10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I thinks all those quoted posts give warning to people that the iPhone deficiencies do affect real people, not just in theory, but in practice too. Its part of the research people always demand others do before taking a $600 plunge.

Surur

Denny Crane

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Sorry, I did not see that post. Crane is on my ignore list.

LMAO! I must be living right.

Oh...and one other thing for Surur......

"We love HTC, but it puts the HTC Touch to shame when it comes to touchiness and multimedia, and even the LG Prada can't come close to competing in terms of touch interface and functionality. The iPhone isn't perfect, but it's the most impressive first version of a new kind of device that we've seen so far."

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/iPhone.htm

Ouch....

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2144679,00.asp

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
crane

Denny,

Don't be so proud about being on an ignore list.

Those are supposed to be "ouch"?

I trust a review from pcmag about as much as I trust Al Sharpton not to place the race card.

There are a ton of lurkers on TC, and I am sure they have gotten a lot of good info from this thread. It's one of the most replied to and view theads on TC, and it's not even related to the Treo.

I find the best "review" is to read all the issues - I then can decide if it's worth the plunge.

I bet a few Mac Forum folks wish they knew some of those things in advance.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I thinks all those quoted posts give warning to people that the iPhone deficiencies do affect real people, not just in theory, but in practice too. Its part of the research people always demand others do before taking a $600 plunge.

Surur

My point is this. You have never touched an iPhone. Yet you repost other people issues from the macforums board. Perhaps if you have used an iPhone, you might realize that some of the things you repost are not a real big issue. For example, your posting about the safari crashes. If you had used an iPhone, you might see that it happens infrequently, and when it does, its no big deal. You just need to relaunch the browser. Not knowing first hand, I can understand the concern. But reality never really matches up to the complaints of a cell phone message board.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmm

mobileman,

Just as the forums do not speak for everyone, neither does your experience.

I have used an iPhone for an extended amount of time...I also talk with several friends that have them.

Surur's post of issues from other forums are not that far off.

Of the dozen or so people I know that have one, about & third are happy and live with the "issues", a third have returned them for one reason or another, and the other third are wishing they waited, but still like it enough to wait for enhancements.

Some of the iPhones work without issues, other do not. I think this depends on usage (what you are doing).

Bottom line is that forum posts, while a self-selected skewed population, do provide some insight into overall population experiences.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
mobileman,

Just as the forums do not speak for everyone, neither does your experience.

I have used an iPhone for an extended amount of time...I also talk with several friends that have them.

Surur's post of issues from other forums are not that far off.

Of the dozen or so people I know that have one, about & third are happy and live with the "issues", a third have returned them for one reason or another, and the other third are wishing they waited, but still like it enough to wait for enhancements.

Some of the iPhones work without issues, other do not. I think this depends on usage (what you are doing).

Bottom line is that forum posts, while a self-selected skewed population, do provide some insight into overall population experiences.

And thats fine. Your thoughts are from an iPhone user, with first hand experience. You don't have to repost somebody else's issues if you have your own. I just don't see the reasoning for somebody that has never even touched an iPhone, to spend so much time posting other peoples problems.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Yep. If you regularly use your phone's calculator, and if you regularly are out of network range or find the "save to bookmark" trick too cumbersome, iphone may not meet your needs.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
you don't use your phone to browse a lot but you find greater use for the calculator? i could see that, especially in the business world. what do you use your phones for these days? hard to keep up with you!

hope all is well

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Funny thing is...

[followed by a compendium of real-world, documented complaints about the iPhone]

[Followed by, "...but it makes no nevermind to me!"]
Cmaier, did that entire post sound nearly apologistic in nature? ;)

If I understand this thread correctly, Surur's theme here is as follows: the oft-claimed, near-perfection of the iPhone is actually hype since it is just another piece of equipment with a nice interface, some limited utility in a specific function set, and many of the same problems that have been solved by other manufacturers in the industry. It's encouraging to know none if these issues personally affect you, but it does little to assuage those who are experiencing real shortfalls in their $600 device. Surur's unselfish attempt to make others aware of the iPhone's shortcomings before committing to a $600 investment (or a $60 return fee) is commendable. :thumbsup:

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
you don't use your phone to browse a lot but you find greater use for the calculator? i could see that, especially in the business world. what do you use your phones for these days? hard to keep up with you!

hope all is well

Phone calls and texts mainly. Email also. The calculator is needed for adding up totals accurately, figuring out how much to divide up of a lump sum for certain things, or calculating tax. At least a CE button is needed in my case, even if they don't add the % button.

I would do more browsing, but since I get to be at my laptop a lot, I just use it.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Apple has left out a lot of stuff in the iPhone, such as not to give the impression that they are doing their development intelligently, but that they are doing it cheaply.

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I'm still confused as to why some things were left out. Other phones should have been a guideline as to what's expected on a $600 phone. Sony Ericsson seems to know what to put on a $600 phone, Nokia also.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
From the land of the iPhone lovers....

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/30/BUUSR98VL1.DTL

What strikes me (but not unsurprisingly) is the apologistic nature of the article/people who have issues.

"But they're not omnipresent and they're not omnipotent either"

I guess the bottom line is, you can release a device with glaring issues at a premium price, and then just fix them later (maybe), and the public will just accept it.

I'm pretty sure the Treo 600 syndrome is at work - "I pay top dollar to beta test your product". (Although I have don't think the iPhone is as buggy as the the Treo 600).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Poor iPhone users are getting desperate for an update however. Will Steve protect them from crackers or not? I bet they have never felt so much like a target before.

- Apple better damn well put out a release before the exploit goes public

St. Germain 07-29-2007 09:26 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apple better damn well put out a release before the exploit goes public

There is no excuse whatsoever for :apple: to not put out an update to fix the exploit that was found. Right now it's ok that there's no fix because it only exists in a closed lab. However since that group is explaining the vulnerability to the Black Hat conference on Aug. 2nd, there is no excuse for there not to be a fix out by then.

The iPhone is particularly vulnerable because it relies heavily on online "applications." All some hacker (the evil kind) would need to do is design a semi-popular iPhone app that iPhone users would flock to, then exploit away.

I would be very happy to wake up tomorrow to the first iPhone patch.

javaGuru 07-29-2007 09:40 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that they definitely need to submit a patch for the security risk very soon. Hopefully they are working dilagently on getting this update ready to be released very soon.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=335315

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Poor iPhone users are getting desperate for an update however. Will Steve protect them from crackers or not? I bet they have never felt so much like a target before.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=335315

Surur

I have doubts that Apple feels like a target. If a user installs something (or more appropriately, visits a "bad" site), Apple just shrugs and says, "you should be more careful visiting strange sites."

I think we should start a pool for when the first iPhone update comes out....

Aug? Sept? Oct? Nov? Dec? January?

We know it's not July (unless something pops today to tomorrow).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2