10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I have a phone with each version side-by-side. One change is in mail settings "always cc myself" is now "always bcc myself."

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Apple just released firmware 1.0.1. So far reported benefits are increased volume, and no safari crashes while listening to music. The official change log is merely "bug fixes."

Update: the volume increase is disputed.
Update: on security issues, apple posted this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306173

I thought that "issue" did not affect anyone but a few random unlucky souls?

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Oops.. Not everything is fixed. And of course Safari still runs as root, meaning every crash is a potential arbitrary code execution with full system access possiblity...

- iPhone (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
- - iPhone update 1.0.1 is OUT!!!!

Malamutt 07-31-2007 08:06 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by B-Ri (Post 3985616)
i had to restore completely my phone, but ifuntastic still works so yay.

Thanks for the info on iFuntastic.... after I'm done with my second restore I'll take it for a test spin.

After my restore the first time:

My phone was like a new phone. The restore did not bring back any data except for what was already on my mac.

SMS gone
Email accounts gone
All custom settings gone

Anyone else have this happen?

:apple:Malamutt

n00basaur 07-31-2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kchino (Post 3985394)
I'll settle for bug fixes! I'm hoping to see a glowing green battery for the first time.

Yeah i'm curious about that too.

Julien 07-31-2007 08:14 PM

No Vista 64bit love.:(:(

tttexxan 07-31-2007 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insocal (Post 3985790)
Seems like no one has noticed this and it isn't even listed in the new DOCS ONLINE.

There is now the OPTION in MAIL SETTINGS to BCC YOURSELF on all mail. It used to be CC.

Still no BCC Option for RECIPIENTS other than SELF, though.

Don't know why it isn't listed in the UPDATED MANUAL which is actually dated as AUGUST 1 so maybe it'll be in there tomorrow?

Anyway, just thought I'd point it out for people.

joeyjoe9 07-31-2007 08:44 PM

Yep, my custom ringtones are gone too. What do you get with the trial version of iphoneringtonemaker?

tttexxan 07-31-2007 08:48 PM

Ok screen brightness is messed up on mine after update...my screen is now alot darker than before...Maybe im doing something wrong here but
auto brightness selected...I have it set to 50%. Im in a low lit room and shouldnt brightness incress...When I turn on the light the brightness goes up to where I previous had it prior to update.

joeyjoe9 07-31-2007 08:52 PM

no service! help!

after doing a restore because of custom ringtones and downloading the update, i am not getting back to edge network. it just says no service. help!

Cleverboy 07-31-2007 09:13 PM

After accepting that this is ONLY a security update, I thought I'd check out the only security update I personally found unnerving:
http://www.figma.com/dialerbug/

NOPE, NOT FIXED YET. Whoops.

I'm glad however, they they nixed a number of the cross-site scripting attack issues however. The dialerbug is still a bit disturbing if not high-priority.

Other than that, for what its worth, I think Safari does feel much more stable, but I'm guessing Apple won't "own up" to stability issues. I'm going to keep all my tabs full and see if I can "crash" it again tonight. Having no "luck". :)

This is interesting though. Apple knows how many DISTINCT and INDIVIDUAL iPhone customers they have piling onto iTunes and getting updates. This first security update would be an excellent way to see how "ACTIVE" their customers are in getting iPhone updates. A great story to share with potential partners if the "update rate" is high. My guess, the percentage of quick updaters will be higher than any other phone on the market, everytime they do it.

Also, tremendous WARNING SHOT across the bow of modders. In order to update, you'll need to RESTORE. How totally and completely sucky. Now I'm *completely* not interested in any mods. AT ALL. (Though honestly, nothing was compelling much anyways).

~ CB

alanisrox69 07-31-2007 09:28 PM

jailbreak still works after the update.

There is a slight problem though.

Originally when pressing and holding Home and Sleep, you would have to release them before jailbreak would go to "sending more files", the program seems to automatically start sending the files once the Exclamation Point screen comes up on the phone. If you do not release the buttons fast enough the jailbreak will fail and tell you that
"Problem with Ditto: 6

Sorry, apparently things just didn't work out.
Look on the bright side, if jail was that good for Paris maybe you should give it a second chance."

So this time as soon as I saw the Exclamation Point screen I released the buttons right away and everything works now :)

Just a little FYI.

-Derek-

cdd543 07-31-2007 09:35 PM

Well I am still getting "no content" and "message not downloaded from server" errors on both pop3 accounts so that wasn't addressed in this.

tobefirst 07-31-2007 10:00 PM

I tested the volume before and after, and I am one of the ones with no visible change in volume level.

mobilehavoc 07-31-2007 10:23 PM

First bad news...

Safari still crashes. It took more surfing to make it happen than usual but it still happened. I was listening to music in the background and the music didn't stop playing...so I guess that's good - although that rarely happened.

I hope in some way, my Safari crash was due to a unique condition that they didn't test yet because if it keeps crashing in the next few days, I may have to switch back to my BB Pearl until the next release.

I was so excited and now...not so much:(:(
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=336070

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
So this did not happen then?

"Management expressed excitement at plans to increase iPhone value over time via new software features, citing 'the sky is the limit' for iPhone software," analyst Mike Abramsky told clients in a research note Tuesday. "An iPhone update patch is expected shortly."

Abramsky speculated that upcoming iPhone software updates would include new widgets, peer-to-peer applications (chat, picture messaging, social networking), location-based services, MMS support, home networking, and possibly some integration with Mac OS X Leopard.
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...iphone_software_update_to_arrive_shortly.html

Must have been so disappointing....

- iPhone ver. 1.01 is out now!

DJMeowMixxx 08-01-2007 06:03

i just want more customization features...

i dont like the fact that it displays what people write to you in text.

also, i wouldl like longer/repeat of notifications(sounds)...

and then the basic wants of everyone else on this forum... mms.copy and paste, disk mode, etc.

ill do the update tomorrow.

cliffr39 08-01-2007 06:05

Originally Posted by BIGMERF
ok its final..this is what i needed to see. :buddies: .ill be getting my iphone this weekend b4 i go camping ..if not after i return early next week....im sure many others where waiting to see the same..you should see a slight jump in sales after this..

so you were holding out for a security patch? They didn't even know about the security issue until what, a week ago? You can buy mine.

Originally Posted by mongoos150
Glad to have the security fixes, disappointed that new functionality - that has been clamored over for weeks - has not.

exactly - they should have done SOMETHING. Even if it was just one feature instead of the whole collection that has been rumored. Give hope to those holding out. This is why I went back to my backup-phone, and just bought a Nokia N80 tonight - Apple really is disappointing with this secrecy.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1213279

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
What, more keyboard corner cases? This guy should know Apple does not cater for corner cases. If it does not affect 80% of the people the problem does not even exist.

- A Sticky Situation....

tonyayo 07-31-2007 10:45

A Sticky Situation....

Hey guys, I frequent a website very often and my user name involves a `(not a comma the key right next to the 1 key aka ~) how do i input that into the field?

Thanks,
Tony

scaredpoet 07-31-2007 13:24

Whoops! it looks like that character doesn't exist on the iPhone keyboard!

Matt Cohn 07-31-2007 21:44

Try setting it as a bookmark in your computer browser, then syncing your bookmarks to the phone.

FourOhFour 08-01-2007 00:05

heh, took me a while to find that character (the tilde, if you care)... With the keyboard up, tap @123 to bring up the symbols and numbers, then press shift.

tonyayo 08-01-2007 00:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOhFour
heh, took me a while to find that character (the tilde, if you care)... With the keyboard up, tap @123 to bring up the symbols and numbers, then press shift.

yup, found the tide but not the `

melman101 08-01-2007 00:52

I would say make a bookmark on your desktop, sync it, and then you have it.

That's the best I can think of.

Sincerely,
Mel

tonyayo 08-01-2007 00:58

well, it's a log in page. so making a bookmark to the site really does me no good. i need to edit the cookie or something.

FourOhFour 08-01-2007 03:18

OH! Serves me right for reading too fast, sorry. Looks like you are stuck :-(

tonyayo 08-01-2007 07:19

yup anyone have any suggestions?
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1212825

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Yup, so for the 9 days we'll be abroad we'll use about 3,758KB/day based on current usage. Bringing our cost to about $7.70/day. I can live with that.

Also, (I may be wrong about this) but to sign up to that plan is $25 per month, and is for a whole year, or a $175 ETF.

Is that right or wrong?

I decided to re-do your calculation for you.

3.758x9=33.8 MB

At $25 x 12 = $300 for the first 20 megabytes, leaving 13.8 MB at $5 per megabyte=$69

Total = $369, or if you use the ETF, $25 + $175 + $69 =$269

So its either $41 or $29 per day - about the cost of drinks.

You will probably just be better of paying $169 at $5/MB, at $18 per day.

Again, I sure hope you dont use google maps...

Surur

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Apple just released firmware 1.0.1. So far reported benefits are increased volume, and no safari crashes while listening to music. The official change log is merely "bug fixes."

Update: the volume increase is disputed.
Update: on security issues, apple posted this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306173

Watched the install. One interesting step was identified as "verifying current software." It will be interesting to see what happens when someone tries to update a user modified iPhone.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Watched the install. One interesting step was identified as "verifying current software." It will be interesting to see what happens when someone tries to update a user modified iPhone.

People have done so. Some had to first restore.

By the way, the reports of lost SMS or whatever surur is trying to point out only happen when you have to restore. If you haven't hacked your phone, you don't lose any data. Not all hacked phones required restoration. Not clear on why.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Yup, so for the 9 days we'll be abroad we'll use about 3,758KB/day based on current usage. Bringing our cost to about $7.70/day. I can live with that.

Me too; an iPhone is not about the money. (T-Mobile did charge me $1500- for one two week trip to Europe, y'all be ca'ful, heah?)

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Oops.. Not everything is fixed. And of course Safari still runs as root, meaning every crash is a potential arbitrary code execution with full system access possiblity...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=336070

Surur

Why do you say that? Does ARM not allow protected code pages?

I'm no ARM expert, but i'm not aware of very many modern processors that share the x86 problem of treating code and data as being freely interchangeable (absent specific instructions to do otherwise).

Also, what's your source for it still running as root?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Why do you say that? Does ARM not allow protected code pages?

I'm no ARM expert, but i'm not aware of very many modern processors that share the x86 problem of treating code and data as being freely interchangeable (absent specific instructions to do otherwise).

Also, what's your source for it still running as root?

We now know, from the patches, that the claim that a safari crash can lead to arbitrary code execution is real. Right?

The hackers who created the exploit said any safari crash is a potential exploit. Safari still crashes. Do you disagree with this?

I am assuming Safari still runs as root until we know otherwise. Apple's descriptions of their fixes did not mention fixing the architectural issue.

Surur

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Also, (I may be wrong about this) but to sign up to that plan is $25 per month, and is for a whole year, or a $175 ETF.
You sign up on a month by month basis

Total = $369, or if you use the ETF, $25 + $175 + $69 =$269

So its either $41 or $29 per day - about the cost of drinks.

Again, I sure hope you dont use google maps...

Surur
I redid my math as well, keeping it in KBs as thats what all the measurments are in. I also realized that I had initially left out the $25 fee so here's the math with that included. We average 3,785KB/day with average every day use here in the US, that includes browsing, email and yes, Google Maps. Now assuming i stopped using Google Maps my cost could be even lower.

3,758 KB/Day * 9 Days = 33,822KB - 20,000 Free 20MB = 13,822 KB * $.005/KB = $69.11 + $25 upfront fee = $94.11 / 9 Days = $10.46/Day

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
We now know, from the patches, that the claim that a safari crash can lead to arbitrary code execution is real. Right?

The hackers who created the exploit said any safari crash is a potential exploit. Safari still crashes. Do you disagree with this?

I am assuming Safari still runs as root until we know otherwise. Apple's descriptions of their fixes did not mention fixing the architectural issue.

Surur

That's some twisted reasoning. First of all, we know for a fact that not all changes were reported by Apple. There are several visible changes that don't show up on the change log. There are also several apparent bug fixes that don't show up on the change log.

Second, we don't know that crashes can be used for exploits. In the report you are talking about (http://www.securityevaluators.com/iphone/) they are clearly speculating; the actual exploit they reported had nothing to do with crashing. I've seen no proof that a crash can lead to arbitrary code execution, and if it's using protected code pages it seems that it can't.

What they say is:

"Is it likely that there are other vulnerabilities in the iPhone?

It's a near certainty. For example, every cause of Safari crashing on the iPhone is a potential vulnerability. And getting Safari on the iPhone to crash isn't that hard. Additionally, it's likely there are vulnerabilities in the other iPhone applications as well."

The actual "arbitrary code" thing is arbitrary web page code that gets executed without you intending - and that was supposedly fixed.

You say you are "assuming" but you originally stated your assertion as a fact. But this report says nothing about crashes resulting in arbitrary code being run, says nothing about root (though i've seen that referred to elsewhere), and the published exploit has nothing to do with crashes or root.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
You sign up on a month by month basis

Are you sure about that? This post seems to disagree.

Re: Calling when overseas
Posted: Jul 27, 2007 6:14 PM in response to: Cenk Reply Email

All other plans state clearly when you need to sign a 1-year agreement, not this one:

International Data Global Plan for iPhone
For just an additional $24.99 per month, iPhone customers may add a Data Global Plan to their existing domestic data plan and receive 20MB of data usage in 29 countries, including Canada, China, Mexico and many additional countries in Europe/Asia. Overage rate is $.005/KB. Outside the 29 discounted countries, the data usage rate is $.0195/KB

But I was told by the CS agent that there is a 175$ termination fee and , yes, you need to sign for a full year. I guess 175$ is not that bad if you consider that a week
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1029360

I redid my math as well, keeping it in KBs as thats what all the measurments are in. I also realized that I had initially left out the $25 fee so here's the math with that included. We average 3,785KB/day with average every day use here in the US, that includes browsing, email and yes, Google Maps. Now assuming i stopped using Google Maps my cost could be even lower.

3,758 KB/Day * 9 Days = 33,822KB - 20,000 Free 20MB = 13,822 KB * $.005/KB = $69.11 + $25 upfront fee = $94.11 / 9 Days = $10.46/Day

Sorry, you will have to do your maths again. And apparently without a plan its $0.02 per kilobyte, or $20.48 per megabyte. Your 33.8 megabytes will cost you $690

Surur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox