10 Things that "Absolutely suck" about the iPhone. (Yes I have one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I tried the webapps you posted links for.

Nice...except I have to be connected to use it...or wait for the data connection to the server to be made and the app downloaded, which is time I'd rather not waste.

Not sure where preferring reset and crashes comes from...no on wants those.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
The webapps I write are generally client-side only, so once they're loaded, no need for a net connection. If you have a "tab" open with the document, that is. I am not sure how it decides when to cache stuff - i think if you click a bookmark, it always tries the network.

Postal

May 5, 2006
Visit site
Surur, what phone do you use?

ivzj01yb.jpg

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

Sorry, I did not see that post. Crane is on my ignore list.

This is my active collection at present.

4762-IMG5633s.jpg

The HTC Touch is incredible small, and the Touch interface addictive, but the lack of 3G is starting to get on my nerves, specifically not being able to download podcasts directly to the device, or stream music at GPRS speeds (No EDGE on most networks in UK)

0000000257_LG4R38230103138.jpg

The HTC Universal has been my work horse for 17 months so far. The keyboard is just brilliant, and the 220 dpi 3.6 inch screen is just lovely. I am using it with the Touch at present, but I leave it in my bag most of the time. I use it every day to tether and take notes. Upgrade time is coming, and the HTC Omni would fill it's shoes nicely.

4486-IMG3528s.jpg

The HTC Vox is only 3 months old, but it was my first WM standard device. It worked better than I thought, but I ended up using it only for a month. I dropped it as soon as the Touch came out. Its lying on my desk right now, making me feel guilty for wasting ?300 pounds.

cmdpreviewinwebbrowserbl6.jpg

My wife's HP 6915, which I use on occasion. Its main feature is the built-in GPS and keyboard. I actually like the device a lot, and I have recently asked her if she wants it upgraded, and she declined. I guess being able to find your location anywhere and find your way home is more valuable than I thought. There is no device at present which has the similar form factor and features, but I understand HP is working on a replacement itself.

And thats my gadget bag.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Now this is amusing. The whole raison d'?tre of the iPhone browser is whats causing it to crash...

- Increase your Safari stability

inferno10 07-29-2007 02:03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Increase your Safari stability

I think I discovered what is causing Safari on iphones to crash, especially on HowardForums. Seems that JavaScript is the culprit, as turning off JavaScript in Safari preferences significantly improved my browser's uptime. I'm even typing this message from my iPhone with multiple tabs open while listening to music in the iPod app!

Go disable Javascript (found in Settings > Safari) and post if your browser stability improves. It'll suck if you want to run an Ajax app, but browsing HoFo is much more important. :)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1211498

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
why is my Safari browser not crashing? why is my iPhone not rebooting itself? i feel like i'm missing out. might be time to recharge one of my dusty old Treos to rekindle those feelings.

that HTC Touch is cool, looks real small, but it doesn't appear to have a keyboard and if it's virtual, would probably be non-functional. and it doesn't have 3G! not sure it would work as a business device for me, might be a neat little text'r for someone i'm sure.

i'm going to buy a Mogul today just to try one out, to see what i might be missing. but i'm afraid the bulkiness and the slideout keyboard will be its demise.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
that HTC Touch is cool, looks real small, but it doesn't appear to have a keyboard and if it's virtual, would probably be non-functional. and it doesn't have 3G! not sure it would work as a business device for me, might be a neat little text'r for someone i'm sure.

i'm going to buy a Mogul today just to try one out, to see what i might be missing. but i'm afraid the bulkiness and the slideout keyboard will be its demise.

There's no perfect device, thats why we have a few....

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Now this is amusing. The whole raison d'?tre of the iPhone browser is whats causing it to crash...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1211498

Surur

This matches my earlier observations. I believe the problem is a memory management problem in the javascript engine (probably a bug in garbage collection).

Note, however, that this isn't a case of "if you have javascript on you will crash." More like "if you crashed, it was because of javascript."

I seem to crash about once a day, which is annoying. Importantly, crashing safari on the iphone is about as pleasant as crashing can be. It crashes instantly, you restart it instantly, and you're back where you were.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
what website can i try to see if it crashes my device? sounds like i'm not visiting sites that cause these types of problems.

thanks in advance

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I haven't seen a lot of repeatability. Typically when I crash, I crash when i have tabs open with, say, gmail, adsense, or other ajax sites open, and then I open another one or reload a page. When it crashes, it crashes on page load.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
Surur,

I wasn't aware you lived in the U.K. So you have been complaining about the iPhone for awhile now and have used it zero times. Just wondering what your motivation for spending so much time searching for negative iphone posts on the net and reposting them here for a phone you have never seen first hand.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
The webapps I write are generally client-side only, so once they're loaded, no need for a net connection. If you have a "tab" open with the document, that is. I am not sure how it decides when to cache stuff - i think if you click a bookmark, it always tries the network.

pretty neat app. Took about 5 seconds to load on my iPhone.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Surur,

I wasn't aware you lived in the U.K. So you have been complaining about the iPhone for awhile now and have used it zero times. Just wondering what your motivation for spending so much time searching for negative iphone posts on the net and reposting them here for a phone you have never seen first hand.

I hate undeserved hype, especially the type Apple thrives on. I am doing my small part to puncture it. I think there are a few 100 TreoCentral users who are now better informed about the iPhone and its failings, and that is thanks enough.

Surur

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I hate undeserved hype, especially the type Apple thrives on. I am doing my small part to puncture it. I think there are a few 100 TreoCentral users who are now better informed about the iPhone and its failings, and that is thanks enough.

Surur

Funny thing is, after all those posts, I don't think I've learned anything of consequence (to me) that I didn't already know when I bought my iphones.

I apologize if I mistakenly attribute any of the following to you - there have been so many posts on so many threads...

Of consequence:
- no 3G/Edge is not fast. Already knew it. And I'm still in better shape than I was on my treo 650
- no 3rd party apps. Already knew it. There are some nice web apps, and i've written a few. Still hoping for an SDK. This is a big one.
- no file system access. No cut/paste. Yep, already knew that. Partial cut/paste solution with bookmarklets.
- no gps. yep, knew that.
- battery: not user-replaceable sucks. I have no concerns about capacity, lifespan, etc.
- carrier lock-in. I may have stuck with sprint if they offered it. Not sure. Since I'm travelling to germany and holland on business in the near future, it would be nice if i could buy local pre-paid sims and shove them in the iphone. Not the end of the world for me.

Untrue:
- lock-ups, phone crashes, crashes during phone calls, etc. Untrue to the extent that the implication is they are universal (or probably common). Neither of my phones has ever crashed or rebooted.

Silly:
- no updates yet. Ok. I don't care if other people are whining about this. They'll come.

Just don't care:
- calculator sucks. Yep. Every cellphone calculator sucks by my standards, though iphone sucks more than many others.
- no mms. never used it. never will
- no chat. jivetalk works great, and i always chat on my browser anyway.
- no a2dp. Never used it. never will (at least until i someday buy a new car).

True, but not a big deal:
- safari crashes. Yep. But when a crash happens it costs you almost 0 time, and only one click. Still needs to be solved, and probably will be.
- not true: safari crashes whenever you use ipod features. Not with my 2 iphones, at least. In fact, has never happened.

I'm sure I missed a lot, but other than passing off isolated complaints as general problems, not a lot going on here I think.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Condensed and has been rehashed by many of us but perhaps this will carry more weight in how it is presented here. Now will come why it isn't unlocked and how choices were made for us. Then we'll hear about how Jobs said this and that and how it's not 5yrs ahead of its time and the vicious circle will begin once again.

I do agree with you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal