon do something like that?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Where's the info on that? I'm sure TCPIP would do a better job with video than Kinoma.
Right here. It's so cool. Quality is quite good (depending on the content, of course).

But alas, you using Kinoma...which means POS! :p This is a WM plugin only. (Though, maybe someone in the community could talk to zbop about the technical details of how it works and it can be applied to POS?)

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Right here. It's so cool. Quality is quite good (depending on the content, of course).

But alas, you using Kinoma...which means POS! :p This is a WM plugin only. (Though, maybe someone in the community could talk to zbop about the technical details of how it works and it can be applied to POS?)

The author recommends scaling the CPU, No Thanks. Uses PIE, no Thanks.

However, it is still a very cool app, written by somebody clearly with alot of coding skills.

Almost tempted to load it on my extra 8125, but that low-rez screen keeps getting in the way of me ever wanting to use it again.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Best keyboard on the market, in my opinion.

Not when you want to use it as a launcher to get to app, urls, make calls etc. My keyboard is a huge boon to me, coming from a TX. with the right software it definitely is a strength of the Treo. I can pick it up in the dark, with blurry vision, and launch my alarm clock or make a call. I would like the best of all worlds ultimately: hard keys, small size, big screen. Palm made a compromise, Apple made a compromise. I see the strengths and limitations of both and am not sure which compromise I'm willing to make quite yet. Hopefully a device comes along that doesn't force a compromise on me.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The placebo effect doesn't work for everyone?

Also, did Apple reduce Safari's memory usage by reducing the resolution of the graphics?

- - What Apple forum is reporting...

BIGMERF 08-01-2007 14:57

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Apple forum is reporting...

ok here are some of the changes the people over at the apple forums are reporting.. anybody seeing these changes?

1.volume changes
2.calender alerts in sound settings
3.spam folder now desplays junk mail
4.music plays during safari navigating...no crashes
5.phone remembers network name and password and auto rejoins networks
6.battery meter displays full charge and glows.
7.vpn issues are fixed
8.passcode lock feature offers up to an hr now.
9.glitches in google maps have been repaired
10.overall faster phone responses..navigating phone,internet, button response, etc.
11.calculator issues fixed.

fabsambh 08-01-2007 15:02

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I signed on to I tunes but did not get anything that would ask me to update, is there something that needs to be done to direct the process?

mjohns2 08-01-2007 15:11

Click update iPhone

scaredpoet 08-01-2007 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGMERF

There were calculator issues? :confused:

EDIT: So there are, or were anyway, some calculator bugs. however, it looks like indeed they are fixed with 1.01

XanderMac 08-01-2007 16:14

Volume is the same and calendar alerts have always been there. iPod still crashes, mine just did as I was typing this!

homegeek 08-01-2007 18:11

I would love it if they fixed the volume but I notice no difference. I hope they do fix it because this is the worst I have seen on any of my phones.

shtekler 08-01-2007 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGMERF
ok here are some of the changes the people over at the apple forums are reporting.. anybody seeing these changes?

1.volume changes
2.calender alerts in sound settings
3.spam folder now desplays junk mail
4.music plays during safari navigating...no crashes
5.phone remembers network name and password and auto rejoins networks
6.battery meter displays full charge and glows.
7.vpn issues are fixed
8.passcode lock feature offers up to an hr now.
9.glitches in google maps have been repaired
10.overall faster phone responses..navigating phone,internet, button response, etc.

I am very sorry but my picture quietly of safri is bad no high resolution any more I will try to restore it to ver#1

kaidomac 08-01-2007 19:33

Volume seems the same for me, unfortunately. My iPhone has been incredibly stable so far too, so I haven't really noticed any stability issues.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1213613

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Not when you want to use it as a launcher to get to app, urls, make calls etc. My keyboard is a huge boon to me, coming from a TX. with the right software it definitely is a strength of the Treo. I can pick it up in the dark, with blurry vision, and launch my alarm clock or make a call. I would like the best of all worlds ultimately: hard keys, small size, big screen. Palm made a compromise, Apple made a compromise. I see the strengths and limitations of both and am not sure which compromise I'm willing to make quite yet. Hopefully a device comes along that doesn't force a compromise on me.

I just touch the screen.

I Love the fact when I don't need the keyboard, I dont have to give up any screen real estate.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I just touch the screen.

I Love the fact when I don't need the keyboard, I dont have to give up any screen real estate.

I 'downgraded' from the same sized screen (in pixels, actually a larger screen really) and am much more happy launching things with buttons. I 'touched' my TX's screen with my fingers in the same way you do for the iPhone so I'm all over that experience. Real button have real advantages. Really. They do.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
More update problems. I wonder why he blames AT&T though. Its not like they have any input in Apple's updates.

- - 1.0.1 Update service problems

drew0020 08-01-2007 01:20 PM

1.0.1 Update service problems

My phone was perfect before the update. I updated last night and am getting no service messages during the day at work. I cannot seem to get service back. Unfortunately I cannot restore until I am home, but is that my only option? Very frustrating!

fmcgirt 08-01-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew0020 (Post 3988778)
My phone was perfect before the update. I updated last night and am getting no service messages during the day at work. I cannot seem to get service back. Unfortunately I cannot restore until I am home, but is that my only option? Very frustrating!

Mine was not perfect before the update as I had erratic reception from time to time but I had exactly the same No Service problem last night after the 1.0.1 update. I tried everything I could think of like rebooting, doing the update again, AirPlane Mode On and Off, etc., and nothing helped. I was afraid it was the SIM card so I put it in another phone and it worked fine. I finally left it and went to bed and this morning all was fine. I think that the problem was that AT&T had a problem activating the phone after the update for some reason. Very frustrating!

Frank

Virtualball 08-01-2007 02:51 PM

I have the EXACT same issue! Wow, I thought it was just me! :( I get the "AT&T needs to check activation sign, but I have no service so it can't check! Not cool, AT&T not cool...

fmcgirt 08-01-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtualball (Post 3989211)
I have the EXACT same issue! Wow, I thought it was just me! :( I get the "AT&T needs to check activation sign, but I have no service so it can't check! Not cool, AT&T not cool...

Something in the update caused this and somehow slipped through the testing between AT&T and Apple.
I never understand how something like this happens as there is nothing subtle about this one. I have the 4GB model and I wonder if it could be only happening to them since I have seen many reports of successful updates?

Frank
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=336338

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I 'downgraded' from the same sized screen (in pixels, actually a larger screen really) and am much more happy launching things with buttons. I 'touched' my TX's screen with my fingers in the same way you do for the iPhone so I'm all over that experience. Real button have real advantages. Really. They do.

a palm tx?

the buttons were alot smaller on the tx than they are on the iPhone. No usable on screen keyboard (dont even mention stylus). What buttons were you using, the dpad?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

I thought high-res screens like 320x480 were invented by Apple? Dont say it ain't so!

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
A not so silly question - how to overcome the smoke and mirrors on iPhone graphics?

And a follow-up question - whats the maximum zoom on a PDF on an iPhone?

- - silly question...

macmadandproud 08-01-2007 10:15 AM

silly question...

Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, but it seems that it is not to me...

I want to put an image on my phone of the London tube map. It is approx 1500 x 1000 and I want to keep it this size so that I can use the zoom in to view specific stations and lines... is there a way to do this? Whenever I load it in via iPhoto, the image is so small that whenever I zoom in, it is all blurry.

I also tried e-mailing the large image to myself, but it seems that in email you hardly get any zoom at all...

Is this even doable? I seem to remember seeing a preference somewhere to turn off resizing when syncing from iphoto but I can't seem to find it.

I leave for London in 4 hours, and will truly be lost without someone's help!!

Thanks!

R

LanikaiGirl 08-01-2007 11:35 AM

Try this:

http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/cgi/data/data

I have some blue prints I need to have with me, and it worked beautifully. It basically creates a copy of your document hidden in the bookmark.

macmadandproud 08-01-2007 11:50 AM

Thanks for the link, however I need to have it with me, and can't afford to pay for web access while roaming.

This will just make it a link in safari, correct?

:confused:

jecapaga 08-01-2007 02:42 PM

not sure if this works...save it as a pdf and email it to yourself to an account you can view on your iphone as an attachment. perhaps this allows for zooming.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=336278

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Best keyboard on the market, in my opinion.

You've used a lot of devices with keyboards, correct?

Despite the comments from "it's not so bad" to "wonderful", compared to other physical keyboards, the iPhone's isn't all that good. (prone to errors if you want to type fast.)

I think it depends on a couple things - how big your fingers are, and how you hold the device.

I agree that people really should play around with it and draw their own conclusions. Web browsing, which everyone heralds, is actually sorta frustrating - first, the full page view is too tiny, and the zoom-in, finger drag or flick to view the page. There is a lot of gesturing needed just to read through a page.

Coming from using a D-Pad to scroll up and down and scroll left/right, it's definitely more work.

And of course, the vertical to horizontal switching is very angle dependent, and quite often doesn't work.

Like I said, I agree people should try it for themselves and draw their own conclusions.

I keep trying to like the iPhone, but I find if I have to make a lot of effort (swipes, presses, gestures, etc.) to get something done.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Yep, with buttons it is a one-handed, slight movement of the thumb. With iPhone, it is mostly a two-handed, more dramatic movements to get things done. I love the idea, and I love the screen real estate, but I'll visit the low-bandwidth, mobile versions of sites for now, avoid lots of adds (I like that part a lot), and do it one handed most of the time. Then when I need two hands instead of having a UI that is dominated by large buttons, I have a pinpoint stylus which has worked really well for me for years and years.

I'm not saying that the Palm is superior or anything, what I'm saying is different things work well on different devices. I would like to see the best of all devices and technologies melded into one uber-device that doesn't throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. And I want the freedom to do what I want with it regarding the possibilities of the hardware and software.

Status
Not open for further replies.